SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-10, 01:23 AM   #346
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Stiebler,

as I understand h.sie's test, the destroyer did not see him in the first case even after the visual sensor became available. In the second test, the destroyer always saw him (or at least after the sensor became available, it's not clear from his post).

My present understanding is that in single missions you can determine the configuration of the ships via the cfg-date entry. This makes sense because it allows more flexibility. You can have some DDs with new equipment, some with old,... However, in the campaign files the configuration is chosen according to the date when it becomes available (maybe you can get it earlier by setting a later cfg-date. I don't know. I didn't test it). This also makes sense because you do not want to script the same traffic again and again to reflect different equipments. The drawback is that all same ships get the same equipment at the same time (again, maybe you can have it earlier by choosing a later cfg-date. Didn't test it.).

According to rowi58 around 90% of the ships in GWX's rnd layer have a cfg date of 1939. As I understand it according to him that means that 90% of the destroyers do not have hedgehogs,... later. I guess the same applies to deck guns for merchants. I doubt this. Most(all?) ships I encounter are equipped with deck guns later in the war.

So, it looks to me that everything is fine and there is no 'cfg-bug'. I hope rowi58 can comment this or give some more details how he came to the conclusion that there is a bug.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 03:07 AM   #347
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

@ LGN1, Stiebler.

I sent a PM to rowi and asked him to comment the Cfg-Date Bug.

@ LGN1: Currently your focus is on campaign files. Is there something new in work?

@Stiebler: I more and more begin to love NYGM. Thanks for the hard and precise work.

h.sie
Old 03-16-10, 03:52 PM   #348
h.sie
Admiral

Hello Stiebler,

I have two questions:

1. Why are the Torpedo Tubes in the NYGM damage model assigned to the Turm and not, as I would think, assigned to the Front or Bow Torpedo Room?

2. I read that the Anti-Hummingbird mod is included in NYGM but breaks the XXI. What do I have to do in order to play the XXI? Disable that mod?

Thank you,
h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 03-16-10 at 04:51 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 03:20 AM   #349
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@h.sie:

1. (Torpedo tubes assigned to turm). I have no idea, the damage control work was done by Observer, who departed this forum long ago.

2. (Use of XXI). In fact, you can use the XXI without any difficulty. Originally one received the message 'Main pump broken' as soon as the game was loaded (for the XXI), but I fixed that some time ago. Whether you can control flooding easily is unclear. I have used the XXI so rarely that I am not sure now whether there remain any issues. (The anti-humming bird mod has no obvious effect on play with the XXI.)

Perhaps you can tell me how you find the experience?

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 03:56 AM   #350
h.sie
Admiral

Thanks, Stiebler.

Another question: Is there a manual or similar that describes how to adapt a GUI to the NYGM damage model (there are some changes necessary in the crew control screen?). Would be nice and make work easier.

Currently I plan to adapt my version of the ACM-GUI for the use with NYGM. It's intended for my private use, but if there is interest (and with your permission) it is possible to share it with others.

h.sie
Old 03-17-10, 11:43 AM   #351
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@H.sire:

Sorry, there is no manual or other description of the NYGM damage model, and I cannot correct it myself. There has never been any previous reason to do so; Observer did an excellent job.

You are welcome to create for distribution an NYGM version of your ACM-GUI.

Stiebler.
Old 03-17-10, 01:29 PM   #352
h.sie
Admiral

Hello Stiebler,

you misunderstood me. I did not want to change the NYGM damage model, I just want to implement it into ACM-GUI. Compared to GWX or Stock SH3, there are some changes necessary in the GUI, because the NYGM damage screen seems to hide some crew positions, e.g. in order to reduce the size of the repair team and so on. But I can also copy&paste the whole NYGM-damage screen into ACM-GUI - with your permission, which I think I now have.

Greetings,
h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 03-17-10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 01:25 PM   #353
h.sie
Admiral

By the way: Perhaps I found the reason why in the NYGM damage model, torpedo tubes and other systems are assigned to the turm: I found the following older post in this forum (which has not been answered):

Nedlam wrote: "Speaking of damage. I'm guessing that all of the extra submarine systems located in the bridge section (dive planes, torpedo tubes, etc) are there to simulate having to go outside of the sub to fix?"

For me this is sounds like a good reason !

h.sie
Old 03-18-10, 02:20 PM   #354
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@H.sie,

You can definitely repair torpedo tubes *within* the U-boat in NYGM (and presumably all other mods).

I really know very little about why Observer did things the way he did, but they work perfectly, so I prefer not to enquire any further! However, what I do know, is that part of the damage screen/model is to implement his morale/fatigue model also. The two engine room compartments have some extra places where a crew member can be 'rested' - he becomes neither more tired nor less tired.

Certainly, you can copy the NYGM damage model files for your ACM_GUI.

Regards
Stiebler.
Old 03-18-10, 02:25 PM   #355
h.sie
Admiral

Hi Stiebler,

my intention is to understand the damage system - not to change it.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-10, 01:20 PM   #356
h.sie
Admiral

Hello Stiebler,

while adapting ACM-GUI to NYGM, I found some differences between the "Enemies of Germany" entries in en_help.txt and de_help.txt. Since you are english, I think the en_help.txt is the up-to-date one. Tell me if you need help in translation.

Then, I found translation errors in de_menu.txt.

EN: 3955=RESUPPLY INFO
DE: 3955=FEINDE. Better: "NACHSCHUB-AUSKUNFT"

EN: 3956=MERCHANT INFO
DE: 3956=TANKER. Better: "HANDELSSCHIFF-AUSKUNFT"

EN: 4002=Briefing
DE: 4002=Genaues Better: "Anweisungen" or "Details"

And a last question: Is it okay to have a flag chart in the ACM-GUI?
I ask, because in NYGM there is none.

Regards,
h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 03-21-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 03:24 AM   #357
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@H.sie,

Thanks for these details, H.sie. I shall correct them as and when there is a new release of NYGM. I do not know from where these German translations came originally.

Certainly add a flag chart. That would be useful.

Good luck with your mod.

Stiebler.
Old 03-26-10, 02:02 PM   #358
ambarata
Watch

Downloads: 813
Default Bug

Hi

My submarine only floats with speed. If i stop the subs goes down.
Comments

AMBarata
ambarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 02:57 PM   #359
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Hi

My submarine only floats with speed. If i stop the subs goes down.
Comments

AMBarata
As designed in the mod

This is the result of simulating real buoyancy in the extent that the game allows it. Another take on the same problem is what GWX does by adding the opposite effect, positive buoyancy. Real WW2 submarines could not stay at constant depth for long if stopped, they needed some speed for the dive planes to act and "lift" or keep the boat down by constant minor corrections (Like an airplane's wings).

Thus: Never go below 2 knots or your sub will keep sinking slowly. For more info, read the NYGM manual, it is well explained there (The feature is called "Anti-humming bird")
Old 03-26-10, 03:38 PM   #360
ambarata
Watch

Downloads: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
As designed in the mod

This is the result of simulating real buoyancy in the extent that the game allows it. Another take on the same problem is what GWX does by adding the opposite effect, positive buoyancy. Real WW2 submarines could not stay at constant depth for long if stopped, they needed some speed for the dive planes to act and "lift" or keep the boat down by constant minor corrections (Like an airplane's wings).

Thus: Never go below 2 knots or your sub will keep sinking slowly. For more info, read the NYGM manual, it is well explained there (The feature is called "Anti-humming bird")

Thank you!

and keep the good work

AMBarata
ambarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torpedos through hull