SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-15, 03:40 AM   #1
moeburn
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Where should I start learning how to play Wolves of Steel properly?

I'm sorry if this seems like an often-asked question, I'm sure you guys get a lot of new players asking the same thing over and over, but my searching skills were not enough to help me find the answers I needed.

So after failing to get past the first mission on stock SH5 campaign because of the tonnage bar bug, I decided to look up some mods, and found Wolves of Steel. Did a fresh SH5 install, followed WoS instructions (which were ridiculously easy), and it installed perfectly, haven't had a single crash yet. The only possible bug I've encountered is my ship randomly self-destructing in the middle of nowhere on 512x TC, but it's only happened twice so far.

But man is it ever overwhelming and daunting. I've discovered a few things myself, like how to edit the navigation map settings to put contacts back on, and I vaguely know how to aim torpedos.

But is there a more thorough guide in how to use all the tools to perfectly aim a torpedo? I've seen youtube videos of it, but I'm not really sure how to use things like the stopwatch speed calculator, or the brown spinning disc thing. I've tried googling for guides, haven't found anything. I found a documentation folder in my SH5 directory, but there are so many and I don't know where to start. What I do know how to do is identify a ship (with my best guess using the ship book, anyway), how to estimate its range using the stadimeter, and how to estimate its speed using 2 stadimeter readings (provided I am at 0 knots).

So where would I start to learn how to properly aim torpedos? Does it really make a difference whether or not you fire them under the keel with a magnetic detonator vs on the side with a pistol detonator? And if so, just how far under the keel do you fire them? If the ship book says "draft 6.0m", do I set a magnetic torpedo to fire at a depth of exactly 6.0m, or 5.9, or 6.1?

And what happened to my minimap? I didn't see anything about that in the WoS FAQ, but my minimap is gone.

Without the tonnage bar, how do I know if I am completing the mission objectives properly? I sunk two merchants in the "british coastal waters" zone, but I have no idea if they count towards the objective or not. I know the objectives only end by date now, not by progress completion, does the game even notice how well I complete my objectives? Or am I just supposed to pretend and imagine that it does?

Thanks for any help! I'm sure I have lots more questions that I can't think of right now, that I'm sure you've all heard before and are sick of answering
moeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 03:52 AM   #2
Riekopo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have the same questions. This kind of game really needs good documentation and tutorials. Sadly there's no manual for the Wolves of Steel mod. Maybe some of the veterans here could show us how to play using multiplayer.
Old 07-25-15, 05:38 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

moeburn!HANG TOUGH; help to arrive shortly!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 08:05 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome, hopefully a WoS player can and will assist

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 12:38 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys

The TAI Map is opened from the little button above and to the left of the word “Depth”
Use the tab key to see 3 positions> minimize/fully open/close.

To get the speed the easiest way for you currently as you state that you are using “Map contacts”
Use the “O” key or an Officer icon to bring up the stopwatch.
Pause the game.
Open up the target on the map so that you can see its full shape.
With the marker place an X on the bow.
Press the stopwatch start/stop button
Un-pause the game.
Use a little TC and when you get to 3 minutes and 15 seconds pause the game again.
Open up the target so that you can see its full shape again.
Take the marker and place an “X” on bow.
Take the compass and take the measurement from the 2 “X” marks.
600 meters = 6 knots and so on.
If you click on the stopwatch face you will open up the U-Jagd.
I have a tutorial for this.

As a beginner I would not start with using the stadimeter.
Get used to using the TDC first.

I would draw a line with the ruler through the targets shape to a distance to where I want to fire from.
Take the protractor and get a 90 angle.
Put the protractor on the angle and it will show you the course you need to take up a 90 firing position.
Position the U-boat at the distance/range you want to fire from.
Measure this distance with the ruler.
This distance is your Range to enter in the TDC
Your periscope 0 bearing is 90, anything to the left or right of it is – or + 90
Lock the target.
Use the Identify Target Icon to show you the target and you can set the torpedo depth.
You do not need to use recognition manual unless you are using the stadimeter.
With the target locked.
Move the periscope back to 0
In the TDC.
Enter the AOB 90
Enter the Range.
Move the periscope until both the Gyro Angle dials are vertical.
Note the periscope bearing.
When the target reaches this bearing fire your torpedo/s.
Make sure the target is locked before firing.
If the target maintains its course the only thing that will change is the range.
Set the torpedo depth against the diagram.
Pistol is preferred to magnetic.
Shaefer showed in his videos that magnetic does work.
Do not forget to open the torpedo door switches before firing otherwise the time delay may result in a miss.

Regarding completing missions.
When you request a mission you will get a grid patrol area in your Captain’s Log.
This does not happen in the Baltic mission.
You should also not end the Baltic mission before 00.00 4th September stopwatch time or 01.00 nautical time otherwise you will not be able to request the next mission British Coastal Waters.

By completing each grid patrol you are awarded 1 bonus point.
Each mission appears and disappears as its date comes and goes.
I am not aware of any minimum tonnage requirements needed as this was to do with the tonnage bar that has been removed.
SH5 is now similar to both SH3 and SH4 where you receive orders and objectives.

