SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-24, 08:51 PM   #16
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I don't use manual but I'm going to bet you nailed it on the head.
you can use the PK with auto-targeting but remember to "un-use" it before you make your final observation and fire. shooting with PK will guarantee a miss.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 07:12 AM   #17
boonie
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you can use the PK with auto-targeting but remember to "un-use" it before you make your final observation and fire. shooting with PK will guarantee a miss.

hmm ur pk is unreliable probably coz of the malfunctioning stadimeter with fotrsu...

just did a clean install of fotrs v2 (ge), 2nd patrol, bagged fuso off brunei + 2 big merchant south of davao. all using pk. no torp missed yet lel..

some of the custom made freighter still give wrong range reading when using stadimeter in fotrs v2 though. probably because the scale of the model is bad.
boonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 07:40 AM   #18
GWB
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I have not used FotRSU, but from the screenshots, it looks like you haven't turned on the Position Keeper.

Click that button next to the Position Keeper and Torpedo Settings labels, and it will light up. Then you should see the TDC values updating.
thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately this doesn't fix the issue, it just toggles between torp settings, which toggles the display between tracking and the fish settings (run depth / spread setting).
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 09:51 AM   #19
boonie
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately this doesn't fix the issue, it just toggles between torp settings, which toggles the display between tracking and the fish settings (run depth / spread setting).

he means the round thingy beside the up-down slider that switch btwn torp and ship angle settings. once u clicked it, it glows red. in your screenie they are all in grey.. meaning u didnt click it after data input.

once u have input the range+angle on bow + speed settings on the upper right dial. click the round thingy at the lower right side of the upper left corner panel.. that will activate position keeper using the data u put in.

Last edited by boonie; 03-23-24 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-23-24, 10:19 AM   #20
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie View Post
he means the round thingy beside the up-down slider that switch btwn torp and ship angle settings. once u clicked it, it glows red. in your screenie they are all in grey.. meaning u didnt click it after data input.
Yes:
Old 03-23-24, 12:30 PM   #21
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie View Post
hmm ur pk is unreliable probably coz of the malfunctioning stadimeter with fotrsu...

just did a clean install of fotrs v2 (ge), 2nd patrol, bagged fuso off brunei + 2 big merchant south of davao. all using pk. no torp missed yet lel..

some of the custom made freighter still give wrong range reading when using stadimeter in fotrs v2 though. probably because the scale of the model is bad.
What are you using to "measure" the ship with to claim the scale of the model is bad?? If you use the RecMan, ALL of the models were painstakingly measured for mast height by DanielCoffey when he did all of the ship sil files, and that data will show in the RecMan. The figures are not very realistic in their accuracy, but people complained about the previous "fog of war" figures that were in the mod. The merchant ships were constantly altered throughout the war to change their appearance, the masts were shortened and lengthened at various times, and the funnels were also often altered, and possible bridge structure changes made, not failing to mention the "dazzle" paint schemes used. We cannot get most of that to happen in a mod. The stadimeter does not 'malfunction' in my install, and I do not have access to your computers to see what you folks have, so I cannot speak to what might be amiss with your installs and activations. You will find discrepancies between different uses of the stadimeter due to screen resolution and how accurate you are at placing the doubled image. Refer to the RecMan for ships that have altered "targeting" locations... Proper identification of the various ships is also quite important.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 01:16 PM   #22
boonie
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What are you using to "measure" the ship with to claim the scale of the model is bad?? If you use the RecMan, ALL of the models were painstakingly measured for mast height by DanielCoffey when he did all of the ship sil files, and that data will show in the RecMan. The figures are not very realistic in their accuracy, but people complained about the previous "fog of war" figures that were in the mod. The merchant ships were constantly altered throughout the war to change their appearance, the masts were shortened and lengthened at various times, and the funnels were also often altered, and possible bridge structure changes made, not failing to mention the "dazzle" paint schemes used. We cannot get most of that to happen in a mod. The stadimeter does not 'malfunction' in my install, and I do not have access to your computers to see what you folks have, so I cannot speak to what might be amiss with your installs and activations. You will find discrepancies between different uses of the stadimeter due to screen resolution and how accurate you are at placing the doubled image. Refer to the RecMan for ships that have altered "targeting" locations... Proper identification of the various ships is also quite important.

