SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-15, 11:00 PM   #1
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
What is your stance on Port Raiding?

As the title says, do you consider it cheating/dishonorable () or otherwise?
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 11:05 PM   #2
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

If you are desperate for tonnage, I think it is a viable tactic. Although, after a few (failed) attempts to raid a couple of harbors, I will leave that maneuver to the more "bold" captains. I am perfectly content sitting outside a harbor at the sea shelf where I have room to maneuver!
Old 01-11-15, 11:15 PM   #3
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

It's called unrestricted submarine warfare for a reason. If you can get in, get 'em. Your conscience will tell you when it's time to head for deeper waters. That said, I prefer to catch a merchant on the high seas and sink him (and his cargo) in a thousand fathoms without a trace. There's plenty of ships been sunk in harbor that have been raised and put back in the fight.

As far as cheating, well, it's probably not fair. But neither is knowing where to find and sink the Yamato every day of the war. So do what you want, it's your game
Old 01-11-15, 11:23 PM   #4
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

BMA.
Old 01-11-15, 11:53 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthtok33l View Post
As the title says, do you consider it cheating/dishonorable () or otherwise?
Cheating is probably too strong a word, but to me it is like going from 100% difficulty level, where you need to have a high order of skill (this is the theory anyway), to 10%, where you're shooting fish in a barrel.

It would be different if port/base defenses were at all realistic.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 12:45 AM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I think we all did our share of port raiding in the beginning, but without the proper mods, it's no challenge. Heck, one can sneak into Truk and sink half the IJN fleet...and leave with no response...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 07:46 AM   #7
Jolierouge
Sailor man

Downloads: 16

Depends on the port....

Is it guarded?

Would it be a challenge to sneak in?

Are there warships docked?

And......history has Scapa Flow.

Definitely not cheating, if you can answer all three questions with yes.

greetings

Jolie
Jolierouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 10:31 AM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolierouge View Post
And......history has Scapa Flow.
Which was planned in advance by Admiral Dönitz with the aid of aerial photographs and conducted by his hand-picked "golden boy", the best he had. Were there any others like that? If not, then it is indeed cheating as far as history as concerned. But, as was said earlier, it's just a game, so we can do what we want.
Old 01-12-15, 01:41 PM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"Others like that" off the top of my head, USS WAHOO, Wewak harbor. Haven't researched to find if there were others, but I found the jackpot in Kobe from a Pearl Harbor career mission ordering a photo recon of Osaka.

Cheating? Not to me, to me cheating is never operating in less than 300 feet of water. The thermal layers in the stock game are always there, always between 150-250 feet, and always so strong they act like a Klingon cloaking device. Trying to evade a depth charge attack in 100 feet of water without using external camera is much more challenging.

I agree it should be a LOT more challenging - if you're sighted by a merchant while sneaking through the narrows any sub hunter/aircraft within 10 miles will make a beeline for you, but the enemy forgets you exist within 30 minutes of the radio report and you can continue penetrating the harbor as if you were never detected. Sink a gunboat or subchaser patrolling the entrance to Tokyo Bay and it never gets replaced, let alone alerting any of the other defenses. The AI in game sucks, plain and simple, but spending several days creeping around in shallow water to destroy stationary targets isn't exactly like shooting fish in a barrel - since you're a fish in the same barrel.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 04:31 PM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I find it boring a hell.

The only time harbor raiding was actually fun was when I was in a u-boat going up Churchill's behind somewhere and these two DD hedgehoged my derrière right out of the water with the concussion from the explosions.

They literally lifted the boat to the surface, then they deck gunned me right back to the bottom. Yeah I was dead but it was a challenge to get in and they made it don right hard to get out.

I have been sunk by subnets and mines before in harbors. I would really enjoy seeing more mods place nets and mines at entrances to ports to make it harder for the american side to get into ports. It isn't realistic for this game to make it so easy to get in. Yes it happened in WW2 but it was never an easy or safe thing to do.

Do not forget the U.S.S. Tirante during the first war patrol of that vessel against enemy Japanese surface forces in the harbor of Quelpart Island, off the coast of Korea, on 14 April 1945. USS Tirante

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 01-12-15 at 05:25 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 06:05 PM   #11
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43

Port raiding does seem to be a little too easy. I've tried to raid Truk, Rabaul, Kavieng, and some port on an island between Okinawa and Japan.....or maybe it was a port on the west side of Okinawa....I forget.....anyways I'm playing with RFB and I figured both Truk and Rabaul especially would be much more heavily defended. Well I snuck into Truk one time in early '42 and sank a carrier (the Soryu I think) and a Takao class cruiser. Also sank a couple merchants. Most of this was during the day as well. I had to sneak around in water that was only about 60-70 ft deep. The heaviest response was a few of patrol boats with no sonar or even hydrophones I think came searching around. Wasn't hard at all to get in or out undetected.

The most realistic seeming response was more interesting in a trip to Kavieng in mid-late '42. I approached the shallows on the surface from the North at dawn and the visibility was poor, seas were calm. I think anything over 1000 yards away wasn't visible. I picked up 6 stationary radar contact in the shallows. These contacts were parked in 2 columns of 3. I then dove to close to visual range which was about 1000 yards on this day. First contact I cam upon was a Kuma class CL. Let it be then moved on to the next one another 1500 yes away. This turned out to be a Furutaka class CA. Didn't hesitate to fire 2 fish at her. When the fish got close she started to move but both hit and she sank by the stern. No activity from the other boats yet though. Went to see what the next boat was and it was another Furutaka. Fired 2 fish at her. 1 hit barely and another missed because when they got close she sped up as fast as possible. I snap shot a 3rd that hit and she sunk. By this time, all the other 4 warships woke up as well and they fled the area at high speed. There were no destroyers with them apparently. I would later find out that the total composition of the group was 4 Furutakas and 2 Kumas.

They seemed to then head west around the island and loop around back east towards Rabaul. They were running at about 12-14 knots. Before they could totally loop around the island I had end arounded them after tracking them by radar at night and set up for another submerged attack where I bagged another Furutaka and a Kuma. The other two got away and I think I might have been out of torpedos at that point so I headed home.
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 06:36 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
"Others like that" off the top of my head, USS WAHOO, Wewak harbor.
Where they found a destroyer and several submarines. Going into an undefended harbor with a merchant or two, or a destroyer and some submarines, is not unreasonable.

The game allows you to sail right into Tokyo bay and sink battleships at anchor. Not what I call realistic.
Old 01-12-15, 07:19 PM   #13
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

In regards to your Port raiding.

If there is no Lemonade then I give it a miss.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 07:54 PM   #14
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I don't do 'Port Raiding' and haven't since the SH1 - SHCE days, mostly because it was against the RoE's - 'Rules of Engagement' that we used in the 'Pacific Thunder Campaign'.

It is an old habit that makes SH4 more enjoyable for me.

Happy Hunting - whatever you do : )
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 08:26 PM   #15
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
"Others like that" off the top of my head, USS WAHOO, Wewak harbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Where they found a destroyer and several submarines. Going into an undefended harbor with a merchant or two, or a destroyer and some submarines, is not unreasonable.

The game allows you to sail right into Tokyo bay and sink battleships at anchor. Not what I call realistic.
This cuts to the heart of the question, doesn't it?

In this game, you find harbors that have capitol ships stacked up like Tokyo Bay on a busy day, but with defenses like sleepy Wewak on a slow night.

I can see being able to penetrate a weakly defended anchorage like Wewak, or even better, a recently captured area, where defenses would be incomplete, but to be able to get into Truk, Rabaul or the like, seems very gamey.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
port raiding, ports, raid