SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-14, 12:29 PM   #1
Atis003
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Will the type IX and type II be playable?

The stats are already modded in the game for the type IX, as far as i know, but what is the problem with the external model?
With GR2 Editor/Viewer modders can add 3d models to the game and there is already a type II model, why isnt these subs playable then?
Atis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 02:07 PM   #2
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atis003 View Post
The stats are already modded in the game for the type IX, as far as i know, but what is the problem with the external model?
With GR2 Editor/Viewer modders can add 3d models to the game and there is already a type II model, why isnt these subs playable then?
IX and XXI are playable as far as depth, speeds, range and torpedo loadout goes. Graphically it is still the VII type. Loadouts may not show up fully especially when moving torpedoes around at the bunker, but will be fine when you start mission.

Links at bottom of this Open horizons link. Fromhell's links at bottom of thread are non-Open Horizons related.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 03:25 PM   #3
Atis003
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
IX and XXI are playable as far as depth, speeds, range and torpedo loadout goes. Graphically it is still the VII type. Loadouts may not show up fully especially when moving torpedoes around at the bunker, but will be fine when you start mission.

Links at bottom of this Open horizons link. Fromhell's links at bottom of thread are non-Open Horizons related.
But the IX types have 2 torpedo tubes at back, i doubt that can be modded in only by modifying the stats, i modded sh3 & 4 and it wasnt enough there, torpedoes can not come from nowhere.

And IX is bigger with a VII submarine exterior isnt it unrealistic? I mean explosions, shells not reaching the hull as it should be with the much bigger u-boat.

I just dont understand why the exterior cant be changed, type II is already in the game!
Old 01-22-14, 03:30 PM   #4
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Quote:

I mean explosions, shells not reaching the hull as it should be with the much bigger u-boat.

I just dont understand why the exterior cant be changed, type II is already in the game!
Ubisoft ended further development by the programmers for a project that was not finished. That is why things do not work as they should. Money.
Time and understanding of how things work for us volunteer modders. That is how most of us have learned. Helping one another, a desire of one or more persons to work on a problem that bugs them. Please volunteer your time to use the GR2 Editor/Viewer.

Shells and explosions I believe are done by something called ??collision or damage spheres??. vdr1981 did a great job with reworked submarine damage for the VII. Perhaps he can simulate IX damage somehow, too. Ask Gap, too, who is a wealth of knowledge across many features of the game.

We all hope modders can change this someday with the time they have for II, IX or XXI subs, too.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 01-22-14 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:49 PM   #5
Atis003
Swabbie

I follow the modding topic for a while and its impressive what they done so far. I know they added new models to the game and there is at least 2 interior model to the type VII, so this is why i dont get it why its not possible to add new sub exteriors.
I made an oath to myself: as long as there is no real type IX modded in im not going to play sh5, im gonna regret this, arent I?

Only moddifying the damage system wont be enough, because of the different shape, stern torpedo tube number.
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/5215/image0065an.jpg

I know the game engine always limits the possibilities, but there has to be a way.
I heard that the GWX team helped to create sh5, is this really true?
Im pretty sure that someone know the answer from the developers, maybe with dll injection.

Last edited by Atis003; 01-22-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 04:04 PM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Yes i follow the modding topic for a while and its impressive what they done so far. I know they added new models to the game and there is at least 2 interior model to the type VII, so this is why i dont get it why its not possible to add new sub exteriors.
I made an oath to myself: as long as there is no real type IX modded in im not going to play sh5, im gonna regret this, arent I?
So, what's wrong with type VII?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:09 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Not at all! " All men lie when they are drunk, in love (with Uboats?) or running for office!"-Shirley MacClean as amended slightly for . Welcome aboard on your first official day of posting Atis003!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:31 PM   #8
Atis003
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
So, what's wrong with type VII?
Its submerge too fast, i want to give those poor DD-s a fighting chance.

I see more potentional in type IX-s then VII
more fuel= more range
more torpedoes + 1 more aft tube + bigger deck gun = bigger destruction
it feels more like a predator, just dont get caught on the surface
it can stay longer submerged(with right number of crew), i think its looks more dangerous too
more crew = bigger parties
larger scale= bigger sonar contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Not at all! " All men lie when they are drunk, in love (with Uboats?) or running for office!"-Shirley MacClean as amended slightly for . Welcome aboard on your first official day of posting Atis003!
Thank you!
Old 01-22-14, 06:15 PM   #9
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I heard that the GWX team helped to create sh5, is this really true?
No.
Old 01-22-14, 06:27 PM   #10
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Im pretty sure that someone know the answer from the developers, maybe with dll injection.
IIRC, TDW talked about dll injection. Maybe it was in his [TEC] SH5.exe patches to fix bugs and add functionality thread.
Old 01-22-14, 06:49 PM   #11
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
IIRC, TDW talked about dll injection. Maybe it was in his [TEC] SH5.exe patches to fix bugs and add functionality thread.
No reason to do DLL injection. My Generic Patcher takes care of that and more I can do DLL injection but no reason/need to.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 07:21 PM   #12
Atis003
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
No reason to do DLL injection. My Generic Patcher takes care of that and more I can do DLL injection but no reason/need to.
If new models and interior can be modded already, then what is the problem with exterior?
There is an AI type II with the perfect 3d model, why can't someone just swap the interior?
As far as i know conversion from sh4 to sh5 is not possible and no type IX sh5 model is exist at the current moment.
What about copying the polygons from an older model?
Old 01-22-14, 07:39 PM   #13
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

TDW is doing great work on his GR2 program.
NOWHERE BY ANYONE has such a program been brought this far for modding GR2 files that I've ever seen.

You must remember. All modders here are doing what they can, when they can, for a total payment of NOTHING!

So TDW, like me and others, has to go earn real pay to just stay alive and pay the bills.
That real life work is more important then any hobby mod work.
Old 01-22-14, 08:00 PM   #14
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
If new models and interior can be modded already, then what is the problem with exterior?
There is an AI type II with the perfect 3d model, why can't someone just swap the interior?
As far as i know conversion from sh4 to sh5 is not possible and no type IX sh5 model is exist at the current moment.
What about copying the polygons from an older model?
It's not as easy as you may think it is. Open any sub from SH5 up in Goblin editor and look at how many things are involved in it. You'll notice that Goblin 'links in' all the references that are set in the various lnk, LNK@, prt, etc. files and references. You have tunnel vision just on one object - that one object is comprised of many other objects and everything relies on each other.

The GR2 Editor/Viewer currently doesn't support the adding of entirely new meshes (yet). I have functionality in it that will let you take an existing mesh and make it something new (by giving it new vertices). You can add/remove subsets from a mesh also. What's holding up the adding of new meshes? Time. It takes time to code this stuff. I'm playing in no-man's land currently - uncharted territory. I'm blazing my own path. I make assumptions as to how I think a certain part of the GR2 file works and most of the time those assumptions are correct. Sometimes they are partly correct and honesty those are the worst times. I don't know which part of the partly correct is correct Eventually I will get the app to the point where new meshes can be defined. I just need work to quit yanking me out of the country for these extended periods abroad.

That all being said if someone has the determination and the skill they could use my GR2 Editor/Viewer to make a new sub. Hope you got lots of time though as you'll also be blazing a new trail
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:41 PM   #15
Atis003
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
TDW is doing great work on his GR2 program.
NOWHERE BY ANYONE has such a program been brought this far for modding GR2 files that I've ever seen.

You must remember. All modders here are doing what they can, when they can, for a total payment of NOTHING!

So TDW, like me and others, has to go earn real pay to just stay alive and pay the bills.
That real life work is more important then any hobby mod work.
I know and i respect all modders work, im just curious.
You guys doing a superb job, i know programming and modding takes a lot of time and from that so little can be seen to a normal user, but creating something that others are enjoying its always feels good.
There is no expection, but what you guys are creating is always a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
It's not as easy as you may think it is. Open any sub from SH5 up in Goblin editor and look at how many things are involved in it. You'll notice that Goblin 'links in' all the references that are set in the various lnk, LNK@, prt, etc. files and references. You have tunnel vision just on one object - that one object is comprised of many other objects and everything relies on each other.

The GR2 Editor/Viewer currently doesn't support the adding of entirely new meshes (yet). I have functionality in it that will let you take an existing mesh and make it something new (by giving it new vertices). You can add/remove subsets from a mesh also. What's holding up the adding of new meshes? Time. It takes time to code this stuff. I'm playing in no-man's land currently - uncharted territory. I'm blazing my own path. I make assumptions as to how I think a certain part of the GR2 file works and most of the time those assumptions are correct. Sometimes they are partly correct and honesty those are the worst times. I don't know which part of the partly correct is correct Eventually I will get the app to the point where new meshes can be defined. I just need work to quit yanking me out of the country for these extended periods abroad.

That all being said if someone has the determination and the skill they could use my GR2 Editor/Viewer to make a new sub. Hope you got lots of time though as you'll also be blazing a new trail
If i understand it correctly the interior and exterior is in one file and the already existing type II model cant be copied and replace the VII exterior.
The easiest way would be modify the VII exterior model from polygon to polygon, well that would be a realy hard job. I hope you can extend your program to copy meshes and one day we can witness the true firepower of a fully armed and operational type IX u-boat!
Thank you for your hard work and for giving hope.

Tags
type ii, type ix