i just set the realism to have map update. then go to training mission to do manual tdc, after keying in the data and setting pk on, u can see the accuracy of your data in comparison with the real ship position in the weapons map. in fotrsu it will always come out as the data u keyed in have major flaw in distance, the keyed in data using stadimeter will always show to be much much further than where the real ship is. this error happens to all ship measured throughout the game. and due to this the tdc computer will always give higher speed prediction because the range u put in is much higher.

in fotrsu u almost always have to land the stadimeter like approximately 5-10meter higher above the real ship image in order to get a correct pk info.

oh by the way i am using 1920x1080 resolution. no other mod added.

load up fotrs v1.3 or 2.0 and u will see the stadimeter give a much more accurate range.
Old 03-23-24, 01:31 PM   #23
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Yeah I found that out also when I shot at another ship without unclicking it and the torps went into the same ship I had already hit. DOOOH. I don't ordinarily use it since the auto works fine without it.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 12:33 AM   #24
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

I have no problems using the PK so I don't know what the beef is with it. I also use Easy AOB. Good mod. And even when I don't use Easy AOB the PK works great for me. Than again I don't turn it on until I'm under 2000 yards.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 09:36 AM   #25
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I have no problems using the PK so I don't know what the beef is with it. I also use Easy AOB. Good mod. And even when I don't use Easy AOB the PK works great for me. Than again I don't turn it on until I'm under 2000 yards.
that's great but some use it as a distance-keeper-update when they are ahead of the target, submerged, and waiting. for example, you detect a convoy at 10-12,000 yds and determine its course. you select a target and turn on the PK, submerge and make your approach. the PK keeps you updated on the distance to the target. but one would need to turn off the PK and re-adjust the distance, aob, etc. and then take your shot.

does that help?

LAA enabled
Old 04-02-24, 09:51 AM   #26
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
but one would need to turn off the PK and re-adjust the distance, aob, etc. and then take your shot.
But you can adjust those while the PK is on, and the TDC keeps updating the gyro angle based on the new inputs.

I understand why you might want to turn it off while setting up a new target, but it can be done while keeping it on.
Old 04-02-24, 01:23 PM   #27
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One TDC aspect a person has to keep in mind is to hit each button twice for the range and/or speed etc... once to make certain it is selected, and a 2nd time to send the data...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 05:31 PM   #28
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
But you can adjust those while the PK is on, and the TDC keeps updating the gyro angle based on the new inputs.

I understand why you might want to turn it off while setting up a new target, but it can be done while keeping it on.
the PK does not update all of the inputs.
i've seen it in action or, should i say, bad action.

i've experienced tracking a ship from say, 10,000 yds, with the PK.
when the distance to target dial reaches my firing point and i fire, the torpedos track nowhere near the track they are supposed to follow, they track far behind the current track. this is easy to see early in the war when using Mk14's. if i react fast enough, i can return to the scope, disengage the PK, re-sight my target, lock the firing solution into the TDC/torpedo system, fire the next fish, and then i get a hit.

LAA enabled
Old 04-02-24, 05:56 PM   #29
razark
Ocean Warrior

That sounds quite wrong to how I have always used it.

Set up the TDC with your initial bearing, range, speed, and AoB (target course). Run the PK. Check the target's actual location against where the PK thinks it should be, update the data, and keep watching. Make corrections as needed. Fire when appropriate, then switch off the PK or switch to a different target and input needed data.

This method also seems more in line with what I have seen of actual usage from books.