SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-16, 07:34 AM   #31
SwissSubCommander
Asso dei Siluratori

Downloads: 330
Uploads: 2

When I try to save the changes in the sh4.exe in the editor it tells me "can not overwrite original file"
SwissSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:57 PM   #32
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissSubCommander View Post
When I try to save the changes in the sh4.exe in the editor it tells me "can not overwrite original file"
It's read-only right now. You need to clear the check mark next to 'Read-only' in the file properties. (Right click on the file, click properties in the pop-up menu. It should open in the General tab; Attributes are the bottom row.) That should allow you to overwrite it.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 06:28 AM   #33
SwissSubCommander
Asso dei Siluratori

Downloads: 330

I did everything in the correct order. But the game still crashes after the loading screen if I have any mod installed
SwissSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 02:04 PM   #34
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Does the game crash with no mods enabled?

Are you running SH4 v1.5?

Does the SH4 game shortcut point to sh4.exe or gu.exe? With DVD installs (the best IMO) the gu.exe will always check for updates and gets confused if the game is modded. It is best to have the shortcut point directly to sh4.exe.

I don't know about Steam other than it is initially v1.3 and needs to be updated to at least v1.4, however most mods are for v1.5 the 'U-boat' expansion.

Need more info about your install and answers to questions above.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 02:21 PM   #35
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

In Steam, make sure the game installs outside the /program files (x86) directory, as it is guarded against change by the Microsoft pitbulls. I have mine installed in a root directory called /ubisoft/wolves of the pacific.

Well, that's a lie right now. It's installed in home/.wine/program files (x86) because WINE under Linux doesn't do the stupid operating system tricks that Windows does and the game runs just peachy right from there.

Then make sure your desktop shortcut points to SH4.exe, not gu.exe, and write enable sh4.exe. NOW run Large Address Aware and tell it that sh4.exe needs access to more than 4 GB (actually it's 3.2, but what's .8 GB among friends?) You can write protect SH4.exe again if you want but I haven't seen any bad effects from just leaving the fool thing alone.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 10:21 PM   #36
Crash Dive
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Thank you for the info
Old 07-09-17, 08:33 AM   #37
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Having this thread "reappear", showed me I needed to fix the one image that shows the games "sh4.exe" file "Properties" page.....where you uncheck the "Read-only" value so the file can be changed to accept additional memory during gameplay. Without unchecking this default game parameter, you will not get any of the possible memory access applications to work! Here's the reply.

Since this thread was started in 2013 there has been some changes to Operating Systems (Windows 10 has been released) so it's important to keep up with what's new/different. One being, the newer OS uses a different .netFramework version which is critical to having the Large Address Aware function as intended. On the LAA site you'll find two versions of the LAA app for download. One for the older .netFramework versions, one for the newer version packaged with Windows 10. You'll need to know how to check which .netFramework version your System has.

To keep from repeating myself, please follow this thread: "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" to understand the steps to take installing the game; setting it up correctly; adding the correct version of LAA; following steps after the game is installed to prevent problems in the future.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-24, 06:45 PM   #38
dlsa
Watch

Downloads: 31

Having memory problems. Tried the LAA on the executable (yes I removed the redonly check box from it before), but the game gets corrupted during time compression or even when paused for some hours.

The map station only displays the ocean and ports, the land disappears, and a lot of graphical artifacts appear in almost every station. The UI stops working.

I tried acessing : http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patro...ry-boost.shtml but I am getting a 404.
Anyone knows if there is an alternative site where I can read this workaround ?

Thanks,
Regards
Old 02-04-24, 09:16 PM   #39
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsa View Post
Having memory problems. Tried the LAA on the executable (yes I removed the redonly check box from it before), but the game gets corrupted during time compression or even when paused for some hours.

The map station only displays the ocean and ports, the land disappears, and a lot of graphical artifacts appear in almost every station. The UI stops working.

I tried acessing : http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patro...ry-boost.shtml but I am getting a 404.
Anyone knows if there is an alternative site where I can read this workaround ?

Thanks,
Regards
well....a few questions for you before we can recommend a fix:
  1. in what folder have you installed SH4?
  2. which version of SH4 are you trying to play, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.5 with Uboat Missions?
  3. if you are playing SH4 with some mods, can you post your config? using JSGME, click Tasks, Copy to Clipboard, then paste here in a reply (ctrl+v).

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-24, 09:18 PM   #40
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

subsowespac is no longer active, unfortunately. If you are running mods, run JSGME and click on the "Tasks..." link in the middle, and choose "Export activated mod list to --->" and choose "Clipboard" and psste that into your next post, or choose "Text file" and then copy and paste that into your next post. Also, what folder do you have SH4 installed in? What is the source of your SH4 (Steam, Ubisoft downloads or disk)? Also, depending upon your computer, you might have to adjust the SH4.exe Properties. Navigate into your game folder, select the SH4.exe again, and click on the "Compatibility" tab. Some experimentation is required here. You might only need to change one thing, or you mgith need to do them all. Refer to this:

The Win10 and 11 screens are very similar. The Win7 screen is slightly different, and does not have the same "Change high DPI settings" button.

