SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-16, 05:32 AM   #1336
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's part of the core mod! Fantastic!

Load it up to the Some Assembly Required directory please! I know it's a lot of work to get it done but completing missions is a big part of not getting frustrated with SH4.
Whoa - hold on there RR

I have over 400 patrol files to go through and amend
May take me some time

It will definitely get done - but I have no idea how long it will take me

Do not hold up the next BETA release waiting for me

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 06:44 AM   #1337
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
That has to be the worst effort I've ever seen for any type mod in my long time around here.
I'll bet no one claims to be behind that.
It's right side up, what's the problem?

What was modded to make that? Can we go back to stock lifeboats to fix it? It really is a minor issue. How much time do you spend inspecting lifeboats at high power in the periscope? Mostly, they're evidence that it's time to look for another target. "Are they there Capn?" "Yes, let's go."

Folks, this young puppy woke up at 4:00 am to watch every Mercury launch on TV.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 08:42 AM   #1338
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Whoa - hold on there RR

May take me some time

It will definitely get done - but I have no idea how long it will take me

Do not hold up the next BETA release waiting for me
Send some my way brother. You could split 'em up based upon mission type, so you could send me something you have no desire to get into, and I'll do that bunch. Just give me an idea of what you want them to look / "sound" like. I don't think we'd "need" the lot of 'em for the next beta, just by the end of the week is all...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 08:45 AM   #1339
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's right side up, what's the problem?

What was modded to make that? Can we go back to stock lifeboats to fix it? It really is a minor issue. How much time do you spend inspecting lifeboats at high power in the periscope? Mostly, they're evidence that it's time to look for another target. "Are they there Capn?" "Yes, let's go."

Folks, this young puppy woke up at 4:00 am to watch every Mercury launch on TV.
I tried to sink me ~something~ this morning... ~anything~... all I found me was some destroyers - and got sunk myself... No lifeboats involved in that adventure... - I was trying to get me a capture from stock, and one from FotRS... Maybe we'll just use max-peck's capture for FotRS, and I'll go do me one in "Stock" now...

Old 08-17-16, 09:06 AM   #1340
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm guessing (guessing) it's the system resources causing the issue CapnScurvy. Silent Hunter 4 is a 32-bit app, and as such in the "modern" 64-bit OS, is assigned it's own little area in Windows (basically a quarantine). Windows keeps its own little bits in there, taking up some of the area assigned to the 32-bit app. While the LAA does help it stretch beyond, for some reason, "The Museum" (big boomy voice, lots of reverb) does not. (Why??) I tried multiple low screen resolutions and gameplay settings, none of which worked for me.

Anyway, what got me, was that I could not get "The Museum" (there's that voice again) to run on my quad-core with 8 gig of ram, and just put it off to there being too much data in the game. Then for some reason, I tried to run it on the dual-core with 2 gig of ram. It ran. Took it a while to load, but it ran. The only differences between the machines is what's loaded at start-up in the system area. My big machine has stuff for the GoPro software, the Intel stuff, a BIG version of the ATI CCC and about 5 other thingies that go with it, and if I look in Task Manager, there's 21 lines of things running, while on the little box, there's only a dozen.

So, based on that, and seeing other posts mentioning Game Booster, I looked for it, and found all sorts of stuff, most of which I don't much care for, 'cause they add to the systray stuff (this one does too), and require registration online (this one does not), which probably means more junk email... anyway, I uploaded to the root directory - err, folder - a GameBooster.7z if you want to try the old 3.4 version. There's a couple readme files in there, which you can toss.

Proceed with caution. If you've got anything important on the computer cdrsubron7, I don't know if I'd wanna do the old one, and would probably go with one of the newer progs (search on Game Booster), if you even want to bother with that... You could always experiment in Task Manager, "killing" things until "The Museum" runs. If you want help with it, let me know. I could make a list of what the program is shutting down in my machine, if you want some ideas on that. The hard part of that manual process is starting things back up, short of a re-boot.
I've been using GameBooster for a couple of years now. I registered my copy but they never send emails. Once a week a popup shows in front of the regular window when I open it that offers additional software and asks if you want to review it. I simply close that window and go on. Far as I can tell it is as advertised and has been trouble free. You can customize to close or leave any application or service, but it will always restore to whatever you had running before starting it up. I like it.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 09:16 AM   #1341
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I've been using GameBooster for a couple of years now...
I notice you have no space between the "game" and "booster" words. Is your version the IOBits, or Razer Cortex, or some other company's version? Also, what version of Windows are you running?

Old 08-17-16, 10:12 AM   #1342
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Hi, guys. Just a small question:

The OTC mod change all the positions of conning towers of US sub more backward to match the "center", but that just some kind of unrealistic.

Is there any sulotion in FOTRSU mod that can fix the positions and at the same time, keep the optical world right?
I'm not touching the conning tower placement, so there will be no correction to the error the game provides. There is no other way to correct the error. You'll be living with the realization that as unrealistic as it is, the periscope stadimeter will not read accurately in all directions.

For those that don't know, here's an image made from a Mission Editor test mission (anyone can make one too) showing the difference in found stadimeter range measurement of a Northampton CA:

You put the stationary ship at exactly 914 meters from the sub (that's only 1000 yards) and take stadimeter readings from the various relative bearings to see how close the stadimeter measurement really is. The image shows the stationary sub facing South (look at the compass heading), with the mast height of the ship at the stock measurement of 47m/154ft (FOTRS uses the same figure) the various stadimeter found readings are shown.

Obviously, the error in measured distance compared to the true distance is greater towards the front of the Porpoise sub than to the rear. The error is the same to the sides, which points to the only other variable that causes the stadimeter to not read at 914m or 1000 yards distance.......the mast height is off.

To the sides the stadimeter will error in true distance by 37m/40yds.
To the rear, by 28m/30yds
To the bow of the sub by 47m/51yds

Keep in mind this is at a true distance of only 1000yds........the error is compounded greater as the target is measured at farther distances. At 2000yrds true distance, the error is not simply 51+51=102 yrds for the reading of a target towards the bow of the sub.....its more like 150yrds off.

As Rockin Robbins likes to call it......."realistic measurements".

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 10:17 AM   #1343
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I'm hoping to finish up the Japanese Maru naming mod either tonight or tomorrow night. I'll need one of my fellow workers on this project to d/l and check it out in the Museum to see if I've got everything done correctly. This will be in JSGME form and will go in the WIP folder for now. When I'm sure it's working correctly it can be moved to the 0.2 Beta SAR folder. Once I had a good idea on what to do, this wasn't as I hard to do as I imagined.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 10:19 AM   #1344
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I'm hoping to finish up the Japanese Maru naming mod hopefully tonight or tomorrow night. I'll need one fellow workers on this project to d/l and check it out in the Museum to see if I've got everything done correctly. This will be in JSGME form and will go in the WIP folder for now. When I'm sure it's working correctly it be moved the 0.2 Beta SAR folder. Once I had a good idea on what to do, this wasn't as I hard to do as I imagined.
My Museum works just fine
I will happily test it for you

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-17-16, 10:25 AM   #1345
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
My Museum works just fine
I will happily test it for you
Thanks, my friend. I'll give you a shout when the mod has been uploaded.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 10:36 AM   #1346
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm not touching the conning tower placement, so there will be no correction to the error the game provides. There is no other way to correct the error. You'll be living with the realization that as unrealistic as it is, the periscope stadimeter will not read accurately in all directions.

For those that don't know, here's an image made from a Mission Editor test mission (anyone can make one too) showing the difference in found stadimeter range measurement of a Northampton CA:

You put the stationary ship at exactly 914 meters from the sub (that's only 1000 yards) and take stadimeter readings from the various relative bearings to see how close the stadimeter measurement really is. The image shows the stationary sub facing South (look at the compass heading), with the mast height of the ship at the stock measurement of 47m/154ft (FOTRS uses the same figure) the various stadimeter found readings are shown.

Obviously, the error in measured distance compared to the true distance is greater towards the front of the Porpoise sub than to the rear. The error is the same to the sides, which points to the only other variable that causes the stadimeter to not read at 914m or 1000 yards distance.......the mast height is off.

To the sides the stadimeter will error in true distance by 37m/40yds.
To the rear, by 28m/30yds
To the bow of the sub by 47m/51yds

Keep in mind this is at a true distance of only 1000yds........the error is compounded greater as the target is measured at farther distances. At 2000yrds true distance, the error is not simply 51+51=102 yrds for the reading of a target towards the bow of the sub.....its more like 150yrds off.

As Rockin Robbins likes to call it......."realistic measurements".
The shame of it is that the real TDC was made to be installed in any boat you chose. It had adjustments so that no matter where the conning tower was in relation to the center of the boat, distances were equalized for all bearings. So that's not available in SH4 and we're stuck with an unrealistic location for the conning tower or bad measurements?

In the real submarine you could put the periscope in a dingy and tow it behind the submarine and still make it work accurately by directly entering the fore/aft offset of the mounting location!

Truthfully we would take more flak from moving the conning tower 31' than if we leave things alone.

My guess is that we have the U-boat periscope from SHIII and the devs had no idea how it worked, so used it as a black box. So the fore/aft offset wasn't changed from the U-boat. Still, since the error is known, it should be just as easy to correct the resulting numbers from the black box with a little more game code! Mark it as a Ubi fail. Just a guess but I'll bet I'm right.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-17-16 at 11:14 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 01:09 PM   #1347
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Send some my way brother . . .
That's a very kind offer Propbeanie

I still haven't done the first one properly yet - I am still thinking about Exactly what I need to do and in what order, and what I need to check whilst doing each one

Once I have a procedure nailed down I may well be sending some to you

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-17-16, 01:21 PM   #1348
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
I would like to make a "hull number sub mod" for it when the FOTRSU is finished. I hope that will do some help. see detail here

Oh that is a great offer - thanks flaminus

A hull number mod for the subs would be fantastic

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-17-16, 01:27 PM   #1349
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I'm hoping to finish up the Japanese Maru naming mod either tonight or tomorrow night. I'll need one of my fellow workers on this project to d/l and check it out in the Museum to see if I've got everything done correctly. This will be in JSGME form and will go in the WIP folder for now. When I'm sure it's working correctly it can be moved to the 0.2 Beta SAR folder. Once I had a good idea on what to do, this wasn't as I hard to do as I imagined.
If you want to cdrsubron7, put your "change list" up there with it, and I'll go through the other countries' offerings, and make sure there's no "Maru" names there, while max-peck goes through the "newbies"...

Old 08-17-16, 01:42 PM   #1350
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
May take me some time
I exaggerate a touch
Have just taken a look at the patrol folder

There is only 257

Be done by teatime

FOTRS Ultimate