SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-16, 05:31 AM   #556
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
When i can get this? Need a beta / alpha tester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Haukka81

Rockin Robins is our project manager
Send him a PM and ask him if he wants any testers

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 07:37 AM   #557
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
... I would like to hear the crew answer back with a nice crisp, " Aye Skipper " instead of the usual, " Yes Sir " ...
Currently researching WWII era submersible boat procedures now for proper vernacular and implementation... big words for "I'm trying"... :wink:

------------------------

In the meantime, I have another question for the wizards of the project, or anyone in the know: Looking at the "Named" folders in the Sh.sdl file of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 - if I look at the Submarine folder, there are 18 folders of different boat classifications, Allied & Axis, including an AI and a Japanese boat. If I look in the Interior folder, there are 6. I am assuming that several of the folders are "shared" among classes, such as Gar/Gato and others of similar "build", and only of the boats that a "human" operator could get inside? One US captains cabin folder, one German, shared among all boats of their respective nations?

This is like a spider's web, trying to wade through the structure of the game. At least there's something to wade through though. Some games don't let a user see anything "mod-able".
_

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 09:09 AM   #558
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
It's a pleasure working with you also, Billy.
Yes, what Billy says goes for me too in terms of appreciation for all the work being done. Not a modder myself, I eagerly (and admittedly selfishly) await the fruits of your labors, I'm sure there are hundreds like me who cannot directly support the effort but who offer our moral support, for whatever that's worth to the team.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 09:35 AM   #559
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
CaptScurvy, your work on the interiors need no introduction!
And as an exception to our normal rule of All Maddy All the Time, we'll incluce CapnScurvy's interiors to the base mod. Also, his adding functions to the really WEIRD FOTRS2.0 keyboard commands will be in the base mod. I can't imagine that MadMax intended for us not to have a stopwatch and we need a keyboard command for periscope depth in there.

Quote:
Max, It's good to see that I'm not the only sinking weirdo around here!
These screenshots are fantastic mate. Cheers!
Those screenshots challenge the excellence of cdsubron's. We'll be using some of them in the [REL] thread for FOTRS Ultimate 1.0.

Quote:
I'm having problems with the Mission Editor. While I'm able to select and place ships, the new ships are just not showing in the mission. The Akagi and Kaga fo example. My experience with the mission editor is below zero, but I must use it to test the ships. Both for the core mod and the damage model.
It's because of the "excellent" documentation for the Mission Editor! Ubi missed a really big thing when they refused to support the Mission Editor with good help files and a tutorial. One problem with a game like Silent Hunter is that it sucks in your time like you have no family, job or life! Good missions let you spend an hour and get some sense of fulfillment.

And in addition, the missions included on the CD are just awful. Typically you are beamed into the middle of the Japanese fleet with five DDs less than 1000 yards from you. No evasion tactics will work. It gives the impression of a completely unwinnable game. Falsely thinking that the missions are some kind of warm-up for the campaign and they suck at the missions, new players abandon the game. That was a crime. Lousy mission have one message. "This game isn't for you. You really suck there, buddy!"
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 10:12 AM   #560
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I'm having problems with the Mission Editor. While I'm able to select and place ships, the new ships are just not showing in the mission. The Akagi and Kaga fo example. My experience with the mission editor is below zero, but I must use it to test the ships. Both for the core mod and the damage model.
Hey XYBilly

Zip up the Mission you have made.
Then either send it to me or put it on the Google Drive thingy
When I get home from work tonight I will take a look and see if I can figure out the problem

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-08-16, 11:20 AM   #561
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Hey XYBilly

Zip up the Mission you have made.
Then either send it to me or put it on the Google Drive thingy
When I get home from work tonight I will take a look and see if I can figure out the problem
I'll do that. In fact I'll take advantage of your offer and upload a couple more.

