SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-17, 10:46 AM   #1
spccolts
Watch

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Trigger Maru Overhauled vs Operation Monsun vs fall of the rising sun

Hello all.

Almost done with my Career campaign and was thinking of trying one of these mega mods.

So I was wondering which is the best with the least amount of bugs.

Trigger Maru Overhauled, Operation Monsun, or Fall of the Rising Sun?
spccolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 12:18 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Well first you have to ask yourself 'Do I want fleet boats in the Pacific, or uboats in the Atlantic and Pacific?' OM is for the u boats and TMO and FoTRS take two different approaches to the fleet boats. You could, of course, try them all.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 12:18 PM   #3
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

That's a difficult question to answer..

---------------------------------------
Fall Of The Rising Sun Ultimate (FOTRSU) is still in Beta, it is worth playing however.
Don't forget Webster's GFO Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//dow...o=file&id=1196

Webster's GFO New Orders Bar Menu For 1.5 < Essential mod added after the main GFO mod
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//dow...o=file&id=1192

TMOwTw 2.50 doesn't have some of the restrictions that TMO 2.5 has but does have the feel and flavor of TMO 2.5

Don't forget RFB 2.0.

Many people use the RSRD campaign with the above mods however it changes many aspects of the main mod you selected too. You will be playing RSRD instead of GFO, TMOwTw 2.50, etc..

Many people don't realize that TMO hs its own campaign with added traffic layers (Taters layers ; ) modified and expanded by Ducimus that is worth playing.

There are offsite mods too. the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod is one that I enjoy. It is a campaign that can be added to Stock and most of the mods I listed above.
http://www.subsowespac.org/silent-hunter-4-mods.shtml

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 01:53 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

A lot depends on how much free disc space you have. You can go into windows explorer, create new folders with different names, then copy the original \Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific and paste in each of the new folders. Takes about 9-10 gigs for each copy. This mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=433

Is good to have if you want to keep all the save games separate for each copy of SH4.

So with four folders;

Original
Trigger Maru Overhauled
Operation Monsun
Fall of the Rising Sun

You'll have four different games using about 40 gigs disc space total.

To make it easier I created a master SH4 folder on my desktop, then browse to the original SH4 folder, copy SH4.exe, switch back to the desktop folder, paste shortcut. Change the name of the shortcut to something like "ORG", then do the same for each copy of SH4, renaming the shortcuts to match which mod it has. I also went to C:\skwas\Silent 3ditor\S3D.exe and copied that to have a shortcut to Silent 3ditor.

IF YOU'RE A MODDER:

Be advised both Silent 3ditor and SH4MissionEditor.exe default to the last folder you edited something in, so you have to doublecheck which folder you're working in each time. Found that out the hard way, I edited one of the ATO missions using SH4MissionEditor.exe in the GERMAN folder, then a week later I edited a US mission from the PACIFIC folder, and couldn't understand why my changes were ignored until I did a search for the filename and looked at the dates. Even though I was using SH4MissionEditor.exe in the PACIFIC folder, it was editing the one in the GERMAN folder because I didn't know at the time that all copies of the editor use a common program to keep track of which file in what folder was edited last.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 03:28 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Don't forget that there's Bleiente's Mod Soup mix, that is quite good, with tweaks to a TMO2.5 with RSRDC, incorporating changes to the AI and different environment...

MultiSH is your friend, as is JSGME, and potentially, Rockin Robbins CMS...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-29-17 at 03:37 PM. Reason: linkies added
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 08:09 AM   #6
spccolts
Watch

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Not much interested in U-Boats. I'm into American Subs but would be interested in having Gato or Balao in the Atlantic against German and Italians. Too bad you can't be a Destroyer against U-Boats. Wish they had that option like they did in the old Wolfpack game.
spccolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 12:39 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spccolts View Post
Not much interested in U-Boats. I'm into American Subs but would be interested in having Gato or Balao in the Atlantic against German and Italians. Too bad you can't be a Destroyer against U-Boats. Wish they had that option like they did in the old Wolfpack game.
I agree, early in the War (for the US) several new construction American boats (Gato's) headed to the Med for their first mission or two and participated in Operation Torch in 42. They didn't sink the Bismark but did do photo recons of possible landing sites on North Africa. Then they headed through the Panama Canal and into the Pacific where they finished their careers.

Another option:
You could get familiar with the Mission Editor and make almost any kind of mission you like, to add to your American career. Since Germany & Japan were Axis allies you could design a German submarine mission with Nazi boats (maybe other German surface traffic too, like Tramp steamers or a disguised Freighter) coming from the Far East to Tokyo or other Japanese ports to deliver secret supplies, and then heading back.

I think someone resolved (any) conflicts in adding German shipping.... I forget who, or what they had to do, but it wasn't too long ago that I read this.

One thing, keep your original SH4 install pristine, make a copy of it, and work on the copy so you don't need to do a reinstall. Rockin Robbins made some really nice videos describing many things including these two on how to make a copy of your SH4 install:

Thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228505
or:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...56&postcount=1
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...41&postcount=8

Happy Hunting!

Old 04-30-17, 01:20 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

I've never liked the "TMO vs RFB vs FOTRS etc, it's not a competition. All are great mods that SAVED SH 4 and furthered the community.Run Silent Run Deep as well, although TMO has a decent campaign set up.

Personally, I currently prefer TMO with RSRD. FOTRS has a lot of potential, I watch it's progress with great enthusiasm and anticipation.

OM is a great mod as well, but whole different ballgame than fleetboats in Pacific.Totally different experience. I played OM for a few patrols, it was fun but PTO and fleetboats is more interesting to me.

RFB is an impressive work as well.

I would encourage you to give them all a try and appreciate them for what they are meant to be.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 01:36 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
There are offsite mods too. the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod is one that I enjoy. It is a campaign that can be added to Stock and most of the mods I listed above.

Happy Hunting!
Please keep in mind that the author of Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod has specifically prohibited the FOTRSU team from adapting his mod to FOTRSU and the mod is NOT compatible in its present state.

We of FOTRSU have decided in no event will we do anything to make the Spyron mod work better and will develop similar capabilities of our own for FOTRSU. We are dismayed that a modder would not wish his mod to be included in the future of SH4.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 06:35 PM   #10
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker There are offsite mods too. the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod is one that I enjoy. It is a campaign that can be added to Stock and most of the mods I listed above.

Happy Hunting!

Please keep in mind that the author of Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod has specifically prohibited the FOTRSU team from adapting his mod to FOTRSU and the mod is NOT compatible in its present state.

We of FOTRSU have decided in no event will we do anything to make the Spyron mod work better and will develop similar capabilities of our own for FOTRSU. We are dismayed that a modder would not wish his mod to be included in the future of SH4.
Don't get angry with me. I was surprised when I read his terms of use back in 2008 +/- but figured it's his mod, he did the work - a tremendous amount of work & research, and it was none of my business how he chose to handle it.

If you recall, I even tried to put you in contact with him, but he remains firm in his decision to keep his terms of use.

So, please don't yell at me. Although he and I are internet friends I have no influence over him, plus I doubt he even comes to this Forum to read your posts.

As I said, the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod is one that I enjoy. Others may too. It is a campaign that can be added to Stock and most of the mods I listed above.

FOTRSU won't work with Spyron, sobeit.

As you know, any little contribution I've made to SH4 has always been open for others to use with no conditions, except users can't hold me responsible if their computers explode - that's a joke.

Happy Hunting!