Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-10, 08:26 PM   #1471
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

but... but... UBI is GOD?

and in HIM, the allmighty Ubi-God we have faith?
No?
Yes?
*confused*

Shoot the Pirates out the torpedo Tubes, and Drop the DRM-Nutters overboard like Ashcans!
Old 02-20-10, 08:35 PM   #1472
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakarpatska View Post
Which creations were you thinking of? On my short list for the greatest inventions (creations?) would be the car (Germany, 1880s), the steam engine (England, 1690s), the train (England 1780s), the electronic digital computer (England 1943), nuclear fission (Italy, 1932), telescope (Italy 1600s), screw propeller (Austria-Hungary, 1820s), Diesel engine (Germany, 1850s), piano (Italy, 1690s), reinforced concrete (France, 1850s), steel (Turkey or China, roughly 2000 B.C.E), etc. I guess it depends on what you consider greatest or what qualifies as a creation.

One the Americans I admire, Jonas Salk, does not seem to have had profit as his primary motivation though he gave to the human race more than most. Something to think about.

Perhaps you were thinking of Al Gore and the Internet?
Ok, perhaps im a little bias, with my statement, please .. don't link me in anyway with Al Gore though, im not a fan of the man in any way

there is one great invention that the world has to bow down to that came from the U.S.

Mary Phelps Jacob, 1913...........The Bra.......
Old 02-20-10, 08:57 PM   #1473
MasterCaine
Seaman

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Will Ubi make a firm commitment to removing the DRM if the servers are to be taken offline?

We'll paste the straight transcript here:

PCG: What I think a lot of us would really like is a firm commitment that you understand our worries that the servers are going to go down and suddenly we've just got some trash data on our hard drives that we've paid for.

Ubisoft: The system is made by guys who love PC games. They play PC games, they are your friends.

PCG: So you can commit to saying that those systems will be patched out?
Quote:

Ubisoft: That's the plan.

PCG: It's the plan, or it's definitely going to happen?

Ubisoft: That's written into the goal of the overall plan of the thing. But we don't plan on shutting down the servers, we really don't."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
PC gamer put some of our concerns to ubi.

Link:- http://www.computerandvideogames.com...35596&site=pcg

Looks like ubi are not going to back down on OSP

I would GUESS (I dont know for sure) that SH5 would have the same system as Settlers, so unlike AC2 you wont lose your progress

Sounds like they have no intension of ever removing OSP unless they are going to shut their servers down. And then they have not promised to do so.

"Thats the plan" dosen't mean yes they will
Screw Ubisoft. They won't say 'yes' for sure about the removal of DRM when their servers eventually get shut down because they don't want to get sued if they don't actually do it. They cannot be trusted. Screw them.
Old 02-21-10, 04:28 AM   #1474
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
PC gamer put some of our concerns to ubi.

Link:- http://www.computerandvideogames.com...35596&site=pcg
From that article:

Quote:
We wouldn't have built it if we thought that it was really going to piss off our customers.
But now they know it is p***ing them off, sod them?

Quote:
How will I know what I'll lose?
"You'll have to wait for the reviews, and to hear what your peers are saying."
Er... riiiiiiight... WTF? Why on Earth do we have to read a review to find out - why won't Ubisoft just tell us what the product does. I don't like all this veil of mystery regarding DRM. I bet it won't be on the box. Requires permanent internet connection or your game will freeze and you will lose your progress. Nope, that would put people off buying the game, so that won't make it on. Informed consumer choice my bum!

That article reads like a spoof interview with the worlds worst software house. It would be funny, except it's not a joke.
Old 02-21-10, 06:37 AM   #1475
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
From that article:

But now they know it is p***ing them off, sod them?

Er... riiiiiiight... WTF? Why on Earth do we have to read a review to find out - why won't Ubisoft just tell us what the product does. I don't like all this veil of mystery regarding DRM. I bet it won't be on the box. Requires permanent internet connection or your game will freeze and you will lose your progress. Nope, that would put people off buying the game, so that won't make it on. Informed consumer choice my bum!

That article reads like a spoof interview with the worlds worst software house. It would be funny, except it's not a joke.
I must admit this is beginning to look increasingly concerning

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-21-10, 07:01 AM   #1476
Sgtmonkeynads
Ships Secretary

Downloads: 614
What about D.I.D.'s, nope not gonna happen now!

By the sounds of everything a good old Dead is Dead campaign is,... well Dead !

Autosave defeats the purpose, and bad connection will kill you,
so...Bye Bye SH5 D.I.D. thread, would have bean nice to meet you.
Old 02-21-10, 12:55 PM   #1477
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

So sad at hearing this news...

I didn't buy Dawn of War II and Empire Total War because of Steam and the idea of renting a game after spending £30 - 40 on it.

It looks like I won't be getting SH5. I was a big fan of all three series, but I still have SH4 and mods. It works without a CD in the drive and without internet.

I have to say I have switched to playing PS3 games now. There are no simulations or in-depth games like the SH series but at least the game is released relatively unbugged, you can play offline, online play is free and you own a disc that you can use whenever you like. Me and several friends have switch from the PC format.

I still have a love of simulations but the DRM is very offputting. So I think I will find myself playing the older generations of games like SH4 or Lock On etc rather than SH5 and the newer flight sims.

Sorry to SH5 dev team, this sounds like a stupid ubi idea and probably isnt their fault.
Old 02-21-10, 01:23 PM   #1478
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace11 View Post
There are no simulations or in-depth games like the SH series but at least the game is released relatively unbugged [...]
Yeah... Games like Tetris don't have bugs, that's for sure. It's the awesome complicated stuff (like an unrestrained-world simulator) that has bugs. And even now, that consoles also have hard drives, internet access, patches for games (and not-free DLC), do you really think they're not gonna end up suffering from bugs just like PC games do? I think they will, for sure. Either that, or console-games publishers will do what they aren't doing now for PC games: not release the games until they are 100% bug free.

Cheers
Old 02-21-10, 01:46 PM   #1479
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

Right, chaps!

The article:

Link:-http://www.computerandvideogames.com...35596&site=pcg

Shows that Ubi is run by total idiots who take their customers to be bigger idiots than themselves.

Who would want to buy anything from such niwits?

If I was an Ubi shareholder, I'd be selling my shares fast.
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Old 02-21-10, 01:56 PM   #1480
OakGroove
中国水兵

Downloads: 10

UBI can go take a long walk off a short pier. Anyone who actually buys this dreck actively supports the byzantine and ignorant vision of these control freaks.
Old 02-21-10, 02:13 PM   #1481
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by martes86 View Post
Yeah... Games like Tetris don't have bugs, that's for sure. It's the awesome complicated stuff (like an unrestrained-world simulator) that has bugs. And even now, that consoles also have hard drives, internet access, patches for games (and not-free DLC), do you really think they're not gonna end up suffering from bugs just like PC games do? I think they will, for sure. Either that, or console-games publishers will do what they aren't doing now for PC games: not release the games until they are 100% bug free.

Cheers
Console games are not 100% bug free - well spotted, have a prize... But you did miss that I said "relatively unbugged". To explain that statement for you, so you understand... it means there are bugs, just less when compared to PC games. As anyone who played SH3 and SH4 on release will know, these games were riddled with bugs that ruined the atmosphere. SH4 was worse though. It wasn't finished on release.

Remember the flying subs and stuff like that... It was horrific. Many modders fixed these things, patches helped, but often modders fixed them before the dev team. Half the modding community emerged because they wanted to fix the games mistakes, not changed a few textures. It took nearly a year of fixes till I was happy with SH4.

SH5 will be bug ridden on release also. Sorry, but it will. Did you listen to the preview vids. Voices swapping between German and American accents.. God knows what else will be in there.

I'm not bothering this time...
Old 02-21-10, 02:36 PM   #1482
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

As one who BETA tested Settlers 7 and this new DRM scheme I can say it's for the birds.
Yes I had to have a constant internet connection to play - if my internet connection stuttered for a period of time the game would freeze in time and then resume once the connection was restored. This happened many times for unknown reasons causing me to either miss an upgrade, lose a battle, or lag behind in production. I have DSL and couldn't figure out why I had these stutters.
This same DRM is more than likely what is being used with SH5.
Other than that I didn't notice anything 'bad' about the type of DRM being used. I did have to log onto my Ubisoft account everytime before I could play the game which I found very disconcerting. Why do they need to know when I'm playing the game? Collecting demographic data from me and not paying me for it? I don't think so!! But out of principle I wouldn't buy a game that I always had to ask mommy and daddy if i could play or had to be under their watchful eye while I was playing it.
I'll wait until the game is properly 'patched' so that I don't have to deal with this annoyance.
Those with determination and desire can overcome any obstacle. Ubisoft should quit wasting $$ on silly DRM stuff and invest that money into the game's content and playability.
But I'm one that never backed down from a challenge so I say bring it on Spite is a powerful motivator.
Old 02-21-10, 03:19 PM   #1483
Seafireliv
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakGroove View Post
UBI can go take a long walk off a short pier. Anyone who actually buys this dreck actively supports the byzantine and ignorant vision of these control freaks.

Well said. And that`s what it`s all about- control.
Old 02-21-10, 03:41 PM   #1484
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Downloads: 1

I don't care for DRM one bit. Call me crazy -- but I get offended all the time when people demand to look at my receipt when I leave a store. If I buy it -- once it's mine, it's mine. Thus they should no longer concern themselves with what I do with it.

Which is how I feel about DRM. I'm not crazy about it -- but I love the SH series; to the point that I've got my pre-order with overnight shipping!

I think it'll be worth it in the end! This is looking like it might be the best submarine game made since Aces of the Deep (those were the days)!
Old 02-21-10, 04:09 PM   #1485
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brag View Post
Right, chaps!

The article:

Link:-http://www.computerandvideogames.com...35596&site=pcg

Shows that Ubi is run by total idiots who take their customers to be bigger idiots than themselves.

Who would want to buy anything from such niwits?

If I was an Ubi shareholder, I'd be selling my shares fast.
I don't know if it's only me at my end Brag but I can't get the link to work

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Closed Thread