SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-16, 10:16 AM   #1
Pnzrldr
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Starting from Scratch

New guy here - retired US Army, but baptized on a USN ship and live near Norfolk/Newport News, VA. Just reread Harry Homewood's "Final Harbor" for reasons unknown. Mediocre novel, great sub story. Then read "Silent Victory" cover to cover. Great history, but a bit monotonous. Tells the complete story though, which is utterly amazing. Once upon a time I was a huge SHII/SHIII devotee. When I got SH4 - years ago - my crappy computer and the Ubi-bugs kept me from ever figuring it out and enjoying it, so I gave up. I now have a superb gaming platform running Win10/64. I would like someone to give me a step-by-step for getting SH4, because I really, really want to play it and enjoy it. I haven't bought it yet (used to own it but lost/discarded years ago). I would like to install the game with a set of basic mods that make it work properly and enhance play/realism without going completely over the top. I am specifically interested in well-crafted campaign play in the Pacific. I am asking some questions I know are answered elsewhere principally because I am unsure of the validity of 5 year old answers.

1. Can the Steam version(s) be made to work properly? Just install outside /program files/ per the 'steam settings'? If I buy both SH4 and the Uboot upgrade on Steam, do they get the game to 1.5 for me, or must I go find the patches prior to doing mods?
2. If Steam CANNOT be made to work, are there any required tips/tricks to install from DVDs? Any tips on where to acquire them? Amazon? Ebay?
3. I will read/follow this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...18&postcount=1 to relearn the game, and will likely follow advice to add GFO 1.1 and the SCAF mods initially. Is there anything I can put on top of these to enhance campaign play?

Thanks much for any advice. Open to PM if desired. Thanks much, and please help drag me away from WoWs. Its utterly beautiful, addictive and incredibly stupid!
Pnzrldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 01:02 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

On Steam, it's basically $10 for v1.3 of the game, which has to be patched to v1.4 to eliminate some more of the game's bugs. Then you can install the Uboats Add-on that you have to pay $10 for. The advantage of this is that you could have a v1.4 and a v1.5 install, if Steam let's you make a copy of your first install. That's not as advantageous as it was a few years back, when there were a few more mods for v1.4.

Amazon has the "Gold Edition" download available again at $20. It's v1.5 "out of the box". Much simpler, and you have easier control over the install folder.

Both locations will run a "sale" on the game, and it is possible to find it for half-price at times, though neither is having a sale on it now. There are other online retailers that have it too usually, but Google didn't give me any other useful hits on the first two pages.

You could use the "stock" install initially, so you get a hang of the game, or just do GFO straight away, since it basically leaves the game "as is", and just fixes a few fixable aspects, and pretties a few things up. It's been my main mod for a couple years now. I added a couple mods to it, including Improved Stock Environments #1, and the GFO patch for it. The basic "dynamic" campaign stays the same.

Once you get used to it, then you can experiment some with the mods. Just be sure and check-out Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, being readied now for launch...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-05-16 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot the "download" word...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 02:19 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Pnzrldr!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 05:15 PM   #4
Pnzrldr
Watch

Thanks, if the download from Amazon is easiest I'll go that route - gift cards, ya know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Once you get used to it, then you can experiment some with the mods. Just be sure and check-out Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, being readied now for launch...
I see this WIP going on. What is the crux of the mod? What do the combined three versions amount to? I saw a vid on YT that seemed focused on surface warfare? Is it still a subsim, or more holistic?
Old 09-05-16, 05:51 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Fall of the Rising Sun is a mod that sits on top of Silent Hunter 4. There were several versions released originally by AOTD_MadMax. Some were for SH4 v1.4 (no Uboats), and some for v1.5 (with the Uboats). Really nice graphics, and a different campaign based upon Trigger Maru Overhauled v1.7, which is also a mod, or "modification" of the "base" game. Showing of the surface warfare just makes it easier to "see" the changes in the game, more ships, better smoke, etc., than if your perspective is from 60 feet below the surface... Explosions are much more impressive if you're right up by them too...

The "Ultimate Edition" is a re-working of the mod by a group of folks here, led by Rockin Robbins, and we're all fans of the original. AOTD_MadMax is not participating in the project, but is aware of it. We're basing this version on MadMax's version 2, which was only built for SH4 v1.4, and was only in the German language. This will be an English language conversion to SH4 v1.5, with a few changes, including bringing in all of the ships that AOTD_MadMax made for all of his FotRS mod versions. The idea also will include "certified to work with" mods that will allow the user some flexibility in including additional ships, Artificial Intelligence difficulty settings, targeting system, etc. It should be fun, and might come out for public beta testing shortly. What the word "shortly" means here loosely is "sometime later, hopefully not too long"... - so don't hold your breathe. You probably don't have quite enough... It's looking like most of the kinks have been ironed out, but when you put it all together and stir slowly over a low fire for initial release, there might still be a few gremlins come popping out of the uncooked batter...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 06:23 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Pnzrldr
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Highly Recommended SH4 > Webster’s GFO (Mini Mega Mod)
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 08:05 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Pnzrldr

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 03:11 PM   #8
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Read this before you buy the Amazon copy!

