SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-17, 05:17 PM   #1
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Default So, about those plane attacks

Those terrible nerve breaking situations. I have been notice something that want to ask if some one notice the same.

I currently have 2 campaigns, one with a Type VII and other with a Type IX. The first is now at November of 42 and the latter in August of the same year.
I started a new patrol in the type IX and in transit to the patrol area, NW of Cape Fisterra, I got radar warnings (already have the Biscay cross) and so planes.
Had several moments of crash diving, going submerge and after going to surface to recharge, only manage to stay at for a few time, then the planes would arrive, etc.
In other patrols of this boat, from spring 42, I began to see more planes and being attack by them, normal situation.
Now, the other side. In the campaign with the type VII, in the same months and so on, I never experienced the rising of the air patrols and subsequent attacks. My last patrol in Nov of 42, at the north Atlantic, never saw any enemy plane. Granted that the weather plays a important role, but even with heavy clouds/no rain/moderate visibility, I got attack by planes when playing with the type IX, but not with the Type VII.

Any one ever experienced this? I find that in, in terms of realism when playing with one type, the game acts more historic realistic and when playing with the Type VII, were are the planes, I ask in a more immersing kind of way.
Of course, I know that several things can influence the game behavior.
I play GWX+SH3 Commander+several mods (with H.Sie and Stiebler).
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 06:46 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

There are air coverage zones in the game. Depending where you are.

As the war progresses, the air coverage gets worse. Especially the long convoy routes to and from England.

It makes sense the type IX would see more air coverage later, as the allies were prioritizing security to the convoys crossing the Atlantic.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 01:20 AM   #3
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Perhaps the bigger Type IX can be more easily detected by aircraft radar than a Type VII and that is why you have more enemy encounter in a Type IX.
Old 04-27-17, 05:26 AM   #4
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by allievo View Post
Perhaps the bigger Type IX can be more easily detected by aircraft radar than a Type VII and that is why you have more enemy encounter in a Type IX.
Could be, if the game engine has that kind of ability. But it could like bstanko6 said plus just some coincidence that my routes with the IX pass by the air coverage zones more times than when playing in my other campaign.

Well, no sunshine for everyone until the air gap zones...
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 06:06 AM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Convoy routes like HX or PC have the most coverage, as well as CAM ships which provide air cover. Good luck!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 11:29 AM   #6
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

If I read it correctly, the OP states your patrols were in two different areas.

As bstanko6 noted, the air patrol/airstrike coverage is based on different zones throughout the game "map". These are established by specific aircraft ranges from individual air bases around the game world.

In the game, you can find the active air bases on the chart (only landlubbers use maps!), each symbol shows up with the location of the base and identification of the aircraft operating from that base. IIRC the existence of land air bases is controlled by the Campaign_LND.mis file in the data/Campaigns/Campaign folder; CAM ships and aircraft carriers are created in the SCR and RND files. In order to simulate increased air coverage, more air bases (and CAM ships and aircraft carriers) are activated as the war progresses.

Good hunting!

You'll find the settings for patrol/strike coverage in the data/Cfg folder, the file is AirStrike.cfg. The very first entry is Maximum Aircraft Range, which sets the boundary of the zone of air coverage for each active air base.

I felt that a single set of controlling parameters in the AirStrike.cfg file was producing an "unrealistic" representation of the number and efficiency of Allied air patrols and strikes, especially during the first year or two of the war. So, I made four copies of that file, revised the values to be more representative of ASW air patrols in 1939, 1941, 1943, and 1945 and put those files into appropriate Date folders in SH3 Commander. Seems to work better; I've only gotten through 1939 - 1942 thus far with those changes, will have to see what happens in 1943.

allievo is also correct; radar detection, as well as visual and active sonar detection, is primarily governed by the surface area of the target (your boat) as seen from the searching platform. You can find those values in the data\Cfg\sim.cfg files; [Visual], [Radar] and [Sonar] Enemy surface factor. You can tweak those values (and others in that .cfg file) and put your modified sim.cfg files into the Date folders in SH3 Commander to represent improvements in Allied ASW capabilities as the war progresses.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 02:20 PM   #7
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Capt can you get your airstrike files please? What were you saying

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 02:51 PM   #8
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default Sure...

Here is a copy of the working paper that I've been using to experiment with the settings that I've been placing in the SH3 CDR Date folders. I wasn't completely satisfied and was still trying to figure out what some of the values really do...then my entire SH3 installation (both LSH3 and GWX3) crashed and I haven't been able to get back to work on any of it. If you want to use this, do so at your own risk...good luck and good hunting.

