SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-17, 07:43 AM   #1
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Default Pop up

Every so often I see this pop up come on, today it came up while I was reading my Emails. I always press Deny and yet the little sod keeps popping up.

POP UP MESSAGE BOX..

MIDI access requsted

The Website https://tpc.googlesyndication.com wants to get full control of your MIDI audio devices

Allow Deny

What is it?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 07:49 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

MIDI is Musical Instrument Digital Interface, where samples of over 100 instruments are stored on your computer and the MIDI system can play them. Because of the strict mathematical precision of MIDI and the "sloppy" human way of rendering music, MIDI always sounded mechanical and lifeless to most people. After a huge surge in enthusiasm through the 90s, MIDI has fallen into less popular use.

Many games still use it to great effect, however, and skillful people can make MIDI really shine. I wouldn't worry about a program wanting to issue instructions on how to play a bunch of virtual instruments. What e-mail program are you using that is requesting MIDI access?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 07:52 AM   #3
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What e-mail program are you using that is requesting MIDI access?
BT Email

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 02-18-17, 08:15 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
BT Email
Hmmmmm...... wonder what that really is? Of course internet companies just buy their e-mail programs from standard sources and they're branded for the company using them. Is is web-based or does the e-mail program live on your machine? The only e-mail that I'm aware of that uses MIDI is web based Incredimail, which I really wouldn't recommend except for stealing smileys from. Using MIDI is harmless though. I'd still recommend installing Thunderbird e-mail client from Mozilla, setting up your account as POP3 and letting your e-mail live on your local machine.
Old 02-18-17, 08:25 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

http://home.bt.com

BT= British Telecommunications

I pay line rental and broadband to them to use the phone and Internet.

Can't find anything on the PC.

UPDATE - Pop up box appeared on ask woody website.

Old 02-18-17, 08:37 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

They want to play you some soothing jazz while they commandeer your computer...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 08:38 AM   #7
STEED
Lucky Jack

Just checked my settings and one section is called MIDI full control its set on..Ask me when a site wants to use system exclusive message to access MIDI audio devices..which is the recommended option. the two other settings are Allow all and Do not allow any sites to use system exclusive message to access MIDI audio devices..I am tempted to use the do not allow as its becoming a pain in the butt.

UPDATE - I just switched it to do not allow, hope that sends that pop up box into the sunset. Will post next week if that pest has been stopped, thanks RR.

Last edited by STEED; 02-18-17 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 10:13 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Blinking lights, funny sounds, candy everywhere - don't you know you are expected to LIKE all this fancy stuff?

When I reinstall any system, installation itself is not lasting that long. But it takes an eternity to get all the unwanted options switched off and all those automatic gremlins being killed for sure.

When being able to chose between making notes in a paper notebook, or on a digital device, i always choose the paper thing. Always: its still faster, usually - and much more important: its more reliable. More trustworthy.

Try Thunderbird. And make sure you tune its options to shut the open channels and possible accesses down as much as possible. If it does not carry your handwriting, kill it.
Old 02-18-17, 12:12 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
When being able to chose between making notes in a paper notebook, or on a digital device, i always choose the paper thing. Always: its still faster, usually - and much more important: its more reliable. More trustworthy.
But what if the batteries go flat in your paper thingie?

Switching to Thunderbird will fix all the flashy e-mail stuff. Wonder why you'd get a MIDI message on Ask Woody? I'll bet it was triggered by something else entirely.

Cell phones are the worst pushers of the blinking lights, funny sounds, eye candy cancer. Takes major amounts of time to shut all that down.

And with the excessive amounts of time it takes to get hundreds of settings in arcane and hard to find places set to your liking and the inability to save all these settings in one place, you need a backup system that saves disk images of your boot drive. That way you restore the image to a new drive and boot it. It is as if nothing had ever happened and you merely continue with all settings, preferences, bookmarks, favorites, display schemes, sound schemes and everything about your computer absolutely unchanged. You don't have to spend all that time restoring the settings you remember and months afterwards fixing the others as they occur.

System backup by disk image is the only method that makes any sense at all! But almost nobody does such a thing.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-18-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 09:10 PM   #10
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Just checked my settings and one section is called MIDI full control its set on..Ask me when a site wants to use system exclusive message to access MIDI audio devices..which is the recommended option. the two other settings are Allow all and Do not allow any sites to use system exclusive message to access MIDI audio devices..I am tempted to use the do not allow as its becoming a pain in the butt.

UPDATE - I just switched it to do not allow, hope that sends that pop up box into the sunset. Will post next week if that pest has been stopped, thanks RR.
Aaaahh. I remember those days, BT Internet free dial up on 0800 ... How times have changed...

These days, virgin are in town with 250 MB speed (south east Uk)

Fond memories of modems dailing out and waiting for the connection...
Old 02-19-17, 02:56 PM   #11
STEED
Lucky Jack

This pain in the butt started a couple of weeks ago and today the pop up popped up on websites so I decided to turn off the MIDI in my browser settings and all is well again. Strange all these years I never saw it it until now, anyway normal service is back.