You may want to consider making a small donation to Subsim.com to support the servers and services. I think the minimum is $5. This will give you access to certain bonus downloads, one of which is the Gold Edition, which is v1.5 including the U-Boat missions. This version is generally the basis for some excellent mods, one of which makes a valiant attempt at mirroring the historical events (RSRDC). Some posters here don't like that, because with 20/20 hindsight it is predictable. But I like it! You will want to do your own messing with mods, as I have done for several years now.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 08:49 PM   #9
Pnzrldr
Watch

Well, I already ran into the daily download limit! But I grabbed the Gold edition from Amazon for $20 so don't need the extra sugar. Glad to kick in $5 to a worthy cause!
Old 09-06-16, 09:04 PM   #10
Pnzrldr
Watch

Hey, the GFO mod instructions say it doesn't work 100% w/ RSRDC later than 401. However, I can only find 565 on the downloads board. Where can I find 401, or is using 565 with minor decrement acceptable? Any advice? Never mind. Amazing what actually using the provided search engine will do. Anyone know how much difference I'll find between 401 and the latest 565?
Old 09-07-16, 06:44 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnzrldr View Post
Hey, the GFO mod instructions say it doesn't work 100% w/ RSRDC later than 401. However, I can only find 565 on the downloads board. Where can I find 401, or is using 565 with minor decrement acceptable? Any advice? Never mind. Amazing what actually using the provided search engine will do. Anyone know how much difference I'll find between 401 and the latest 565?
I installed GFO with RSRDC 565, used the GFO RSRDC patch and had no problems. I am getting disconcerted with the very idea of RSRDC and lately believe that a dynamic campaign, such as the devs made for the base game, is better and more realistic than a canned campaign.

In war, the adversaries dynamically probe, attack, retreat, choose missions depending on strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the instant. Depending on what their assessment of those factors are, the two sides will do something different.

Therefore, if the war were to be fought over, battles would be in different places. Convoys would be sent at different times from different origins to different destinations. In RSRDC, if during the war, a port sent out convoys to Tokyo Harbor weekly except for a month when Wahoo hung offshore, that's what that port will do whether you are there or not. It's like shooting fish in a barrel because they stopped for Wahoo. You don't exist. They are a rote recording, a robot, a terrible way to run a submarine simulation.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 03:11 PM   #12
Pnzrldr
Watch

Not saying I'll keep RSRDC on, but wanted to give it a go and see what I thought. Would need at least some mod to fix all the bugs in the original - though I suppose some of those may be ironed out by 1.5. I think I was probably on back in the 1.1 days. If I don't like it I'll take it off and try something else. How would you characterize RFB vs. TMO vs. FOTRS? What sorts of different experiences do they offer?

Next question - how do I relearn how to shoot torpedoes!!! I have zero interest in using the arcade version in the game, I want to plot and hit using real tools. I see an enormous wealth of stuff on this, but wonder where to go for a basic one over the world - aside from the actual manual.
Old 09-07-16, 03:48 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

You can visit my Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread and we have lots of techniques you can use. I teach the Dick O'Kane, John P Cromwell and vector analysis methods, which are constant bearing techniques shot from 90º, 45º and any chosen relationsihip to the target track. That way recognition manual wizardry is unnecessary.

The manual has a really fractured set of instructions on manual targeting the stadimeter way with target identification necessary. They get it entirely wrong. It's very important, for instance, what order you enter your information into the TDC. It's also important to push the send button twice for each parameter.

Basically, if you want to shoot accurately you will enter the course/angle on the bow and speed first. Then the stadimater shot instantly puts the bead on the target with great accuracy. Any other order will result in inaccuracies and misses. Usually I'll enter speed, target course/aob, then bearing/range with the stadimeter. Stadimeter is very touchy. One pixel off means bad range. Correct target identification is essential. Good thing our recongnition manual contains every ship on the seven seas.
Old 09-10-16, 01:22 PM   #14
Pnzrldr
Watch

Why does my recognition manual seem to omit target length? I don't see how people are doing speed calculations if target length is not listed.
Old 09-10-16, 01:36 PM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Target length is not used to compute speed. It was NEVER used, either by the Americans or the Germans. Quite simply, in order to use it at all you have to accurately identify the target. Less than 40% of targets sunk were identified properly. Not only that but the length of the target is very short compared to the method of timing positions of the entire ship over a 3 minute or longer run.

The longer the distance you time the more accurate your speed measurement is. Timing for a mere ship's length, even if you get lucky and ID it properly, results in significant error.