SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-08-16, 07:28 PM   #1111
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0

You are right those ships are really nice looking...But they would look better with large holes in them topped off with a lot of fire and smoke...
Old 08-08-16, 07:29 PM   #1112
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

I've been doing all the other Single Missions from the stock game (haven't found anymore problem children), and I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but they are *tough* now, compared to what I had been doing with them previously... Seems the destroyers though are either super-human, or incapable of operating a sonar console, one or the other, with little in between. I just had two toughies come after me, and it came down to a me or them, so I did get them, but after those two were gone, the four that were left acted like little scared chickens, running away from the farmer with an axe in his hand... I got quite a bit more fight out of the two merchants that were left. The two biggest, of course, and apparently the "key" to completing the primary objective of the mission. I've sunk 2 DD and 4 merchants, and left the other four DDs still looking for me, going round and round in circles. Not cool, but "to my advantage" thunk I... these two merchants are running, so I surfaced (after we're a-ways from the DD convention). They're 6200 yards away, and they are firing on me. The gall. Straddling me too, so I went back down. Tried again a while later, when they were 7200 yards away. They started shooting at me. Mind you, I'm going AWAY from them. Back down I go. we'll try again later for an end-around... Anyway, an SM, last on the list of the "stock" missions "Borneo Convoy". I think you're in a Balao... Been at it for an hour plus... I'm looking forward (what?!?!!? are you NUTZ???) to cdrsubron7's Aleutian Islands missions, crazy as that sounds...

btw, perty ships, max.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 07:45 PM   #1113
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Wolverine View Post
You are right those ships are really nice looking...But they would look better with large holes in them topped off with a lot of fire and smoke...
You are quite right on the RW. Two of the ships have been damaged when I took that screenie. The one on the left hasn't been scratched yet.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 07:47 PM   #1114
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm looking forward (what?!?!!? are you NUTZ???) to cdrsubron7's Aleutian Islands missions, crazy as that sounds...

They will be uploaded probably Wednesday night. Have one more mission to attend to.

Old 08-08-16, 07:54 PM   #1115
propbeanie

Noice...

In the meantime, I've just CTD'd in the SM... ratz... About 1/2 way around these last 2 jaybirds, and I crashed. Between this and the oddball looking fireballs I've gotten lately, me thinks I'm going to do another "fresh" install and try again. I've been doing too much experimenting with other mods on top of FotRS Ultimate, and while it might initially look like several will work, I'm not so sure now... Ratz. More "testing" time is needed, eh?...

Old 08-08-16, 09:24 PM   #1116
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Dang, wrong again.

pb ya talked me into it. The Aleutian missions have just been uploaded to the storage area. The mission titles are listed below.

1. Aleutians Gauntlet
2. Attu Bound
3. Kiska Unbound
4. South Of Kiska
5. Three Of A Kind

The next set of 5 missions will take place in the Marshall Islands.

Old 08-09-16, 07:19 AM   #1117
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Thank you! But beware! A skilled speaker or writer can say complete bullhockey and make it sound very plausible. Take Hillary Clinton's latest television commercial for instance. She's going to "finally" (they already pay over 50% of federal revenues) make the corporations (corporations cannot pay taxes. To survive they MUST pass those taxes plus expenses onto the public in the form of higher prices) and "fat cats" (those are the people who produce the jobs) pay their "fair share" (that means raise their taxes greatly) so that she can use the money to create jobs in a way never seen before (government creates NOTHING. It is a cost to society and generates no wealth except for the lawmakers like Hillary). So, translated into English, she is going to penalize the wage payers so that the wage earners can make more money. Wage payers participate in the economy voluntarily. They have the freedom not to produce because they have assets to survive on even if they have no income. The wage earners typically can survive a couple of weeks without income. Get the wage payers torqued and we'll see a depression that makes the Great Depression of the 20's, 30's and 40's look like a carnival. The wage payers who close their businesses will take their money and have a carnival while we literally die of starvation. We would deserve our fate if we vote for her, openly advertising catastrophe.

Is this little diatribe really necessary or appropriate to a subsim forum? Political opinion belongs on your personal FB page, not this forum. Please stop.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 08:57 AM   #1118
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I agree. Politics belongs in the General Topics forum.
Old 08-09-16, 12:46 PM   #1119
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just wondering. Awhile back Hitman offered the use of three Japanese merchant ships for FOTRSU. Can anything be done about them or can someone in our group finish up these ships so they can be added to FOTRSU?

I'd take on the job myself if I had any clue about what to do.

Old 08-09-16, 01:18 PM   #1120
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

I seem to have to much time on my hands this afternoon, as a result I'm doing way to much thinking about things. I know I'll get a headache because of this

Anyway, I'm wondering if we could get all classes of merchantships in FOTRSU with the same kind of names. Right now, we have some that are such a maru class and the FOTRS merchantships are named Big Old tanker, Big Split Merchant, soforth and ect........

I'd like to see all the merchants with the same nomenclature which would be like Horai Maru class as an example.

What are your opinions, guys? Then what procedure is done to switch the names? I'm more than willing to undertake this job with alittle instructional help.

CapnScury, do you have any knowledge of what needs to be done?

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-09-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-09-16, 02:55 PM   #1121
propbeanie

I concur on the naming convention, would be very cool... however, I imaginie that ~may~ be opening a can of worms, best left for another, "fully compliant, properly numbered, FotRS Ultimate Edition™ ® ©" (as the case may be) "mod", coming soon to a download near you, from someone other than you or me... I ain't got the chops for it, but AHL HALP too!

Old 08-09-16, 03:01 PM   #1122
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Is this little diatribe really necessary or appropriate to a subsim forum? Political opinion belongs on your personal FB page, not this forum. Please stop.
Absolutely necessary. This "commercial" laced with internal contradictions is well-delivered and will persuade the unaware. Political opinion has nothing to do with it. You can never benefit the wage earner by punishing the wage payer. If you feed your car kerosene it will not take you to work. As such, it is a perfect illustration of my assertation to pay attention to the message and not the beautiful form it is delivered in.

So is saying that wage payers take part in the economy voluntarily but we take part out of necessity a political statement or truth? Is saying that the wage payers can elect not to pay wages, while we require wages to live a political statement or truth? Is it true or not that it is impossible to tax a corporation because they pass those taxes plus expenses onto the individual consumer, and it would save the consumer money if they just taxed the individual? If times get rough the business owners close their businesses and go on a world cruise. We starve. No political person is saying that, so how can what I say here be political? It is truth. Truth knows no politics.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-09-16 at 03:14 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 03:10 PM   #1123
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
Political opinion belongs on your personal FB page, not this forum. Please stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
I agree. Politics belongs in the General Topics forum.
Yep, I'm in full agreement.

================

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7
Anyway, I'm wondering if we could get all classes of merchantships in FOTRSU with the same kind of names. Right now, we have some that are such a maru class and the FOTRS merchantships are named Big Old tanker, Big Split Merchant, soforth and ect........

I'd like to see all the merchants with the same nomenclature which would be like Horai Maru class as an example.

What are your opinions, guys? Then what procedure is done to switch the names? I'm more than willing to undertake this job with a little instructional help.

CapnScuvry, do you have any knowledge of what needs to be done?
Yes.

Each modeled asset in the game has a name. Actually they have two, a name used by the game itself, and the name we see while playing the game. Sometimes it fits the asset, sometimes its not even close. The ship name used within the game (behind the scenes) is the UnitName=whatever found it its .cfg file of the Data/Sea/NSS_Whaterver folder. These names are all in the Data/Roster/Names.cfg file (if they aren't, you'll not get the asset to work correctly....causing a quick CTD usually).

So, two things need to be done. Know which ship has what UnitName=xxxxxxx. Then match the UnitName to whatever the "given" name of the ship is within the Names.cfg file. It's in this file that gives us the "Big Old....", or "Modern......" that just doesn't fit (in my opinion) either.

That's the mechanic's of what to do. Pretty easy.....You can change UnitName=Cat, into given name "Dog", and its "Dog" that you'll see representing the model in-game.

What you'll really need to do, is do some homework. Go through old identification books that list names of ship classes and try to match up what the game ships look like, to what the true ships looked like and try to make a close match. Once satisfied with the match, use whatever names the real ships used for the Names.cfg file. There's lots of recourse's you could use to research the ships FOTRS added. Don't just look through the Japanese recourses, look at the English or American ship builders too. Japanese shipping lines bought foreign ships too.

Actually, the stock game used many authentic names when it made the original ships UnitName, but called them something like "Modern Split Composite" in-game......some of the work is already done for you by just following the stock games system of naming, and using the UnitName as its "given" name. Thinking of the ships coming from a "Class" of ships, rather than an individual named ship, would be helpful too.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 08-09-16 at 03:20 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 03:14 PM   #1124
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I concur on the naming convention, would be very cool... however, I imaginie that ~may~ be opening a can of worms, best left for another, "fully compliant, properly numbered, FotRS Ultimate Edition™ ® ©" (as the case may be) "mod", coming soon to a download near you, from someone other than you or me... I ain't got the chops for it, but AHL HALP too!
I'm not quite I follow you, pb. I'm sure the naming procedure isn't that difficult, it's making the proper Id of each ship. I think I read somewhere that Maddy imported some merchant ships from SHIII.

Old 08-09-16, 03:18 PM   #1125
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yep, I'm in full agreement.

================

Yes.

Each modeled asset in the game has a name. Actually they have two, a name used by the game itself, and the name we see while playing the game. Sometimes it fits the asset, sometimes its not even close. The ship name used within the game (behind the scenes) is the UnitName=whatever found it its .cfg file of the Data/Sea/NSS_Whaterver folder. These names are all in the Data/Roster/Names.cfg file (if they aren't, you'll not get the asset to work correctly....causing a quick CTD usually).

So, two things need to be done. Know which ship has what UnitName=xxxxxxx. Then match the UnitName to whatever the "given" name of the ship is within the Names.cfg file. It's in this file that gives us the "Big Old....", or "Modern......" that just doesn't fit (in my opinion) either.

That's the mechanic's of what to do. Pretty easy.....You can change UnitName=Cat, into given name "Dog", and its "Dog" that you'll see representing the model in-game.

What you'll really need to do, is do some homework. Go through old identification books that list names of ship classes and try to match up what the game ships look like, to what the true ships looked like and try to make a close match. Once satisfied with the match, use whatever names the real ships used for the Names.cfg file. There's lots of recourse's you could use to research the ships FOTRS added. Don't just look through the Japanese recourses, look at the English or American ship builders too. Japanese shipping lines bought foreign ships too.

Actually, the stock game used many authentic names when it made the original ships UnitName, but called them something like "Modern Split Composite" in-game......some of the work is already done for you by just following the stock games system of naming, and using the UnitName as its "given" name.
Yeah, I realize that there would be some homework involved. I appreciate the help, sir.

Thanks, Capn.