SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-19, 07:04 PM   #7621
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Yes, that was probably stupid question, but question nevertheless...
Even SH3 has more vegetation, not to say SH5 of course (thanks to Gap), but was always wondering about SH4 « nudity » from day one, so my asking.

Of course it doesn’t affect gameplay, just a bit for immersion, only in my opinion.
And you have other stuff to enhance before trees
There are no stupid questions. Only answers which defy logic and kindly thought or those based in understanding and fact.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 07:20 PM   #7622
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Yes, that was probably stupid question, but question nevertheless...
Even SH3 has more vegetation, not to say SH5 of course (thanks to Gap), but was always wondering about SH4 « nudity » from day one, so my asking.

Of course it doesn’t affect gameplay, just a bit for immersion, only in my opinion.
And you have other stuff to enhance before trees
my apologies to you if you were insulted with my previous response.
it was not meant that way...however some of our shipmates took umbrage...even with my typos.

on a serious note, PB reminded me that it was i who ran into the lack of detail issue and i resolved that just the way he described it: change the level of detail in the graphics options screen. keep in mind that your memory usage will also increase...which may cause slowdowns or stutter when you accelerate your time compression, especially later in your patrol.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 10:24 PM   #7623
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Is there a time line of the next release of this wonderful mod?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 02:38 AM   #7624
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
my apologies to you if you were insulted with my previous response.
it was not meant that way...however some of our shipmates took umbrage...even with my typos.

on a serious note, PB reminded me that it was i who ran into the lack of detail issue and i resolved that just the way he described it: change the level of detail in the graphics options screen. keep in mind that your memory usage will also increase...which may cause slowdowns or stutter when you accelerate your time compression, especially later in your patrol.
That’s ok with me mate! No problems at all

I run FOTRSU all maxed out in graphic options, so i should see all that it’s given in SH4

I’m waiting next released impatiently, with effective 50.Cal, new flags, better DDs...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 06:40 AM   #7625
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

one question. Are the MK14 torpedoes doing correctly damage? I hit with two torps a small warship (guess it was a little cruiser/wasn`t a destroyer)
It was only slightly sinking and leaning to the right sight.

The hits taken where on the back right part, but the warship didn`t loose speed and was still travelling with 13kts. Still after 2 hours it was still travelling.

Compared to Wolves of steel it seems even the smaller ships need more hits to sink. Is this intended?

Last edited by italianmarine; 02-27-19 at 09:06 AM.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 08:38 AM   #7626
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Is there a time line of the next release of this wonderful mod?
I'll check with RR how he's making out deciphering all the PMs that have been flying the last few days. He had the mix on simmer, and then we interrupted him not once, not twice, but thrice...

Quote:
That’s ok with me mate! No problems at all

I run FOTRSU all maxed out in graphic options, so i should see all that it’s given in SH4

I’m waiting next released impatiently, with effective 50.Cal, new flags, better DDs...
Fifi, if your graphics settings in the game are maxed, then "that's all she's got Cappin', an' I can't give 'er no more!" as Scotty used to say on Star Trek...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianmarine View Post
one question. Are the MK14 torpedoes doing correctly damage? I hit with two torps a small warship (guess it was a little cruiser/wasn`t a destroyer)
It was only slightly sinking and leaning to the right sight.

The hits taken where on the back right sight part but the warship didn`t loose speed and was still travelling with 13kts. Still after 2 hours it was still travelling.

Compared to Wolves of steel it seems even the smaller ships need more hits to sink. Is this intended?
Silent Hunter 4 does not model prop or rudder damage very well, but they do have boiler damage. Mix that in with inconsistent damage models on some of the ships, and it can be frustrating.

Now, another aspect is your torpedoes themselves, and their "dud" rate. One thing that the torps did in real life, and the game does "model" to an extent is the "early" detonation, as opposed to the premature detonation. The "premature" ones blow almost immediately, as soon as they arm. But the "early" detonations might happen just short of the target, and look like a hit, but in effect, do very little damage. Another thing to remember is that the US torpedoes were rather light in "boom-boom" strength until they started using torpex. They were still small warheads though.

