SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-19, 04:55 PM   #7711
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I know it's not 100% reliable, but quick and easy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A...lass_submarine
... and they do list 23 knots for a top speed, which they could do for like 30 minutes or more... Normal "cruise" speed was like 10 or 12... We've got other / better documentation for it...
i did not know that
and did not research it.
i have to say that i pumped many 3" shells into it for a good long while. was it 30 minutes? who can say.

i can also relate that i hit that puppy with my deck guns many times...with no discernable damage to her...she just kept coming at 21-21-23 kts. so, she must not have many damage boxes.
anyway, my apologies for impugning the midget sub.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 06:33 PM   #7712
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

They were tough little puppies... They used to bounce all over the place like a pool cue ball when you hit them with a torpedo, but they will sink now, though they are still apparently too tough above the water line...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 09:46 AM   #7713
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone working on a fix for the lack of progression in armaments?

I know you all are very busy, but would like to make sure this is still on the table. Several weeks ago I reported that the game is not allowing any upgrades to the AA or deck guns when starting a career from Manila in an "S" class boat. Regardless of the date or type of sub as time and new boats move on, the only option is one or two .50 cal AA guns and a 3.5" deck gun. I found this over two careers now, both starting in an "S" class boat from Manila on 12/8/41 and progressing through Surabaya and Perth-Fremantle to Brisbane, and from the "S" boat clear up through the Tench out of Pearl Harbor in 1945.

I know you have a fix for the .50 Cal tracking/elevation issue, but have not seen anything on the progression of arms from .50 cal to 20mm to twin 20mm to single 40mm to dual 40mm on the later boats, and the deck gun from 3.5", 4.5" to 5.5".

I have not tried starting a career from other ports lately, but have never had problems with getting gun improvements in any previous career whether starting from Pearl or Midway.

Did I miss something? Thanks.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 10:01 AM   #7714
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I know you all are very busy, but would like to make sure this is still on the table. Several weeks ago I reported that the game is not allowing any upgrades to the AA or deck guns when starting a career from Manila in an "S" class boat. Regardless of the date or type of sub as time and new boats move on, the only option is one or two .50 cal AA guns and a 3.5" deck gun. I found this over two careers now, both starting in an "S" class boat from Manila on 12/8/41 and progressing through Surabaya and Perth-Fremantle to Brisbane, and from the "S" boat clear up through the Tench out of Pearl Harbor in 1945.

I know you have a fix for the .50 Cal tracking/elevation issue, but have not seen anything on the progression of arms from .50 cal to 20mm to twin 20mm to single 40mm to dual 40mm on the later boats, and the deck gun from 3.5", 4.5" to 5.5".

I have not tried starting a career from other ports lately, but have never had problems with getting gun improvements in any previous career whether starting from Pearl or Midway.

Did I miss something? Thanks.
hey bait,
it's a known issue and a fix is in the works....same as the previously mentioned AA gun elevation issue.
you did not miss a release.

LAA enabled
Old 03-10-19, 01:55 PM   #7715
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

May 1942 6000+ renown.

Last patrol netted 11 merchant and 5 warships

Turned down the new boat offered upon arriving at Midway.

Propbeanie does the date sound to early to be getting a new boat?

I started with a Tambor 12/1941 at Midway.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 04:13 PM   #7716
propbeanie

May of 1942, you should be OK for a Gato, but the game doesn't tell you what you'll get, only that you qualify for a new one... So "Save" before you take, so that you can roll back if you have to. I am not near my computer right now, but the intent with the v0.80 was for the Gato Availability to be April of 1942 at Pearl, and spread from there, the Balao was July 1943 at Brisbane, August at Pearl. Both of the boats could be had via "New Construction" at Mare earlier. The Gato was February 1942 and the Balao February 1943, both transferring to Pearl after completion of Sea Trials. The Tench was set for January 1945. The real boat wasn't available until February 1945 for patrol from Pearl, so we moved that up since we don't have any starts after January 1945. This is all only on the CareerStart menu, which is what you see when you choose a new career. We took the Flotillas.upc file and "opened" the dates for the subs in the Flotillas, since the game was assigning the boats early. There were no active mission objectives when that occurred and the game would crash. In v0.80, with the dates "opened", the game assigns the boats even earlier now, yet still crashes. As I've mentioned, there may be a single date off, several dates off, or a mis-place semi-colon that is the cause of all of our troubles, but several experiments conducted since have failed, so we'll keep looking and keep trying...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-12-19 at 07:53 AM. Reason: "we" "were"... wow - sprelling is not my strong suite...
Old 03-11-19, 07:25 AM   #7717
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hey bait,
it's a known issue and a fix is in the works....same as the previously mentioned AA gun elevation issue.
you did not miss a release.
Thanks, Captain Marco!

Old 03-12-19, 07:50 PM   #7718
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

As stated in a previous post I did a clean install and I'm running FOTRSU plus patch 5.

Since deciding to ignore new boats being given to me it is now August 1942 and I have not had a single CTD even around convoys and Task Force.

I do have a question. Isn't FOTRSU forced to not go over a certain time compression? My last install never went over 2048 but on the latest install it is going 8192. Even at that speed not a single problem of crash.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-12-19, 09:54 PM   #7719
propbeanie

I do believe that the Capn did remove the restriction, though it is still recommended to not go over 2048. Use anything higher "at your own risk", as they say.

