SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-19, 08:57 PM   #7021
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
In this case luck beats skill every time and the sub caught a convenient rain shower which screened them from the Japanese patrol boat with the popgun. They ran away and fortunately the Japanese didn't search in the right direction. They determined that they couldn't submerge, radioed Australia and told them the situation. Another sub rendezvoused with them and they were supposed to scuttle the sub. Instead, the captain and a few volunteers took it all the way back, 2,000 miles to Freemantle on the surface.

I'm famous (or infamous) for saying that in a computer simulation reality is not on the menu. We make the least wrong decisions we can make in every single respect and go with it. CapnScurvy and I can go back and forth for hours on "what is reality" and never reach any kind of agreement.

I've done the same thing with Lurkerhlb about his RSRDC. Any decisions we make are wrong and we might as will smile and make peace with that dismal conclusion. The only worse thing is not to have the simulation at all, to refuse to make the decisions that make the mod.

Or, like in the case of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, we can make the core mod one way, with bad info on the recognition manual, which isn't the SAME bad info the real boats had, but put us in an analogous position to the real skippers. But my deal with CapnScurvy is that he will publish an approved plugin mod for FOTRSU that will allow players to have that perfect recognition manual with all ships accurate in the database to the inch in all respects. That way you can play the way you want and we aren't telling you what's right.

Because in a computer simulation, realism isn't on the menu.

It takes more than one hit. I have been holed multiple times in the game and gotten away. LOL sometimes I think it is too easy.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 08:59 PM   #7022
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The interplay between skill and luck is always unknown in naval gunnery. You can tell by the angle of the shot that the gun was elevated almost 45 degrees for a pretty maximal range shot there too. Which helped the sub to escape, I'm sure.

Luck and war are synonymous terms. And luck comes in the good and bad varieties with severe consequences...
The 45 degrees ... I noticed that as well those Japanese 8" could go +45 too. That or she rolled in her turn away.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-04-19, 09:01 PM   #7023
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
Thank you!
Looks like his teeth of even a utility belt in a way.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-04-19, 09:37 PM   #7024
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
That makes alot of sense thank you.

Has it happened since, either way could you please re-run the game with the same details, and see what happens?
Ran it again...same results...that graphic is still there. Also my bad on the first report..I think I said Gato previously but it was a Gar class.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 09:47 PM   #7025
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Ran it again...same results...that graphic is still there. Also my bad on the first report..I think I said Gato previously but it was a Gar class.
Please delete your SH4 or custom named sh4 folder in "Documents"

Then re-run the game... This Brit needs his bed its 02:46, I will check back tomorrow.
Old 01-05-19, 10:14 AM   #7026
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Gar leaving Pearl December 9, 1941, high periscope patrol using the Attack scope:

View from the bridge (who left that cursor there??):

View from the Observation periscope, looking aft:

You could see that coming, couldn't you?... Somehow or other, you have a portion of the periscope top or similar showing in your view Sniper450...

Edit: eh, it's not the periscope head... that's too rounded up top... can't get any of the other bridge pieces to look like that without doing strange viewing angles...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-05-19 at 10:27 AM. Reason: naw...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 11:16 AM   #7027
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Uboats...
Ohh, 101_SubEngineSounds_v2... and it's a homemade fix for the sub engine problems ? either way DSD edits should not effect textures...

Can i view this mod ?
it's the DSD files for these six subs. it's not homemade, it is the six "authorized" DSD files...just separated from the mega-mod.

i didn't feel like downloading another 2 gig just to get 13k of updates.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 11:46 AM   #7028
Sniper450
Officer

Quote:
Please delete your SH4 or custom named sh4 folder in "Documents"

Then re-run the game... This Brit needs his bed its 02:46, I will check back tomorrow.
s7rikeback it worked! Thank you! I had deleted that folder before when I was uninstalling sh4 the first time though. I also noticed something else. I selected the Gar class and when getting my sub, it said I was assigned to a pickerel class? I didn't look at the sub not that I would have been able to tell the difference anyway

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-05-19, 12:10 PM   #7029
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

I've never played this mod due to the AI's super ability. A plugin was to be released giving players the choice to dial back AI ability, but that's not been released. Has the AI been toned down at all yet?
Old 01-05-19, 12:26 PM   #7030
propbeanie

Quote:
s7rikeback it worked! Thank you! I had deleted that folder before when I was uninstalling sh4 the first time though. I also noticed something else. I selected the Gar class and when getting my sub, it said I was assigned to a pickerel class? I didn't look at the sub not that I would have been able to tell the difference anyway

Thank you for your help!
Are you getting that "Pickerel" boat now Sniper450? Surely not - not part of this mod... ?? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
I've never played this mod due to the AI's super ability. A plugin was to be released giving players the choice to dial back AI ability, but that's not been released. Has the AI been toned down at all yet?
The AI has been tweaked one way or the other with each release, as we feel our way through the darkness blindly (somewhat). You can do all sorts of testing, but it's not until a group of users actually give the mod a whirl that it's really known what certain aspects of the game are like. We have not released a mod for the user to change it yet, because we don't have it settled yet. Once that happens, a mod for lowering or raising the AI can happen. There are several "base" AI cfg files for ships, planes, and crews, and for the crew ratings on ships & planes, in several places of the game. All influence the total picture.

Old 01-05-19, 12:33 PM   #7031
Sniper450
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you getting that "Pickerel" boat now Sniper450? Surely not - not part of this mod... ?? Thanks.

The AI has been tweaked one way or the other with each release, as we feel our way through the darkness blindly (somewhat). You can do all sorts of testing, but it's not until a group of users actually give the mod a whirl that it's really known what certain aspects of the game are like. We have not released a mod for the user to change it yet, because we don't have it settled yet. Once that happens, a mod for lowering or raising the AI can happen. There are several "base" AI cfg files for ships, planes, and crews, and for the crew ratings on ships & planes, in several places of the game. All influence the total picture.
Hi Prop...the written assignment said it was a pickerel but I never could tell one from another...maybe it was just a script error and I actually got a gar?
Old 01-05-19, 12:43 PM   #7032
propbeanie

OK, you got the SS-177 USS Pickerel, of the Porpoise Class, as your assigned boat...

Old 01-05-19, 01:12 PM   #7033
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:

Thank you for your help!

Your welcome. Glad it's sorted.
Old 01-05-19, 01:14 PM   #7034
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it's the DSD files for these six subs. it's not homemade, it is the six "authorized" DSD files...just separated from the mega-mod.

i didn't feel like downloading another 2 gig just to get 13k of updates.
Ok, I been playing again, and still cannot replicate this. I will keep checking.
Has it happened since ?
If so, have you deleted your Documents/SH4 folder and tried again ?
Old 01-05-19, 02:05 PM   #7035
Sniper450
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, you got the SS-177 USS Pickerel, of the Porpoise Class, as your assigned boat...
Ah...thank you sir!