I put all of that together in my mind when it takes 3 or 4 torps to sink some of the little guys. Whereas, at the opposite end, if you hit a CA or CL between the bridge and the next forward gun position, you will often cause a "magazine explosion", which occurs just a bit too easily, so it will even itself out anyway.

I had a Shokaku several months ago that had about a 20° list to starboard, down by the bow, with the front corner of the flight deck under water from two hits on the bow, and it was still trucking along at a good 16 knots. I was held down for a little while by several DD, and by the time I came back up, there was no way I was going to find that CV... Other times, I've had them go down with one hit in the middle, under the stack. I consider it part of the gameplay. Now, if you find a small ship that will NOT sink, let us know. We have had a couple of those that needed some remedial help in sinking mechanics, especially the AI subs...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 09:54 AM   #7627
italianmarine
A-ganger

I asked bstanko6, who added a really nice radio mod for Silent Hunter 5 TWOS, if there was a similar mod for SH4.

He added some days ago a revised version for SH4.
I tested his mod together with the actual FOTRS 0.8 and I must say it works smoothly. Didn`t encounter any CTDS.
It contains nice music for Washington frequence, Tokio freq. etc.

Maybe the modders might consider to add it directly in the FOTRS mod.
Old 02-27-19, 12:34 PM   #7628
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianmarine View Post
I asked bstanko6, who added a really nice radio mod for Silent Hunter 5 TWOS, if there was a similar mod for SH4.

He added some days ago a revised version for SH4.
I tested his mod together with the actual FOTRS 0.8 and I must say it works smoothly. Didn`t encounter any CTDS.
It contains nice music for Washington frequence, Tokio freq. etc.

Maybe the modders might consider to add it directly in the FOTRS mod.
Does it have a name? Is it in the Downloads section?

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 12:48 PM   #7629
italianmarine
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Does it have a name? Is it in the Downloads section?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5432

this should bring you directly to his mod for SH4.

It is not exactly the full version like the one for The Wolves of Steel but at least nice radio channel for departure, Washington and Tokio.
Old 02-27-19, 01:08 PM   #7630
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Silent Hunter 4 does not model prop or rudder damage very well, but they do have boiler damage. Mix that in with inconsistent damage models on some of the ships, and it can be frustrating.

Now, another aspect is your torpedoes themselves, and their "dud" rate. One thing that the torps did in real life, and the game does "model" to an extent is the "early" detonation, as opposed to the premature detonation. The "premature" ones blow almost immediately, as soon as they arm. But the "early" detonations might happen just short of the target, and look like a hit, but in effect, do very little damage. Another thing to remember is that the US torpedoes were rather light in "boom-boom" strength until they started using torpex. They were still small warheads though.

I put all of that together in my mind when it takes 3 or 4 torps to sink some of the little guys. Whereas, at the opposite end, if you hit a CA or CL between the bridge and the next forward gun position, you will often cause a "magazine explosion", which occurs just a bit too easily, so it will even itself out anyway.

I had a Shokaku several months ago that had about a 20° list to starboard, down by the bow, with the front corner of the flight deck under water from two hits on the bow, and it was still trucking along at a good 16 knots. I was held down for a little while by several DD, and by the time I came back up, there was no way I was going to find that CV... Other times, I've had them go down with one hit in the middle, under the stack. I consider it part of the gameplay. Now, if you find a small ship that will NOT sink, let us know. We have had a couple of those that needed some remedial help in sinking mechanics, especially the AI subs...
Balao based at Midway, Mid 1943, Near Yokohama.

Early detonation? Like this? Apologies for the silly worded Twitch URLs. They are auto generated by the clip creation engine on the Twitch website.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SweetPowerfulSalsifyKippa

Strange thing this one was not called out as a dud.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuperBloodyMilkMrDestructoid

After leaving the bay this happened. I've now got another save of an IJN Midget contact. I've yet to use it, but I also have a Cutie loaded in a stern tube on this save. He got the better of me this go around. He gets the Cutie next time. Edit: I saw no event camera, despite having it enabled in settings, for his torpedo launch. Contact with these small targets is sketchy on a good day. So maybe lacking him as an active contact at the time he fired is why? Dunno.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/387594307

Side note. Twice now, once around Christmas 1941 Gar, and now mid 1943 Balao, I've had the dreaded CO2 bug that eventually kills the crew and also fails to display any watch officers topside when surfaced. Both times this happened after submerged attack runs into Tokyo bay. Saving the game and then loading the save clears this problem.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA

Last edited by Immelmann; 02-27-19 at 01:21 PM.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 04:17 PM   #7631
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Balao based at Midway, Mid 1943, Near Yokohama.

Early detonation? Like this? Apologies for the silly worded Twitch URLs. They are auto generated by the clip creation engine on the Twitch website.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SweetPowerfulSalsifyKippa

Strange thing this one was not called out as a dud.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuperBloodyMilkMrDestructoid
after reviewing the videos it appears to me as if the torpedos ran deep under your target. some hit whatever was behind the target and some did not.

do you remember what ship the target was?

LAA enabled
Old 02-27-19, 06:53 PM   #7632
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

@ Immelmann: The torps appear to function as they "are intended" in the game, which emulates real life like that... I have had runs of 12 in a row of "duds" of one form or another, whether it'd be failure to detonate from under-running and the mag pistol didn't fire, or one of several varieties of "prematures", or bouncing off the sides of ships (had three of those on the same ship), or running deeper than set, or having the wonderful circle-runner come get ya... on one trip, 6 of 24 topedoes worked. Sank one ship... Next time out, it was the other way around.

As for the midget's torpedo getting you, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the External Camera doesn't work when at the gun stations. I'll try a few of those experiments. I've got me a couple of AI subs shooting torps test missions I can run, and I'll try various stations. Another thing, you close the window in the 2nd clip. Is the 3rd clip from the same SH4 session?

@ italianmarine: We'll leave those kinds of mods to the player. At this time, none of the mods have been tested for "compatibility" with FotRSU, but we'll get to that testing after the "full" version of the mod is released.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 08:27 PM   #7633
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
do you remember what ship the target was?
Heavy Cruiser Haguro Class. 14,980 tons and anchored just off the port of Yokohama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ Immelmann: The torps appear to function as they "are intended" in the game, which emulates real life like that... I have had runs of 12 in a row of "duds" of one form or another, whether it'd be failure to detonate from under-running and the mag pistol didn't fire, or one of several varieties of "prematures", or bouncing off the sides of ships (had three of those on the same ship), or running deeper than set, or having the wonderful circle-runner come get ya... on one trip, 6 of 24 topedoes worked. Sank one ship... Next time out, it was the other way around.

As for the midget's torpedo getting you, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the External Camera doesn't work when at the gun stations. I'll try a few of those experiments. I've got me a couple of AI subs shooting torps test missions I can run, and I'll try various stations. Another thing, you close the window in the 2nd clip. Is the 3rd clip from the same SH4 session?
Given the distance that I fired from in the first clip, I am now thinking they may have run out of propellant literally yards short of the target. Yes, same session. The first 2 clips were at night off Yokohama. The following day I encountered the IJN Midget about 75 to 100 nm SSE of the mouth of Tokyo Bay.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 09:23 PM   #7634
VIIC1941
Watch

Downloads: 135
Default torpedo damage

Can someone tell me about the torpedo damage mechanism and ship damage models in SH4?

How can I calculate the hit points while torpedo hit different part of a ship?

VIIC1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 10:10 PM   #7635
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Heavy Cruiser Haguro Class. 14,980 tons and anchored just off the port of Yokohama.
yep...you were bitten by the draft-disparity-bug.
NCA_HAGURO.CFG
ClassName=CAHaguro
3DModelFileName=data/Sea/NCA_Haguro/NCA_Haguro
Draft=6.4

NCA_HAGURO.SIM
draught=10.5

so, the simulated draft of the cruiser you fired on is 6.4 meters but the draft set for your torpedo depth is 10.5 meters.
you would never have hit that ship with the computer-set-draft.

there are a number of ships that have this feature.
please do not get angry at me...i was stung by the bug when i fired on the Aden Maru, the Ada Maru, the Ansyu Maru, and others.

LAA enabled