SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-14, 12:43 PM   #976
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

Crud! I thought you approved of the night fix for NYGM. I guess I was wrong.

While on the subject...any other fixes you don't like from H.sie's part of the patch?
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 02:57 PM   #977
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Please note also that monitor brightness plays an important role. I suggest that before getting annoyed when your crew signals a ship you can't see, you increase monitor brightness and double check. The only situation where you can say that sensors worked bad is if the ship is not rendered on screen. If it is, the problem lies in your brightness settings. The opposite is true, if you can see ships that your crew can't, reduce brightness until it becomes invisible.

It is impossible to produce sensor ranges that work for every monitor and user's setting out there, hence some cooperation from the player is needed for the best experience
Old 10-16-14, 08:43 PM   #978
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
@Lanzfeld:

H.sie used GWX, where the night time settings are much darker than for NYGM.
I use the options selector to disable H.sie's Night Vision Fix visual option completely. Otherwise you will have to experiment. H.sie's suggested values definitely do not apply to NYGM.

Stiebler.
hello Stiebler ,

during the development of Night Vision Fix ,we (me,H.Sie and Rubini) discovered that the night time settings and especially the ''Visual light factor'' (and not only this factor) in sensors.cfg (the file that is responsible for player's visuals) have no impact in game at all ! yes, i know that this may sounds strange to all of you but it is true.we are sure about it becuase we had tools that were showing us ,in real time on screen, the output of probabillity of detection.
in NYGM the ''Visual light factor'' value is 1.6 and in gwx is 5 and i ensure you that if you make this value 100 nothing is changing in game. H.Sie's values are ok for all supermods as a base.there ,may , need some tiny adjustment ,especially at the ''Visual fog factor'' value, but all these are explained in the readme files of the mod.

Night Vision Fix is one of the greatest hardcoded fixes ever made and the reason is simply becuase it is working, becuase it has no side effects and finally becuase there were never good working crew visuals to any supermod.
the way it is working can't hurt anyone as it simply moves the fog certain closer to user during the night times.
there are four night states in sh3, in the state of the clear night you can see here the results from a test i made on a stock NYGM setup (problem is not exclusively to NYGM though but to all supermods):
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=31
look only at the results at ''on pure NYGM installation (no mods enabled and no tweaks at NYGM's files)'' , don't pay attention to the rest stuff there as all the rest were earlier to Night Vision Fix that born later. if you believe that spotting a ship at even 14km during night is acceptable then i really don't know what to say more about the Night Vision Fix.
with Night Vision Fix , H.Sie gave the player the opportunity to reduce these distances to whatever percent player likes.with Night Vision Fix you can reduce these values to even 70% or 80% or a little bit if you like so why not to use it ?

in my opinion , Night Vision Fix is one of the best mods ever made for sh3

ps: Stiebler , don't take anything personal , NYGM has nothing to do with this. the bug is a sh3's one and it is fixed,i suggest you to take a closer look at it. i remember that there were some issues though on the way the mod worked on NYGM's enviro (and only on NYGM's enviro) but this,if i remember correct, was easily healed with some slight changes at fog's colors during night. i can help you with that ,if you like, and let you see it happening on your screen too.
two of the most important and experienced moders (H.Sie - Rubini) dealed with it and i ensure you that if you had the opportunity to look at the background during the development you would have no doupt about it today.

all the best,
Manos

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 10-16-14 at 09:15 PM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 09:03 PM   #979
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Incredible news Makman! This stuff is golden.

So in the Hsie readme it says to adjust the following for the night vision fix:

·
Visual range factor = 0.5

·

Visual fog factor = 1.02
· Visual light factor = 0.8

So you say the Vis Light Factor does nothing? What about the first one? The Vis Range Factor? Hsie says to adjust the Visual Fog Factor for your monitor so that one must do something.

I wonder why the other two are in the readme if Hsie knows they do nothing? (the Range and Light Factors)?
Old 10-16-14, 09:24 PM   #980
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Incredible news Makman! This stuff is golden.

So in the Hsie readme it says to adjust the following for the night vision fix:

·
Visual range factor = 0.5

·

Visual fog factor = 1.02
· Visual light factor = 0.8

So you say the Vis Light Factor does nothing? What about the first one? The Vis Range Factor? Hsie says to adjust the Visual Fog Factor for your monitor so that one must do something.

I wonder why the other two are in the readme if Hsie knows they do nothing? (the Range and Light Factors)?
the range has impact , (not all factors are useless) and as for the Light factor , it doesn't matter what to put there,H.Sie gave just one value ,the ...stock value

as, for the fog factor , that is the most sensitive one and ,yes , people must 'play' with value,as H.Sie explains, in order to sychronize your crew visuals with your bino-uzo visuals .becuase this value is very sensitive, users must slight changes on this value during the tests (changing steps of 0.01 are fine)

Old 10-16-14, 09:43 PM   #981
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Thanks Makman94.

Can you remember, exactly what Visual Range Factor does?
Old 10-16-14, 09:51 PM   #982
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Thanks Makman94.

Can you remember, exactly what Visual Range Factor does?
no , i can't remember such stuff as it was long ago , but i remember that we kept the stock value for Visual Range Factor during all the tests ,thats why H.Sie's gave you this value there.

you can create a simple single mission by yourself and start making your own changes - experiments on this value and see how hard or soft is behaving. if i am not mistaken , it was a hard one too.

Old 10-17-14, 02:32 AM   #983
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Makman94:
Quote:
Night Vision Fix is one of the greatest hardcoded fixes ever made and the reason is simply becuase it is working, becuase it has no side effects and finally because there were never good working crew visuals to any supermod . . . in my opinion , Night Vision Fix is one of the best mods ever made for sh3.
OK, Makman, I bow to superior knowledge.

I shall start to use the Night Vision Fix myself.

Thanks for the correction.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 12:41 PM   #984
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
@Makman94:
OK, Makman, I bow to superior knowledge.
...from all of my message ,the most important parts were the ones that you quoted ?
a reply in this style ,especially from you, was really a (sad) surprise.
i was never rude or disrespectful towards you.
from all the features ,that yours and H.Sie's fixes made availiable to users, i said that i prefer (and believe as best) the Night Vision Fix. what this has to do with the ''superior knowledge'' that you are posting?

Quote:
@Makman94:
I shall start to use the Night Vision Fix myself.

Stiebler.
you will fail. i don't believe that the Night Vision Fix can work on NYGM's enviro as your enviro is.if i remember correct some slight changes to fog's colors during night are necessery to be done (have to check it though first).

another good question is: have you include in your patch all the necessery parts for the Night Vision Fix , exactly as these were released by H.Sie ?
especially , does the envsim.act that comes with your patch contains the Night Vision Fix exactly as it was written by H.Sie?

Quote:
@Makman94:
Thanks for the correction.

Stiebler.
what ...correction? still till today ,you haven't enjoy the Night Vision Fix.
you are talking for the work at NYGM's crew visual at night like they are ok !
you are posting that you disable the Night Vision Fix and i am asking you why ? did you see the Night Vision Fix working at night ?
and if you saw it working (which i don't believe that ever happened) you prefered the current NYGM's crew visuals at night ? you prefered to spot ships at night at even 14 kilometers away ?

i am repeating you that this is not a personal attack to NYGM crew visual setiings . this is happening to ALL supermods and we managed to fix it.Night Vision Fix made the night ...to be ,at last,a night and user must forget shadowing ships from 10+km away at nights.