KM posted faster!!! lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-24, 06:22 PM   #41
dlsa
Watch

Downloads: 31

I installed the game on a win 7 64 bit box.
The Processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6700 at 2.66 GHz with 8 GB of memory.

I am running SH v1.5 modded.
The directory where I installed the game was on drive F:\games\SH4.
I then copied this directory to the F:\games folder, and added JSGME.
I then installed the Berbsters mod collection on to this copy of the game.

JSGME config :
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\games\SH4TheBerbsters\MODS]

1 Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
10 Eye Patch for Stock
11 Pacific Sound Mod
9 Webster's New sonar view for v1.5
8 Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v2
8 Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v1
7 Extra Allied naval bases for Stock SH4 + UBM v3.0
6 Bigger Better Protractors
5 Webster's No Crew Fatigue
4 GFO Patch for Real Env
3 Real Environment mod install
2 MaxOptics IV for GFO 1.1
17 Remove grain effect
16 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
15 Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Large
14 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
13 sobers compass mod_version color
12 Stop The Shouting

I installed the game from the DVDs. Both base game and Uboat missions

Thanks
Old 02-15-24, 05:57 PM   #42
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsa View Post
I installed the game on a win 7 64 bit box.
The Processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6700 at 2.66 GHz with 8 GB of memory.

I am running SH v1.5 modded.
The directory where I installed the game was on drive F:\games\SH4.
I then copied this directory to the F:\games folder, and added JSGME.
I then installed the Berbsters mod collection on to this copy of the game.

JSGME config :
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\games\SH4TheBerbsters\MODS]

I installed the game from the DVDs. Both base game and Uboat missions

Thanks
ok, that's quite a list. some of the mods i have not heard of and have not used. here is what i can say.

i strongly suggest that you use Large Address Aware (LAA). Even though you system has 8gb memory SH4 in its natural state uses 1-2 gb. LAA will allow it to use up to 4 gb. you will find it in the MODS forum. ignore the 32-bit thing. i have using it in two 64-bit OS with SH4.

1 Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1 - load first

these conflict with each other, especially the first two. Not sure about the remainders. i'd drop the second one and test the working order of the remainder.
15 Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Large-Menu(Gui, Skins, menu.ini)
13 sobers compass mod_version color-changes the compass on the HUD. may conflict
6 Bigger Better Protractors-changes HUD tools on Nav map
2 MaxOptics IV for GFO 1.1 (CFG, Library, Menu (menu.ini), Movies, Texture)

The first one is was developed in 2009 so it may not work with 1.5. the last two seems to be overlapping although they change different files. i suggest dropping the first and test with the remaining.
3 Real Environment mod install-some had CTD others ok.
4 GFO Patch for Real Env
17 Remove grain effect-changes Noise.dds 2009
16 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton - changes impurity-load last directions

these two are mutually exclusive. load one only
8 Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v2-
8 Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v1

These two are changing the same files, for the most part. choose one.
12 Stop The Shouting
11 Pacific Sound Mod

This will change GFO's campaign file. It should not casue a problem but it may.
7 Extra Allied naval bases for Stock SH4 + UBM v3.0-changes US Naval Bases campaign file

10 Eye Patch for Stock - should not conflict
5 Webster's No Crew Fatigue - should not conflict

9 Webster's New sonar view for v1.5-changes the Interior files for 3 boats-load last directions

14 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)-load last directions

whew. had to do a bit of research because some of these mods are not familiar to me.
i am sure that others will comment on my comments.

Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 08:55 AM   #43
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

In reality dlsa, the idea behind THEBERBSTER's mix of Webster's GFO mod was to help in having a compatible mix. It is best to use only the mods THEBERBSTER included. The Real Environment is nice, but you install the GFO patch for it after the environment mod. You would install MaxOptics after that. MaxOptics changes the view perspectives from the bridge, TBT & periscopes. As KM mentions, only use ONE deck gun mod. You do not need the Eye Patch mod for v1.5 of the game. Stop the Shouting is also not necessary, but is nice when your boat takes damage. It copies the "normal" voices into the "shouting" voices folders.

When you activate some of the other mods after your initial first few, you do have to look for the ones that alter the menu_1024_768.ini file, which is what controls what you "see" with all of the 2D environments in the boat. So once you load Webster's New Sonar View, you will most likely encounter warnings of that file being overwritten by some of the mods that follow. When that happens, you basically over-write the preceding mod, and lose its benefit - hence the idea of only using the mods that THEBERBSTER included, other than the sound and environment mods. You can use other mods, you just have to be careful of what they overwrite, as KM said. You will want to determine what is more important to keep. Slightly re-ordered:
1 Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
3 Real Environment mod install
4 GFO Patch for Real Env
2 MaxOptics IV for GFO 1.1
8 Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v2
11 Pacific Sound Mod
9 Webster's New sonar view for v1.5
... blah blah blah ...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote