SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-16, 10:43 AM   #16
Holyfirebomb_7
Watch

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
I didn't know you could use mods with the Steam version at all. So I downloaded the game from Amazon. Now I have both. And I don't know where the Steam SH4 game files are, can't find them. Doesn't matter anyway...

Are you saying that in order for the JSGME to run the game MUST be in a folder different from Program Files (x86)?
1. On my steam version of the game the game files are in Program Files (86x) in the steam folder in the steam apps sub folder and then in common.

2. As long as JSGME is installed in the game files it should work. Mine has worked fine with the default installation location from steam, so I don't know where all of the complaints are coming from.
Holyfirebomb_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 09:06 PM   #17
Krasnoyarsk1986
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So, hi again. I'm still dealing with this same problem, even after I reinstalled the game in a new directory. I was wondering, could this be because i'm using Windows 10?
Old 07-23-16, 11:10 PM   #18
The Old Gringo
Swabbie

Downloads: 170

Ahoy shipmates,
I have similar problems. To begin, I downloaded (torrent) SH4 WotP about a month ago, WOW knocked my socks off. Ten days ago I purchased SH4 WotP Gold, a huge improvement over the torrent. My problems are as Krasnoyarsk1986 has described. Plus, the "keymapper" download does nothing. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.
The only download acquired from this site that has worked is "Pacific Sound Mod" and I ended up entering that one into the data file directly (copy/paste).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW; I've read the supplied text with the download and watched a ton of YouTube vid's all to no avail. Additional, I turned off my Antivirus and re-downloaded, thinking perhaps it was preventing some files from coming through.
The Old Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 08:36 PM   #19
wolfman Ben
Watch

Downloads: 149
wolf_howl15 Maker

Try reporting the bug to the maker of the mod
wolfman Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 10:00 PM   #20
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

The Old Gringo!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 08:49 AM   #21
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyfirebomb_7 View Post
1. On my steam version of the game the game files are in Program Files (86x) in the steam folder in the steam apps sub folder and then in common.

2. As long as JSGME is installed in the game files it should work. Mine has worked fine with the default installation location from steam, so I don't know where all of the complaints are coming from.
Just guessing here, but I don't think its the use of Program Files directly. It seems to be the use of Program Files AND User Account Control settings which on some higher settings controls the manipulation of files/data placed in Program Files folders. This is why its better to NOT install games in the Program Files folders. It avoids the issue by keeping User Account Controls somewhat neutered.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 09:26 AM   #22
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmar View Post
(Be sure that your) MODS folder, jsgme.exe and jsgme.ini are in your SH4 root folder? ... Also make sure that the mods file structure is right. Inside your MODS folder, you'll want to see a folder for you mod, and directly inside that there should be at least a Data folder.

Like this: Silent Hunter 4/MODS/mod name/Data
Very important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Okay, within Steam you have the option of moving your steamapps folder from the Program Files (x86) directory to another. Tell Steam to do that and put the \games directory directly under the root directory of the drive you want to use.

You'll have to uninstall SH4, move the directory and reinstall. Then recreate the jsgme files and the \MODS subdirectory. You should be good to go then...
Just in case you have the Steam version - use the Steam web app to manage that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
... It seems to be the use of Program Files AND User Account Control settings which on some higher settings controls the manipulation of files/data placed in Program Files folders. This is why its better to NOT install games in the Program Files folders. It avoids the issue by keeping User Account Controls somewhat neutered.
If you have the Steam version, do as Rockin Robbins says. If you have the DVD version (which "Gold" is a DVD version), then do like Gray Lensman says. Windows (and Steam) "protect" those "system" folders and their structure with any level of UAC enabled, so that the user doesn't "accidentally" fall on his own sword and possibly cut himself, which is fine, just so long as you don't wanna do any mods.

A lot of folks install the game into like "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4\" (your choice on the naming used), and you can make changes in there with minimal interference from Windows (or Steam). DO NOT PUT IT IN THE ROOT, else you'll have a mess (just sayin'). Again, your MODS folder & JSGME should be in the "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4\" folder, and any mods you want to use, you have to put in the MODS folder and then enable by your use of JSGME (of course...). Be aware that some mods, when unzipped, will create an "invalid" folder structure. You HAVE to read the ReadMe file, or pay close attention to the folder structure the modder used. As jonmar mentioned, you want "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4\MODS\ModName\" and below that would be the \Data and any other folders included (such as \Support with ReadMe and/or Help files). If the folder structure is different from that, JSGME will act like it enabled it (and rather quickly, too), but you'll not notice a difference - 'cause there is none!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 07:40 PM   #23
Krasnoyarsk1986
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Woohoo!! Everything (Except Karle94's North Carolina) is working! Thank you all so much!!