@Stiebler:
about the ''superior knowledge'':
nobody is cleverer than others,everything is a matter of the time you are willing to divode to.(the difference is that to someones it takes longer).
we spend ,maybe, a hundrend of hours exactly for the Night Vision Fix so i can say that in this specific part (crew visuals at night) i know much more things than you so ,it looks a bit odd to see you dumping mods that you never saw how they are when they are working. i remember how much excited Rubini ,H.Sie and me were ,when H.Sie managed to locate the fog certain and altered it...he was making a great step forward

Last edited by makman94; 10-18-14 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 01:33 PM   #985
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Makman94:

Sorry, I meant that I bow (I concede, I give way gracefully) to *your* superior knowledge.

Just an English slang expression, which you misunderstood.
Sorry again.

Stiebler.
Old 10-18-14, 01:57 PM   #986
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
@Makman94:

Sorry, I meant that I bow (I concede, I give way gracefully) to *your* superior knowledge.

Just an English slang expression, which you misunderstood.
Sorry again.

Stiebler.
i am asking a sincere sorry to you too for the misunderstanding ,Stiebler(i am very huppy that i took it wrong) but i have no superior knowledge at all. the specific part that you quoted is just my prefered feature of the availiable hardcore fixes and i had no intention to insinuate that the rest fixes are bad. what this has to do with knowledge?

still , i need an answer to this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94
have you include in your patch all the necessery parts for the Night Vision Fix , exactly as these were released by H.Sie ?
i need to know this becuase i am thinking to make a mini mod with all the necessery adjustments at NYGM's enviro in order the users that prefer NYGM's enviro to be able to use the Night Vision Fix

Old 10-18-14, 02:12 PM   #987
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

I would love to be able to use this in NYGM but I must say that now I am confused if this will work or not.

It sounds like a great addition if it can be made to work well with NYGM files
Old 10-19-14, 01:21 AM   #988
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333
Default Calculate speed

Hi guys I have a problem: how to calculate the speed of the target by hitman optic 3.6 fix? There is a detailed explanation of how to use Hit 3.6 fix for nygm? thanks to all
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 08:21 AM   #989
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Hi guys I have a problem: how to calculate the speed of the target by hitman optic 3.6 fix? There is a detailed explanation of how to use Hit 3.6 fix for nygm? thanks to all
There are several ways.

1. Plot the target. Wait 3:15 and plot the target again. Distance in meters is speed in knots. Actually you don't need to wait 3:15 seconds. Just use whatever time you want (longer time is more accurate) and use the lines at the right side of the map screen to calculate speed.

2. Go directly at target at slow and close to 60-120 AOB. Time how long it takes the ship to cross your UZO or periscope line. Then use formula Ship length/time*1.94=speed. I use 2 instead of 1.94 because it is quicker and just as accurate for our purpose.
Old 10-19-14, 08:41 AM   #990
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Makman94:

I have just checked my copy of H.sie's V16B1.7z download. Although it has the option to use the night vision fix, there do not seem to be any other files that are related to the night vision fix.

However, you posted earlier that the night vision fix requires H.sie's envsim.act file. This is not provided with the V16B1.7z download. I have a copy of H.sie's envsim.act, but I cannot remember from where I obtained it. The file is dated 18 February 2012.

My Stiebler hard-code patch overwrites SH3Sim.act, SH3Sound.act and envsim.act, all with later-dated versions. I believe that the SH3Sim.act and SH3Sound.act files were based on H.sie's last posted files, but that was more than two years ago, and I cannot recall clearly now.
The envsim.act file is definitely different, but my documentation advised users to take whichever envsim.act file they preferred.

Sorry I can't provide more help. I tested the beta version of H.sie's night-vision fix in NYGM, but I was not happy with the results. Again, I can no longer recall the reason.

@hauangua:
As you say, Hitman does not explain how to measure a ship's speed. What I do is this: judge a merchant-ship's speed from the angle of its smoke. Average is 7 knots.
Assume a warship's speed is 12 knots when hunting your U-boat. Assume 25 knots if the warship has not seen you.

Edit: I've just seen Lanzfeld's reply and the time. It took me more than 20 minutes to write this answer.

Stiebler.

Last edited by Stiebler; 10-19-14 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Update

Tags
torpedos through hull