You can also use TDW’s Option File Editor Viewer (OFEV) to change many of the patches so you can personalize your own game.
The mods need to be disabled before making any OFEV changes.
When the OFEV changes have been saved re-enable the mods.
This can be done any time the game is not running.

Shaefer’s TWOS videos are good tutorials even though he is using real navigation.
There are many things you can learn what to do and also importantly not to do, so well worth while watching.

Any further help just let me know.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-15, 05:35 PM   #6
moeburn
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

Hey thanks for all your help! I didn't realise this forum will only send you an email for the first reply, and not all the subsequent ones.

So I've just been using the stadimeter to get range (it's pretty simple; find ship in book, send to TDC, place crosshair at waterline, use stadimeter to tip of flag pole), and then clicking the "estimate speed from range observations" button. But I don't know if the automatic speed calculation only works at certain angles on bow or if it factors that in or what.

The other thing is that I purchased the 10.5cm deck gun, but it doesn't seem to show up. My new deck gun looks identical, still says 8.8cm when you hover over it, and still says 8.8cm in the ship systems information dialog. I even tried reloading from save game and trying to buy it again, same thing. What's up with that?
Old 07-27-15, 05:08 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER

Hi Moeburn

Try this.

Critical Hits v1.2 (Deck Gun) (Compatible With TWOS)

Peter
Old 07-27-15, 09:51 AM   #8
moeburn
Swabbie

Quote:
That doesn't really answer my question though - why isn't the 10.5cm deck gun that I purchased and installed showing up on my boat?
Old 07-27-15, 10:17 AM   #9
THEBERBSTER

Hi moeburn

Sorry I cannot answer the question.

I have seen other issues where upgrades have been selected where the date was too early and not been given.

The VIIA of course never had that gun caliber.

Peter
Old 07-27-15, 10:19 AM   #10
moeburn
Swabbie

Quote:
Hi moeburn

Sorry I cannot answer the question.

I have seen other issues where upgrades have been selected where the date was too early and not been given.

The VIIA of course never had that gun caliber.

Peter
Ah poo, okay thanks! I figured it wouldn't be in the list at all if it wasn't available - the only upgrades that are available are the deck gun, the AA gun, and the hydrophone - the hydrophone upgrade worked fine. Any idea what date the deck gun upgrade should work?
Old 07-27-15, 02:08 PM   #11
THEBERBSTER

Hi moeburn

I do not know whether TWOS has any influence or not on this?

I have played previously with my own mod set up and have been able to use it when upgraded to the VIIB.

Historically I do not think it was used on VIIB but on the type IX.

In your charts you will find the upgrade chart.

It is quite possible that when you are offered the upgrade from the VIIA to VIIB you will be able to buy the bigger deck gun.

In the meantime I can recommend the Critical hits deck gun mod.

Peter
Old 07-27-15, 03:10 PM   #12
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

I recommend the Critical Hits mod also. Without it the deck gun feels nerfed.
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 03:28 PM   #13
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeburn View Post
That doesn't really answer my question though - why isn't the 10.5cm deck gun that I purchased and installed showing up on my boat?
Could be a glitch from some of the mods included but for now I really cant say what is wrong exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I recommend the Critical Hits mod also. Without it the deck gun feels nerfed.
Totally unnecessary and unrealistic mod which will make deck gun shells almost strong as torpedo warhead ...Wind and smoke...

Last edited by vdr1981; 07-27-15 at 03:39 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 07:25 PM   #14
THEBERBSTER

Hi vecko

The default 88mm was useable.

The TWOS reduced version I found I was using over 80 shells to sink a small merchant.

This did not feel right.

Even the small coastal boats seem to use an excessive amount.

Firing loads of shells in to a ship I seem to remember Shaefer saying that he did not want to bore us with it.

The Critical Hits mod is not for the purists but it gets the job done.

When you have gamers playing TWOS using torpedo circles you can see why realism to some holds no importance.

Peter
Old 07-27-15, 08:13 PM   #15
moeburn
Swabbie

Quote:
Hi vecko

The default 88mm was useable.

The TWOS reduced version I found I was using over 80 shells to sink a small merchant.

This did not feel right.

Even the small coastal boats seem to use an excessive amount.

Firing loads of shells in to a ship I seem to remember Shaefer saying that he did not want to bore us with it.

The Critical Hits mod is not for the purists but it gets the job done.

When you have gamers playing TWOS using torpedo circles you can see why realism to some holds no importance.

Peter
Okay, so should I get the critical hits mod or not? I'd prefer to have the most realistic experience possible - I understand a single 8.8cm is going to take quite a long time to sink a full size merchant, and without a torpedo hit, I don't expect it to sink one in any "fun" amount of time. But I did expect those little wooden tugboats to blow in two on the first hit with an HE shell, and that did not happen.

I was also offered a flak gun upgrade in the upgrades menu - I can't remember the name of it but I believe it increased mag size and fire rate but not caliber. Will that one work?