SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-08, 04:46 PM   #76
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
DT, if you check/uncheck (depending on your current settings) 'Reverse face winding' in S3D during import it's the same as flipping in Max.
I mustn't be too lazy to read tutorials
Old 07-11-08, 04:52 PM   #77
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrokoles
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
DT, if you check/uncheck (depending on your current settings) 'Reverse face winding' in S3D during import it's the same as flipping in Max.
I mustn't be too lazy to read tutorials
me either, Mr X. Thanks, skwas. That'll save me some effort Hopefully, someday, I'll truly learn how to operate 3ds max.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 05:00 PM   #78
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, You can only aim one target. But is this a problem on a PT boat?:rotfl:
Nope, not a problem at all. I just thought that I read that when the guns were set to be both AA and deck guns, and they were placed on opposite sides of the ship, that they would fire in both directions (possibly hitting a friendly on one side or the other). I'd be interested in knowing how that's done though (making them perform both functions)

Quote:
I though they had only two small AAs and 4 torps:hmm:
Nope, some of the ones that we've looked at had several AAs, 4 torpedos and fore and aft deck guns as large as single 40mm bofors. Right now, our working model has 2 twin 20mm AA and 2 40mm single bofors.

Old 07-11-08, 07:41 PM   #79
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Quote:
Yeah, You can only aim one target. But is this a problem on a PT boat?:rotfl:
Nope, not a problem at all. I just thought that I read that when the guns were set to be both AA and deck guns, and they were placed on opposite sides of the ship, that they would fire in both directions (possibly hitting a friendly on one side or the other). I'd be interested in knowing how that's done though (making them perform both functions)

Quote:
I though they had only two small AAs and 4 torps:hmm:
Nope, some of the ones that we've looked at had several AAs, 4 torpedos and fore and aft deck guns as large as single 40mm bofors. Right now, our working model has 2 twin 20mm AA and 2 40mm single bofors.
Dt,
It may be something I did wrong, I am very new at this but it happened to me (fireing both ways). To make an AA fire at ships, set the sim to obj cannon instead of obj turret and change AA to cannon instead of AA and give it ammo to fire at both.
EDIT: Just to clarify, if the gun is able to shoot at a ship it will. The ones on my Sen Toku were on a platform and could shoot both ways, so they would both shoot at the ship. But the ones I tried on the Maya obviously couldn't aim at a target on the other side of the ship so they just fired into the sea. It was early in the conversion so something may have been set wrong, and I changed the guns shortly after so I don't have enough tests to say it happens all the time.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 07-11-08 at 08:00 PM.
peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 08:32 PM   #80
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Thanks Peabody. That's what I did to convert the deck mounted Bofors AA guns into deck guns. I hadn't noticed them shooting at any planes (on their own, anyway). I thought that's what Xantrokoles was saying (that they would fire, on their own, at either planes or ships).

Old 07-11-08, 10:09 PM   #81
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Peabody. That's what I did to convert the deck mounted Bofors AA guns into deck guns. I hadn't noticed them shooting at any planes (on their own, anyway). I thought that's what Xantrokoles was saying (that they would fire, on their own, at either planes or ships).
Mine did ,as long as I was set to "fire at will" it would fire at ships or planes. Maybe only at 'Battlestations' ??? I'll have to check that out again. Otherwise the gun wouldn't be manned unless you got the pop-up asking 'engage, periscope depth, or Shut up, I'm running this ship"

Oh, as I am sure you noticed It should be wpn_cannon not obj_cannon.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 07-12-08, 09:26 AM   #82
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the info, Peabody. It may be because of the fact that mine are deck mounted (mounted on M nodes), but even when firing at will, they only shoot at ships. I'll double check the ammo (which I didn't change from their original setup as AA guns) and the firing angles. It's not really a big deal as the two twin 20s do a pretty good job against aircraft.

Old 07-12-08, 09:34 AM   #83
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Peabody. It may be because of the fact that mine are deck mounted (mounted on M nodes), but even when firing at will, they only shoot at ships. I'll double check the ammo (which I didn't change from their original setup as AA guns) and the firing angles. It's not really a big deal as the two twin 20s do a pretty good job against aircraft.
That's weird, I would think if the didn't work for both they would shoot at planes, being AA guns. Maybe because they are on M nodes? (A little bit of info to tuck away for testing.)