Airstrike Session:
1. Compute airbases in range according to their aircraft maximum ranges
2. Compute air coverage factors on allies/axis/neutral on the target zone
3. Compute airstrike probability from each base
3.1 check number of aircraft that can strike at that range and conditions, and compute a coverage factor based on the range of each aircraft type and detection area around submarine ( 10 km radius )
3.2 multiply coverage factor for the target area with :
- current airstrike probability againt that side
- nigft factor ( if necessary )
- airbase competence
- close to airbase factor
3.3 check probability for airstrike
3.4 add more aircraft probabilistically for a large target

SH3 CDR 1939 0901 Settings...
Maximum Aircraft Range=1000 ;[>0] in kilometers
Poor Airbase Modifier=0.2 ;[>0] Modifier for poor airbase (carrier) rating
Novice Airbase Modifier=0.35 ;[>0] Modifier for novice airbase (carrier) rating
Competent Airbase Modifier=0.75 ;[>0] Modifier for competent airbase (carrier) rating
Veteran Airbase Modifier=1.0 ;[>0] Modifier for veteran airbase (carrier) rating
Elite Airbase Modifier=2.0 ;[>0] Modifier for elite airbase (carrier) rating
Night Modifier=0.5 ;[>0] Modifier on strike probability at night
Default Air Strike Probability=10 ;[>0] Default probability to send an airstrike from a airbase (carrier)
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Radio Messages Sent=30 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a radio message sent
Friendly Air Strike Probability Increase on Contact Report Sent=50 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a contact message sent
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Player Detection=40 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on player detection
Atenuation Factor=10 ;[>0] decrease from an increased probability to default one on each air session
Logic Steps Between Air Sessions=30 ;[>0] steps between air fighting sessions, 30*Logic Interval(90sec) means 2700 sec or 45 min

SH3 CDR 1941 0315 settings...
Maximum Aircraft Range=1500 ;[>0] in kilometers
Novice Airbase Modifier=0.4 ;[>0] Modifier for novice airbase (carrier) rating
Competent Airbase Modifier=0.8 ;[>0] Modifier for competent airbase (carrier) rating
Veteran Airbase Modifier=1.5 ;[>0] Modifier for veteran airbase (carrier) rating
Default Air Strike Probability=15 ;[>0] Default probability to send an airstrike from a airbase (carrier)
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Radio Messages Sent=40 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a radio message sent
Friendly Air Strike Probability Increase on Contact Report Sent=60 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a contact message sent
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Player Detection=50 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on player detection
Atenuation Factor=10 ;[>0] decrease from an increased probability to default one on each air session
Logic Steps Between Air Sessions=20 ;[>0] steps between air fighting sessions, 20*Logic Interval(90sec) means 1800 sec or 30 min

SH3 CDR 1943 0501 Settings...
Maximum Aircraft Range=2000 ;[>0] in kilometers
Novice Airbase Modifier=0.5 ;[>0] Modifier for novice airbase (carrier) rating
Competent Airbase Modifier=1.0 ;[>0] Modifier for competent airbase (carrier) rating
Veteran Airbase Modifier=1.5 ;[>0] Modifier for veteran airbase (carrier) rating
Default Air Strike Probability=20 ;[>0] Default probability to send an airstrike from a airbase (carrier)
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Radio Messages Sent=50 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a radio message sent
Friendly Air Strike Probability Increase on Contact Report Sent=80 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a contact message sent
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Player Detection=60 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on player detection
Logic Steps Between Air Sessions=14 ;[>0] steps between air fighting sessions, 14*Logic Interval(90sec) means 1260 sec or 21 min

SH3 CDR 1945 Settings...
Maximum Aircraft Range=2500 ;[>0] in kilometers
Novice Airbase Modifier=0.5 ;[>0] Modifier for novice airbase (carrier) rating
Competent Airbase Modifier=1.5 ;[>0] Modifier for competent airbase (carrier) rating
Veteran Airbase Modifier=2.0 ;[>0] Modifier for veteran airbase (carrier) rating
Elite Airbase Modifier=2.5 ;[>0] Modifier for elite airbase (carrier) rating
Default Air Strike Probability=25 ;[>0] Default probability to send an airstrike from a airbase (carrier)
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Radio Messages Sent=60 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a radio message sent
Friendly Air Strike Probability Increase on Contact Report Sent=20 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a contact message sent
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Player Detection=80 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on player detection
Logic Steps Between Air Sessions=10 ;[>0] steps between air fighting sessions, 10*Logic Interval(90sec) means 900 sec or 15 min
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote