Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-17, 06:03 AM   #16
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Squid.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 06:05 AM   #17
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Fair winds and following seas matey

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 06:57 AM   #18
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

All the best to you as you enter a newer and larger world. Mr Quatro, propbeanie, Neal, Catfish, Platapus and the others all said it best. Let us know how you are doing when you can.

To that I can only add, keep your eyes open and stay safe. All the best in your future endeavors as well. Remember, it's not just a job but an adventure.
edit: Look into you Your MOSs, or "Military Occupation Specialties to see if you can get college credits for what you have learned. There should be the college equivalents for what you have learned. Take advantage of any college and schooling you can get through the military as well. College for civilians is expensive and as a vet, you are entitled to a college education in return for your service. If you decide to stay in the military, you may well be offered a commission. If you do all that, you should be well prepared for the rest of your life should you decide to leave the military.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 09-23-17 at 08:30 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 08:19 AM   #19
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

Good luck. Enjoy it.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 05:24 PM   #20
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Be smart, study your butt off, save your money in the 10% overseas saving plan (if you qualify) stay on board the ship in foreign ports, don't go out at night, sleep in the top bunk, don't do anything that would embarrass your mother, send her a postcard once in a while, don't fall in love with anyone overseas and have a good time sailor.
Wait..what?... Is Kaptlt. Endrass joining the Navy or a monastery?...

Good Luck to you on your new adventure and safe voyages all the way. Thank you for your service and know it is appreciated and respected. As far as the above advice, boil it down to: Don't do anything that may require either bail or an ER, or both...

<O>
Old 09-20-17, 07:36 PM   #21
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

As an American, I'll say thank you for stepping up and serving.

As an Air Force guy, I'll say come join Big Blue when you finish your first enlistment.

As a brother, I'll see you on the other side.

Several people from my hometown area went in, two of them Navy...some of them Army, a few more Marines. Honestly, if I hadn't made my decision already, I'd probably have gone Navy. Beaches, port visits, travelling, etc etc. It sounds great.

Have you got your job/rating? (I'm honestly not sure what they call it) or did you enlist with an open contract?
Old 09-20-17, 09:29 PM   #22
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Congratulations and thank you for volunteering for service. A lot of good advice already posted. Keep up with education. I have a cousin that started in the Navy right out of high school. He continued his education and got his commission. He retired as Captain.
Old 09-21-17, 11:22 AM   #23
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 315
Icon14

Kaptlt Endrass,

I too served in the US Navy, actually 11 years(59-70), and seen the world and took part in the blockade around Cuba during the cold war days. Some good advise has been posted before this post by some very good folks, so as a reminder, study hard with your training and continue to study after boot camp. There are a lot of adventures ahead of you. Be smart & sharp.

Thanks for joining our Navy.

R. Clay Reynolds

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:37 AM   #24
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

You will always have a cold stained smelly bunk in the Bilge!

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 01:02 AM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

He will miss having his own cold stained smelly Bilge bunk dearly it after he encounters the rigors of 'hotbunking' in the Navy!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 06:11 AM   #26
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Think of it as attending a small communal church -- sitting in your neighbour's pew.
Old 09-24-17, 07:47 PM   #27
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
As an American, I'll say thank you for stepping up and serving.

As an Air Force guy, I'll say come join Big Blue when you finish your first enlistment.

As a brother, I'll see you on the other side.

Several people from my hometown area went in, two of them Navy...some of them Army, a few more Marines. Honestly, if I hadn't made my decision already, I'd probably have gone Navy. Beaches, port visits, travelling, etc etc. It sounds great.

Have you got your job/rating? (I'm honestly not sure what they call it) or did you enlist with an open contract?

AF already tried to get me....well after everything with the Navy had been established. Told them the only reason I'd ever go Air Force is to fly an A-10.

My rating is CTT; cryptotechnology technician...and I can say that the background check for that was extremely thorough. After my first enlistment, though, I am planning to put a package into my command for the BUD/S program

@CTU_Clay: Going enlisted, but hopefully I'll be getting at least my bachelor's while in. I've yet to decide whether I want to go line or warrant officer if I were to reach that point.

Now, with North Korea being as they are, I may even have some war stories to share at a later date You never know!

This is it for me...early day tomorrow, and I've got to spend a few more precious hours with my family. Mum's a wreck, as expected. Thank you all for your support, thank you even more for your service, past, present, and future! Be glad to come across some of you in the fleet!

Commander Neal, I am ready to be relieved.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 09:17 PM   #28
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Just be sure and use your rear-view mirrors and watch your sixes, please... Take care, and I give you my best civvie salute:

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote