SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-17, 12:52 PM   #1
Some guy on the internet
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New player

Hello everyone
I am new here...I just bought SH4 on steam yesterday and I am really enjoying it...
I heard about this community , so maybe some of you guys can help me with some questions regarding the gameplay...
1) When you engage lone merchants , the AI is capable of calling in for help from nearby warships and airplanes?
2) What is the difference between pasive and active methods of detection?
3) What is the thermal layer? When I submerge I often hear a voice saying "Passing thermal layer"
4) Is there any disadvantages or dangers if you run the submarine at very big depth?
5)After I finished my second patrol I tried to upgrade my porpoise class with a surface radar , but there was no option for it..I was only able to get an air radar
6)Is crew managment important?
7) Is possible to get attacked by enemy submarines?
8) Is there any way to stop the time compression reset when you receive radio messages? I can be very annoying sometimes
That would be everything for now...Thank you
And I am sorry for any typos..English is not my native language..I am trying my best
Some guy on the internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 01:55 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Some guy on the internet!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 03:26 PM   #3
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

to all your questions....

take time to look through the 'sticky' notes.

LOTS (and lots) of good info, tactics, etc.

And welcome aboard

Quickie: Backspace takes you to pause
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 03:35 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome aboard. Happy to have you with us.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 02-11-17 at 04:25 PM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 03:41 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

My opinions and observations:

1) When you engage lone merchants , the AI is capable of calling in for help from nearby warships and airplanes?
- I'm not sure about "stock", but some of the mods sometimes simulate that, but the "help" has to be about 30" away, unless it's airplanes, then the enemy sticks to you like glue. Don't be seen...

- Passive means techniques such as listening on hydrophones or looking through binoculars. Active means to "ping" with sonar or sweep with radar.

3) What is the thermal layer? When I submerge I often hear a voice saying "Passing thermal layer"
- The thermal layer comes about from the sun heating the surface of the ocean, raising its temperature above the underlying "layers". The area of the temperature "swing" from warm to cold is the thermal layer. It is not always present, not always at the same depth, and sometimes not very strong, though when it is, it can have a tendency to "bounce" or distort sound waves, making sonar more difficult to use, helping a submarine "hide".

4) Is there any disadvantages or dangers if you run the submarine at very big depth?
- You'll be crushed worse than a cockroach if you go too deep, especially too fast. You do also incur damage as you stay below a certain depth in your boat, generally a good bit below the "crush depth" of the boat. The newer the boat model, the deeper you can go. The stock game has a red line on the depth gauge to show where the "test depth" is, and won't let you "D" key dive below that, but you can click on the gauge to go below...

5)After I finished my second patrol I tried to upgrade my porpoise class with a surface radar , but there was no option for it..I was only able to get an air radar
- "Upgrade" items are available in a timely manner similar to what they were available in real life during WW2, so you don't have good air and surface search radars available right away.

- Not particularly. However, if you take care of your crew, they will at times take care of you. The one thing to check for is proper crew assignment, especially the watch crew. As an example, the game has a knack of assigning nearly blind men to the bridge, so look for a crew member's "Watchman" ability...

- I've never been attacked by one, but that's not to say it hasn't happened to others, but I've seldom seen one in-game anyway. I have sunk one though. Long time ago. I have no definitive answer...

8) Is there any way to stop the time compression reset when you receive radio messages? I can be very annoying sometimes
- Yes, but at the cost of your "life" in-game if the detection is an enemy entity... You'd "mod" a configuration file with a text editor, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head... If you have radar, turning if off can help, but the Porpoise boat and all above it have the SD radar by default (and you can't control it), and that's usually the one that does it. Most folks playing SH4 have "+" (plus) keys on the number pad that are worn-out from all the tapping...

Welcome to SubSim, and be sure and read some of the "stickie" threads up top of all the sections here, but especially THEBERBSTER's and Rockin Robbin's, two of the most helpful people around.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 03:50 AM   #6
getbac
Watch

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My opinions and observations:

- I'm not sure about "stock", but some of the mods sometimes simulate that, but the "help" has to be about 30" away, unless it's airplanes, then the enemy sticks to you like glue. Don't be seen...

- Passive means techniques such as listening on hydrophones or looking through binoculars. Active means to "ping" with sonar or sweep with radar.

- The thermal layer comes about from the sun heating the surface of the ocean, raising its temperature above the underlying "layers". The area of the temperature "swing" from warm to cold is the thermal layer. It is not always present, not always at the same depth, and sometimes not very strong, though when it is, it can have a tendency to "bounce" or distort sound waves, making sonar more difficult to use, helping a submarine "hide".

- You'll be crushed worse than a cockroach if you go too deep, especially too fast. You do also incur damage as you stay below a certain depth in your boat, generally a good bit below the "crush depth" of the boat. The newer the boat model, the deeper you can go. The stock game has a red line on the depth gauge to show where the "test depth" is, and won't let you "D" key dive below that, but you can click on the gauge to go below...

- "Upgrade" items are available in a timely manner similar to what they were available in real life during WW2, so you don't have good air and surface search radars available right away.

- Not particularly. However, if you take care of your crew, they will at times take care of you. The one thing to check for is proper crew assignment, especially the watch crew. As an example, the game has a knack of assigning nearly blind men to the bridge, so look for a crew member's "Watchman" ability...

- I've never been attacked by one, but that's not to say it hasn't happened to others, but I've seldom seen one in-game anyway. I have sunk one though. Long time ago. I have no definitive answer...

- Yes, but at the cost of your "life" in-game if the detection is an enemy entity... You'd "mod" a configuration file with a text editor, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head... If you have radar, turning if off can help, but the Porpoise boat and all above it have the SD radar by default (and you can't control it), and that's usually the one that does it. Most folks playing SH4 have "+" (plus) keys on the number pad that are worn-out from all the tapping...

Welcome to SubSim, and be sure and read some of the "stickie" threads up top of all the sections here, but especially THEBERBSTER's and Rockin Robbin's, two of the most helpful people around.
great comeback..... you helped another noob!
Old 02-11-17, 03:42 PM   #7
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Welcome Aboard!

Short answers below. As mentioned, look through the stickies. Also, find a post by THEBERBSTER, such as this one, for some links to get you going.

1) Yes, it is.
2) Passive is peeking out the window to see if you see anyone. Active is turning on a spotlight and shouting "Is anyone out there?" Active is much more likely to get you noticed than passive.
3) It's a depth at which water temperature changes drastically. These layers do funny things to sound, which means that the enemy is less likely to hear you if you are below the layer.
4) Go too deep, and your boat will be crushed.
5) Certain technologies are time-dependent. The empty slot still appears, even if the device is not available. It also depends on your home port. Pearl Harbor gets new technology faster than the Australian ports.
6) The skills are important, and the fatigue level. If you forget and leave the crew at battlestations, they'll tire out after a while and refuse to do anything.
7) Depends on what mods you are running, I believe.
8) I think so, but I don't remember which file controls it.
Old 02-11-17, 07:07 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Some guy on the internet
Support The New SH4 Mega Mod Project FOTRSU > 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.52_PublicBeta_E N
Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions By ValoWay

Quote:
You can Google this for a more accurate answer.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 03:56 AM   #9
getbac
Watch

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy on the internet View Post
Hello everyone
I am new here...I just bought SH4 on steam yesterday and I am really enjoying it...
I heard about this community , so maybe some of you guys can help me with some questions regarding the gameplay...
That would be everything for now...Thank you
And I am sorry for any typos..English is not my native language..I am trying my best
Welcome someguy.... these people are a great source of learning. I keep reading and reading and I get more and more questions. I'm a noob to so understand your dilemma, but in a short time you'll be skipperin along and wham you'll realized "dang, I should dived" cause a bomber did it for ya!

didn't know there was a favorite language, I have to look into that cuz I beat the heck outa the one I'm supposed to be good at
Old 02-12-17, 09:11 AM   #10
Some guy on the internet
Swabbie

Thanks for the help...
Another question...When I use the hydrophone , I always hear sound at 180 degrees ...Its that actually the sound of my own engines?
Also , when the game soundtrack changes to an aggresive song , that means I got detected?

Last edited by Some guy on the internet; 02-12-17 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-12-17, 12:19 PM   #11
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
When I use the hydrophone , I always hear sound at 180 degrees ...Its that actually the sound of my own engines?
Yes, that's your own noise. It also means you won't ever detect anything behind you. If you get a destroyer circling you, you'll see that he disappears a for a short time when he is almost directly behind you.
The submariner term for this area behind you is the "baffles".

Quote:
Also , when the game soundtrack changes to an aggresive song , that means I got detected?
Don't know on this one. It's been years since I played with the stock music.
Old 02-12-17, 12:59 PM   #12
Some guy on the internet
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Yes, that's your own noise. It also means you won't ever detect anything behind you. If you get a destroyer circling you, you'll see that he disappears a for a short time when he is almost directly behind you.
The submariner term for this area behind you is the "baffles".
So , this means the enemy warships also cant detect me if I am coming from behind them?
Old 02-12-17, 02:20 PM   #13
redline202
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

They can detect your ass if your are behind them but with limited range. And it depends on crew skill and many more factors.