Old 03-13-19, 09:34 PM   #7720
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I do believe that the Capn did remove the restriction, though it is still recommended to not go over 2048. Use anything higher "at your own risk", as they say.
I'm running v0.80 RC2 only. TC still capped for me at 2048. Maybe the patch is what lifts that restriction?

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 10:09 AM   #7721
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
I'm running v0.80 RC2 only. TC still capped for me at 2048. Maybe the patch is what lifts that restriction?
You can edit that by going into your "My Documents/SH4/data/cfg/" folder (or equivalent if you don't run Win7) and edit it in the "Main.cfg" file found there. Set it to 8192 or less, but as they say, do so at your own risk. Some systems just aren't up to it.

Old 03-14-19, 02:36 PM   #7722
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
You can edit that by going into your "My Documents/SH4/data/cfg/" folder (or equivalent if you don't run Win7) and edit it in the "Main.cfg" file found there. Set it to 8192 or less, but as they say, do so at your own risk. Some systems just aren't up to it.
Funny thing is I haven't edited anything and on my previous install it was capped at 2048 but on my latest install it is up to 8192. There is some discrepancy somewhere in a file that is not taking hold on ever installation.

All were clean installations and only ran FOTRSU plus Patch 5.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-14-19, 03:47 PM   #7723
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Funny thing is I haven't edited anything and on my previous install it was capped at 2048 but on my latest install it is up to 8192. There is some discrepancy somewhere in a file that is not taking hold on ever installation.

All were clean installations and only ran FOTRSU plus Patch 5.
the reason you didnt have to edit anything previously is probably because the modder set that value = 2048 before publishing the mod.

if you edit the Main.cfg you MAY find that the change did not become effective. that is because SH4 stores an additional copy of the Main.cfg in the savefile folders. i do not want to confuse you (too much) at this stage, so make the change and if it was successful you are done. if not, let me know and i'll tell you where to delete the bad file.

LAA enabled
Old 03-14-19, 06:54 PM   #7724
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the reason you didnt have to edit anything previously is probably because the modder set that value = 2048 before publishing the mod.

if you edit the Main.cfg you MAY find that the change did not become effective. that is because SH4 stores an additional copy of the Main.cfg in the savefile folders. i do not want to confuse you (too much) at this stage, so make the change and if it was successful you are done. if not, let me know and i'll tell you where to delete the bad file.
Forgive me for not being clear.

I have had three clean installs in the last month or so. The first two had the TC capped at 2048 the third however capped at 8192. There has been no editing on my part. On the last clean install the mod simply did not have at 2048 any longer. There was no save game as yet and this 8192 TC was there from the games beginning of the third clean install.

I have also figured out a remedy for the eternal hiss you can get with a Tambor having had damage.

I had 8% damage and the hiss was ever present. I came across a Sentaka Dai fast submarine. I was going in for deck gun action at close range since it had no deck gun of its own.

At less than 2000 yards and supremely confident it wasn't capable of firing torpedoes I began to open fire. At 1500 yards she opened up with two machine guns which I ignored. Then my event viewer popped open.

This was odd since I had fired no torpedoes. It seems the Sentaka Dai was very capable of firing fish indeed. I turned into the fish and emergency dive and summarily got my bow blown off increasing my damage to 58%.

I came up to periscope depth fearing I was going to sink, locked onto the submarine and fired at 1200 yards hitting and sinking it. I surfaced and surveyed the damage which was minor and quickly repair save for the hull damage at 58%.

The nice thing was the torpedo that struck me STOPPED the hiss altogether. I continued on for another week and a half before making my way to Midway. I never allowed the boat to descend past 160 feet due to fear the damaged hull might collapse.

The only issue I have with the enemy submarine is that this took place in SEPTEMBER 1942 ... the Sentaka Dai was not even sent to sea until 1945. The submarine should not have been there.

I was offered my second chance to get a new boat back at Midway and promptly turned it down.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-14-19, 10:38 PM   #7725
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Forgive me for not being clear.

I have had three clean installs in the last month or so. The first two had the TC capped at 2048 the third however capped at 8192. There has been no editing on my part. On the last clean install the mod simply did not have at 2048 any longer. There was no save game as yet and this 8192 TC was there from the games beginning of the third clean install.

I have also figured out a remedy for the eternal hiss you can get with a Tambor having had damage.

I had 8% damage and the hiss was ever present. I came across a Sentaka Dai fast submarine. I was going in for deck gun action at close range since it had no deck gun of its own.

At less than 2000 yards and supremely confident it wasn't capable of firing torpedoes I began to open fire. At 1500 yards she opened up with two machine guns which I ignored. Then my event viewer popped open.

This was odd since I had fired no torpedoes. It seems the Sentaka Dai was very capable of firing fish indeed. I turned into the fish and emergency dive and summarily got my bow blown off increasing my damage to 58%.

I came up to periscope depth fearing I was going to sink, locked onto the submarine and fired at 1200 yards hitting and sinking it. I surfaced and surveyed the damage which was minor and quickly repair save for the hull damage at 58%.

The nice thing was the torpedo that struck me STOPPED the hiss altogether. I continued on for another week and a half before making my way to Midway. I never allowed the boat to descend past 160 feet due to fear the damaged hull might collapse.

The only issue I have with the enemy submarine is that this took place in SEPTEMBER 1942 ... the Sentaka Dai was not even sent to sea until 1945. The submarine should not have been there.

I was offered my second chance to get a new boat back at Midway and promptly turned it down.
your solution is unique, to say the least.
i am going to take a pass on that solution the next time i get the hiss.

LAA enabled