Peabody

Old 07-12-08, 09:56 AM   #84
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Guys, when it comes to missions, don't overlook the Atlantic and Med. There were lots of PT actions 'round Sicily, Italy, the south coast of France during Operation Dragoon, etc.
Old 07-12-08, 10:06 AM   #85
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad
Guys, when it comes to missions, don't overlook the Atlantic and Med. There were lots of PT actions 'round Sicily, Italy, the south coast of France during Operation Dragoon, etc.
Thanks, CV. We haven't gotten anywhere close to the "real missions" stage yet, but every little piece of info we can gather now helps for the future. Eventually, we'd like to have a full blown campaign that would encompass as much of the known PT activity as possible.

Old 07-13-08, 11:00 PM   #86
Charlielima
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Some links for guns on PT Boats.

Single 40mm, fore and aft on a model of PT-59, posted by AKDAVIS: This model really turns my screws:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=boats

General guns and torp stuff:
http://www.ptboats.org/20-01-05-ptboat-009.html

Twin 50's on the bow and the 4x20mm thunderbolt system:
http://www.ptboatworld.com/photos.htm
http://www.ptboatworld.com/PT174.htm

Enjoy, CL
Old 07-14-08, 10:45 AM   #87
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the links, CL.

I think we've reached the point where we feel comfortable letting this one out for a little testing (and hopefully for some mission planning gurus to get some ideas for). We're calling this an alpha version because it really is nowhere near ready, but it's playable. Before any rivet-counters start trying to count, there aren't any rivets in a wooden boat:rotfl:Just kidding. Seriously, we know it's not historically accurate as it is, but we're doing the best we can with what we have to work with.

Some things to keep in mind while playing.
  • Don't zoom the bofors on an airplane, it'll CTD (maybe). Probably going to remove the zoom function on those guns anyway.
  • The steering seems to have a bit of lag in it and at high speed this can become a problem. Try to think ahead a bit when travelling at 40 knots.
  • Speaking of which, the knotmeter hasn't been adjusted yet, it's on the to-do list.
  • The turrets that the AA guns are in are there to cut down on the "Philadelphia Experiment" effect that was present when the guns were on the deck. For some reason, the AI gunners and weapons are smaller than the weapons and crewmen from the submarines. Because of this, the gunmen were "passing through" parts of the boat and the torpedos when they were on the deck. In the future, we're considering scaling the boat up a little or remodelling the decks so that they have room to work.
  • There is no damage model, per se. That will have to be worked out as we progress, as will the systems of the boat.
  • Whatever you do, do not leave this mod enabled while attempting to play the game in career mode or a single mission that isn't for the PT. It'll probably ruin a good day
  • There are 3 single missions included with the Alpha. The test mission is just a bunch of aircraft and fishing boats and sampans to act as target practice along with an AI PT boat for company. The "lotta fun" mission throws you into some action against aircraft and ships. The 12/7 mission is a surprise from sqk. If you want to stir things up a bit, fire a round or 2 at a friendly and see what happens.
You can download the alpha at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=612

EnjoyAny and all constructive criticism is welcomed (as are any ideas for improvements or missions).

Last edited by Digital_Trucker; 03-26-09 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Change download location
Old 07-14-08, 11:14 AM   #88
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work lads

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 12:07 PM   #89
ekempey
Gunner

Downloads: 31

Great job with the mod so far! I have been waiting for a mod like this for a long time! After trying the alpha, here are my observations.

-when battle stations is not manned, there is no crew on deck, it looks like there is no one piloting the ship.
-for some reason, the AI collision alarm keeps going off on the boat, even when I am alone in the sea.
-The deck gun zoom does indeed cause a ctd, lol, I had to try it out myself.
-the gun turrets don't match the textures of the rest of the boat. I don't know if this is just the state of the mod, or if my machine is bugged.
-The fore deck gun only has one man manning it, when on the 3d model there are two seats.

No criticism is meant by this, and thank you for working on this mod!
ekempey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 12:39 PM   #90
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the feedback, ekempey No offense taken by the constructive comments.

My addled brain forgot to mention the state of the turret textures. They surely do need work and so do I in the 3D department. Nothing wrong with your rig, they're wonkey on mine, too:rotfl:The only thing from your list that I hadn't even thought about was the collision alarm. I'll add it to the list of things to do.

I also forgot to mention that the TBT does actually work for targeting torpedos (I don't believe there was such a thing on PT Boats, but we'll work on that later). Eventually, it will probably be removed in favor of a "point and shoot" torpedo launch method that will be more in line with the reality of the time. Still have to do some research on what methods were employed in torpedo launching from the boat.