Cheers,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 11:21 AM   #562
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
In the meantime, I have another question for the wizards of the project, or anyone in the know............if I look at the Submarine folder, there are 18 folders of different boat classifications, Allied & Axis, including an AI and a Japanese boat. If I look in the Interior folder, there are 6. I am assuming that several of the folders are "shared" among classes, such as Gar/Gato and others of similar "build", and only of the boats that a "human" operator could get inside?
That's exactly right, there are just 4 different sub interiors for the American side. The Gato does triple duty for the Gar, itself, and the Balao....maybe the Tench too (I'd have to look again). The Porpoise (and I believe), the Tambor are the same. The S-class doesn't have a conning tower interior, so the periscopes, Sonar/Radar are all in the Command Room. What changes them a bit is the different things you can add within. Like the Gato/Balao have wood paneling within the Captain's Quarters, the S-class looks like painted steel.

================

A little further about what I've been doing. You can't know who's playing where, without a score card! Least that's true about the game and what functions you can preform. So, I've made a "Keyboard Layout" that you can print off to help in knowing what keys do what? The Layout is larger than the stock games, so you can read the fine print a bit better.

Like the stock game, there will be another printable image called "FOTRS Reference Card" that you can use to do the same thing. That's just about where I'm at......finishing my first part by going through the "Help" file in-game, to update any changes I've made. With a little more testing, I'll be turning my attention to the Museum to make sure all assets are displayed correctly.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 12:32 PM   #563
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491
Icon7

I want to tell you guys that you are doing great work and can not wait for the release. Keep it up!

JeffG
Old 07-08-16, 01:36 PM   #564
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
... I'm having problems with the Mission Editor. While I'm able to select and place ships, the new ships are just not showing in the mission...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
... I'll be turning my attention to the Museum to make sure all assets are displayed correctly.
I'm wondering if the ME and the Museum issues are related? Like "missing pointers" in some of the ships descriptions? I have similar issues in the ME. One other area about it might be the "fixed-up" ships, I'm wondering if their available dates were corrected? I was placing one of the Heavy Cruisers in the ME the other day in FotRSu, and it showed it available until the end of the war, but in "stock", it's gone by early '44... Furutaka??... Wish I could get the Museum to load again... sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
That's exactly right, there are just 4 different sub interiors for the American side...

... I've made a "Keyboard Layout" that you can print off to help in knowing what keys do what...
Thanks for the info CapnScurvy, and that's a great looking keyboard layout. Thank you.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 01:53 PM   #565
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Thanks, praise is always appreciated.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 02:05 PM   #566
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Hey,guys. Question for you all. One thing I find somewhat annoying in FOTRS, maybe you guys do also. It has to do with the harbor traffic and the aircraft when you leave on patrol from your base. Could anything be done to lessen having to lean on the TC key just to leave port?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 02:10 PM   #567
XTBilly
Officer

@ Torpedobait & Jeffg.

Thank you very much for your support.
Old 07-08-16, 02:12 PM   #568
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Hey,guys. Question for you all. One thing I find somewhat annoying in FOTRS, maybe you guys do also. It has to do with the harbor traffic and the aircraft when you leave on patrol from your base. Could anything be done to lessen having to lean on the TC key just to leave port?
I usually turn off the radar!
Old 07-08-16, 02:18 PM   #569
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I'll do that. In fact I'll take advantage of your offer and upload a couple more.

Cheers,
Billy.
Hey mate. I am suffering internet problems today. My WiFi is down so I cannot download anything to my PC. I can post on the forums using my smartphone, but obviously I cannot download the mission s to my phone!
If you so not hear from me for a few days about the missions, I am not ignoring you!!
It just means my internet access is still broken :-)

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-08-16, 02:21 PM   #570
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Hey mate. I am suffering internet problems today. My WiFi is down so I cannot download anything to my PC. I can post on the forums using my smartphone, but obviously I cannot download the mission s to my phone!
If you so not hear from me for a few days about the missions, I am not ignoring you!!
It just means my internet access is still broken :-)
No worries mate!

Billy.