SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-14, 08:03 AM   #1
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default Laptop cooling frame rates

SH4 runs well on my laptop. However after sometime it gets extremely hot. I read in other forums that gamers were setting their frame-rates to fixed rather then unlimited and found the game would run cooler. Last I checked my frame rate was around 60 FPS.

Is it possible to set the frame rate in SH4?

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 10:16 AM   #2
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

If I understand correctly checking vertical sync in the graphics options will limit your frame rate to your screen's refresh rate. That's the only way I know.

My screen refreshes at either 40hz or 60hz and I use 60. You may not notice any difference in heat produced if you were already running at almost exactly your refresh rate but this will at least keep it from trying to do 130fps when nothing is happening.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 05:09 PM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

If you are experiencing heat problems, I suggest you solve it at the source. And not limit the frame rate. It is very likely that the fan inside the laptop has a dust layer on it's blades. And even more likely, after a build up over the course of a year or so, a thick felt layer develops over the cooling ribs of the heat pipe. This prevents the air from flowing through, so no where for the heat to go to. The CPU and GPU will probably throttle down it's performance to prevent overheating. So there is enough to be gained here.

I understand if you do not dare to open up your laptop case. In some brands the fan can be hidden deeply inside, requiring substantial disassembly. But the fan case might also be fairly easy to open up. If you do not dare to do it yourself, consider letting it be done by your local pc repair shop. I consider this a required maintenance task, to be done regularly or at least annually. Depending on how dusty your working or playing environment is.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 10:36 PM   #4
Harmsway!
XO

Pisces - I have been thinking of doing just that. This weekend time for a cleaning.

SilentPrey - thanks for answering. That's what I wanted to know.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Old 08-14-14, 11:08 PM   #5
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

Glad to be of service. Happy hunting!
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 02:26 AM   #6
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

I've had my laptop overheat and shut down a few times so I sit it on top of a trivet - a couple of cm between table and machine makes a big difference - although Pisces advice is better for the machine, it won't hurt to improve airflow no matter what state you're cooling system is in
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 06:36 AM   #7
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
I've had my laptop overheat and shut down a few times so I sit it on top of a trivet - a couple of cm between table and machine makes a big difference - although Pisces advice is better for the machine, it won't hurt to improve airflow no matter what state you're cooling system is in
A trivet is a good idea. Increasing air circulation can't hurt. (BTW, why do they call it a "laptop" anyway? I once got superficial burns on my thighs from running it while it was sitting on my lap. Not a good idea!)

My wife has a humongously powerful vacuum cleaner - says "12 amps" although that's probably just marketing jive. Anyway, I put the suction hose flat against the fan grille, and let 'er suck for a minute or so. Then I do the same with the intake grilles. A hand cleaning would probably be more effective, but this seems to help, and it's quick and easy. I do this about once a month, or whenever I hear the fan running at high rpm more than it normally does. The vacuuming will return the fan to normal duty cycles, so I conclude that it is effective.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 09:27 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
A trivet is a good idea. Increasing air circulation can't hurt. (BTW, why do they call it a "laptop" anyway? I once got superficial burns on my thighs from running it while it was sitting on my lap. Not a good idea!)
The first laptops didn't have a secondary job as supporting heating system. The cpu and electronics only got mildly hot to the touch. I'm talking pre-Pentium.

Quote:
My wife has a humongously powerful vacuum cleaner - says "12 amps" although that's probably just marketing jive. Anyway, I put the suction hose flat against the fan grille, and let 'er suck for a minute or so. Then I do the same with the intake grilles. A hand cleaning would probably be more effective, but this seems to help, and it's quick and easy. I do this about once a month, or whenever I hear the fan running at high rpm more than it normally does. The vacuuming will return the fan to normal duty cycles, so I conclude that it is effective.
The worst thing you could do! Vacuum cleaners can create static electricity discharges. Which could potentially ruin the electronics. Bye bye mainboard!

But worse is that with sucking from the outside, you suck the felt between the cooling ribs. You might even make it clogg up further with a heavy duty vacuum cleaner. The spaces are usually less than a milimeter wide. Once it is in there, you won't get it out easily. Really, get yourself some screwdrivers with tiny tips, and go inside to get the felt out.
Old 08-17-14, 03:18 AM   #9
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
The worst thing you could do! Vacuum cleaners can create static electricity discharges. Which could potentially ruin the electronics. Bye bye mainboard!

But worse is that with sucking from the outside, you suck the felt between the cooling ribs. You might even make it clogg up further with a heavy duty vacuum cleaner. The spaces are usually less than a milimeter wide.
I totally agree and add another reason why never to use a vacuum cleaner.
When you put the mouth of the vacuum to the opening, the cooling fan will exceed max RPM and could damage its self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Once it is in there, you won't get it out easily. Really, get yourself some screwdrivers with tiny tips, and go inside to get the felt out.
I don't particularly agree with 'tiny screwdrivers' because that could leave marks inside the ribs clogging it up faster, what I'd use is a straw, a old school manually squeezed 'rubber hand pump' and a couple of cotton swabs.

The way I clean the heatsinks of my laptop:
1) large piece of paper (a4 size is fine)
2) draw the laptop on it and mark where screws go. (don't forget the ones by the harddrive and DVD player. You wouldn’t want to place the wrong screw in the wrong hole, believe me).
3) take a straw (a Mc Donalds sized straw is perfect for the job).
4) fold and cut the straw in a way you get about a 3cm sharp elongated arrow tip (don't cut it in one go but make small incisions, you don't want a smooth surface).
5) use the newly cut end of the straw and start moving it back and forth going up ever so slightly every time between the heatsinks cooling ribs.
6) take the rubber hand pump and place the opening in front of the just cleaned rib and press the pump a few times.
7) place the straw inside the same rib again redo step 5 together with step 6 this time.
8) do steps 5, 6 and 7 with every cooling rib.
9) take the cotton swabs and gently clean the fan blades and the insides of the fan casing.
10) take the rubber hand pump and blow between the fan blades while keeping the blades from moving.
11) when all of this is done use the rubber hand pump and go over every part of the laptop in order to remove as much dust as you can.
12) close it up (in reverse order to opening it) and you ready to go.

If you follow these steps, I guaranty the temp will be between 30c and 35c (running idle) and will sound like new.

PS_ You do this at your own risk, I will not take any responsibility if you trash your hardware in anyway.
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 03:45 AM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertogJan View Post
I totally agree and add another reason why never to use a vacuum cleaner.
When you put the mouth of the vacuum to the opening, the cooling fan will exceed max RPM and could damage its self.
Yes, forgot to add that one.

Quote:
I don't particularly agree with 'tiny screwdrivers' because that could leave marks inside the ribs clogging it up faster, what I'd use is a straw, a old school manually squeezed 'rubber hand pump' and a couple of cotton swabs.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for peeling the dust out. Just simply to open the casing. As the ones that I have come across had smaller than regular fastening screws.
Old 08-17-14, 07:32 AM   #11
Harmsway!
XO

By checking vertical sync I was able to get the heat down from 87 C to 75 C. Still very hot but enough to keep the laptop from shutting down during the game. SH4 runs well, no performance hit.

When at a hotel I also use a trivet or book to elevate off flat wood.

However I did notice my laptop was running hot just running windows. So yesterday I took the great advice here and gently blew out any dust on fan and ventilation. It didn't look like that much dust but WOW what a difference.

Last night I ran SH4 for a couple hours and only got to 48 C. As I type this the bottom of my laptop is cool to the touch.

Thanks for all the great advice.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Old 08-24-14, 06:17 AM   #12
normada
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I could luckily resolve my overheating problems with a vacuum carefully applied from the outside of my laptop (Dell XPS L702x). Procedure may differ from laptop to laptop.

Thx
Ron
Old 08-24-14, 09:49 AM   #13
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote