SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-17, 01:30 PM   #4471
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPrey View Post
Ah. My apologies. S-class isn't my preferred flavor and I didn't recognize that is what CapnScurvy was working on. Carry on with the excellent work, all.

SilentPrey
The S-class and Narwhal originally had Direct Drive Diesels for surface propulsion (Narwhal's got an upgrade about 1942 to the Diesel/Electric set-up). I'll not change the Narwhal to those upgraded engines, so you'll notice no difference in its "system" compared to the S-Class.

I am working on the engines to prevent complete catastrophic breakdown on all four. I'm trying to have at least one repairable, and give you the ability to limp back to base, after an extended repair time (figuring parts will be scavenged from the other three).

Good Eye SilentPrey!!

================

A FOTRS Ultimate Welcome to Yellowfin!!

As you know, this is just a Beta. We're still updating....propbeanie has just completed work on many of the Campaign files. I'm still noodling with the operation of the Sensor's (radar/visual) just in regard to having them work when you expect them to. Once we get them "right" in that process, fine tuning of the actual parameters (max distance; elevation etc) will be next.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 03:33 PM   #4472
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Hey guys. Love the sounds in FORS. Using most of them to upgrade sounds for TMO RSRD.Hope that is okay? I found excelelnt WW 2 dive klaxon(best one ive heard) from the Pampanito website. Problem is only have the two blasts for dive and not three for surface.Trying to integrate that, the collision alarm, and the sound of TDC starting up(all from the site)

Just wondering if you guys could enlighten me on how to create and change sounds related to various keys and functions.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 03:45 PM   #4473
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin View Post
Hm... I still have the standard intro, yet JSGME says the mod is active.

Edit: ah.. classic double folder structure. Works now.
For the curious, here is the FOTRSU intro movie:

It represents some of AOTD_MadMax's best work!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 05:00 PM   #4474
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin View Post
How can I tell whether the mod is successfully installed and activated?

You'll see a Intro Screen pretty much like the one in my sig.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 08:35 PM   #4475
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290
Uploads: 0

Is .56 the updated beta still?

jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 10:43 PM   #4476
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Yes it is... We're working on parts for the next version, whatever RR numbers it...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:54 AM   #4477
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

A FOTRS Ultimate Welcome to Yellowfin!!

As you know, this is just a Beta. We're still updating....propbeanie has just completed work on many of the Campaign files. I'm still noodling with the operation of the Sensor's (radar/visual) just in regard to having them work when you expect them to. Once we get them "right" in that process, fine tuning of the actual parameters (max distance; elevation etc) will be next.
Thank you!

I'm not sure why but the following happened yesterday:

I started the FOTRSU modded SHIV to load a campaign game from the day before and everything went well until 'Find'em, chase'em, sink'em', then the game froze and I couldn't tab out or even ctrl-alt-delete (the window would open but I couldn't tab in to kill SHIV). I could however ctrl-alt-delete and sign out of Windows. That in turn mucked up steam so it un-recognized pretty much all my installed games, so I spent the better part of the evening reinstalling them. Luckily Steam recognized that most files were around and all games are up and running again, with the correct mods even. Obviously I did the same for SHIV. Unmodded the game would start and run correctly. As soon as I switched FOTRSU on in JSGME I had the same failure (freeze on 'find'em, chase'em, sink'em').

I completely removed SHIV and U-Boats, to reinstall freshly overnight. I'll give it a try today.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 08:00 AM   #4478
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin

I'm not sure why but the following happened yesterday:

I started the FOTRSU modded SHIV to load a campaign game from the day before and everything went well until 'Find'em, chase'em, sink'em', then the game froze and I couldn't tab out or even ctrl-alt-delete (the window would open but I couldn't tab in to kill SHIV). I could however ctrl-alt-delete and sign out of Windows. That in turn mucked up steam so it un-recognized pretty much all my installed games, so I spent the better part of the evening reinstalling them. Luckily Steam recognized that most files were around and all games are up and running again, with the correct mods even. Obviously I did the same for SHIV. Unmodded the game would start and run correctly. As soon as I switched FOTRSU on in JSGME I had the same failure (freeze on 'find'em, chase'em, sink'em').

I completely removed SHIV and U-Boats, to reinstall freshly overnight. I'll give it a try today.
Oh boy, you've got a Steam game?!?

In the past, I've ranted and raved about Steam and their process of getting a potential buyer to first install their "basic" SH4 game (which they don't tell you its only version 1.3; of its v1.5 patches) for 9 bucks. Then when you find out its a flawed version of the game, you have to purchase the v1.5 for another 9 dollars to bring the game up to speed!! Not to mention the way Steam puts itself onto your computer; with the purchased game in a specific "Steam" folder; that's all but certain creates issues for changing/modifying the main game (which is what you want to do if your adding a mod)!? Just a couple of years ago I purchased the last of the DVD Gold Edition versions of SH4 sold commercially for only 7.99!! Just to avoid using my "Download" account of the v1.5 game (that didn't screw with the game like Steam does). So don't get me started!!!

But, this isn't helping.

I know there's other users of Steam who will chime in on what you need to do. I'll just ask what's your computer specs?

The reason I'm asking is if you've got a Windows 10 system, there are things you'll need to do/check to make sure your system is going to preform as you expect. I suggest you should read this "[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" thread for briefing yourself on setting up the computer before installing the game, no matter if you use Steam or not.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 04-22-17, 12:48 PM   #4479
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Oh boy, you've got a Steam game?!?
[...]
I know there's other users of Steam who will chime in on what you need to do. I'll just ask what's your computer specs?
It's a fairly new gaming rig.

Windows 10, i5, Nvidia Geforce GTX970, 16 gb.

Quote:
The reason I'm asking is if you've got a Windows 10 system, there are things you'll need to do/check to make sure your system is going to preform as you expect. I suggest you should read this "[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" thread for briefing yourself on setting up the computer before installing the game, no matter if you use Steam or not.
When I first installed SHIV I have installed all native updates and the u-boat expansion. I then proceeded to install TMO2.5 according to its manual/thread on subsim, and it worked flawlessly.

A few weeks and about 10 hrs of gameplay later I downloaded FOTRSU and installed that according to the manual and switched TMO2.5 off with JSGME and switched FOTRSU on wit JSGME and it worked fine for at least two days and quite a few independent runs of SHIV. So I'm fairly confident it wasn't the installation. It stopped working probably due to some other steam problems.

Actually steam isn't a dealbreaker for modding SH games. You can basically create your own SHx distribution with whatever patch/supermod you like, it's IME a matter or tweaking and testing. I have separate installs of SH3 for GWX and LSH3, and both work fine (on the same set up).

Greetings
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 01:02 PM   #4480
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Where is your "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" installed, YellowFin? If you're in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, that is trouble. I just ran into that myself recently, and spun my wheels uselessly for the last couple of weeks... If you aren't in that folder, no prob, I don't know what your issue might be, but if you are there, refer to THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO... for help in moving the Steam install of the game, that Peter points to in post #3. That should allow the mod to fully activate - hopefully...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 08:02 AM   #4481
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin
It's a fairly new gaming rig.

Windows 10, i5, Nvidia Geforce GTX970, 16 gb.

A few weeks and about 10 hrs of gameplay later I downloaded FOTRSU and installed that according to the manual and switched TMO2.5 off with JSGME and switched FOTRSU on wit JSGME and it worked fine for at least two days and quite a few independent runs of SHIV. So I'm fairly confident it wasn't the installation. It stopped working probably due to some other steam problems.
TMO 2.5 pulls a couple of stock image files out of the stock game. Running the "Compare Snapshot" feature of JSGME will show you them after you remove TMO from your game. It's not only a good idea of checking your stock game files after removing a large modification like TMO 2.5, but any change you may make with your stock game. Putting your stock game back to original quality is always the thing to do before adding another huge modification like FOTRS Ultimate.

I don't know how you updated your computer to Win 10, or if it came as-is? My findings with Windows 10 has been there's specific features like DirectX 12 not having the files necessary to run this 10 year old game as well as it should. Or, having the correct .NetFramework version "enabled" within Windows 10 to open up the games memory access to SH4's default limit of only 2gigs of Ram, is why I directed you to this thread.

Besides just placing the game in a folder other than the Steam folders, or the three "Programs" folders that Windows wants you to default to, there are issues with Windows 10 that need to be checked before getting a mod like FOTRS Ultimate to run as expected.

Quote:
Old 04-26-17, 10:56 AM   #4482
Alstack
Swabbie

Downloads: 51
Icon14

Thanks CapnScurvy, for the continuing refreshers for those of us afflicted with reoccurring "BrainFart" syndrome. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
Old 04-26-17, 02:05 PM   #4483
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

1 error to report about the 5-inch/25cal Twin Cannons Bow and Stern (Deck Gun Mount), I only have one crew to man one of them, is this by design or have you forgotten to add the other crew members.
Both guns are on the boat which is a Balao and the time period is January 31 1945, I've never been as far into a campaign before so I'm not sure if this is a mistake on your part or its a stock game design.

Ah there is one more thing which I almost forgot about, when I had the chance to upgrade the improved SD radar I declined it as the one I already had was perfectly adequate, I noticed it was still on offer for a few patrols afterwards and then it was no longer available, is this a new game design or have I managed to outwit the game engine and have sent it up its own periscope to be lost forever in the deep digital world of SH4.

Last edited by Moonlight; 04-26-17 at 02:19 PM.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 07:30 AM   #4484
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
1 error to report about the 5-inch/25cal Twin Cannons Bow and Stern (Deck Gun Mount), I only have one crew to man one of them, is this by design or have you forgotten to add the other crew members.
Both guns are on the boat which is a Balao and the time period is January 31 1945, I've never been as far into a campaign before so I'm not sure if this is a mistake on your part or its a stock game design.

Ah there is one more thing which I almost forgot about, when I had the chance to upgrade the improved SD radar I declined it as the one I already had was perfectly adequate, I noticed it was still on offer for a few patrols afterwards and then it was no longer available, is this a new game design or have I managed to outwit the game engine and have sent it up its own periscope to be lost forever in the deep digital world of SH4.
I'll have to check that 5".25 cal Twin, there should be two crews manning both guns.....although I've found that the bow gun to only have three crewmen showing on deck. The right hand seat doesn't get filled when the default stern gun is used throughout the game. I found when the default gun is the fore gun (the game expects a default position for the DG...either fore or aft), the stern right hand crewman doesn't show up for duty! A quirk of the game! Just consider the open seat is your invitation to sit in. But, you should have both fore and aft gun sections on the Crew Management page, with four slots each.

The offer for the upgrade from the Improved SD Radar, to the SV Radar will be available for several months. You should have noticed the first "offer" cost more renown than later offers. Eventually you'll get the SV Radar as a free upgrade whether you like it or not. With the next Ultimate Beta version you'll have the option to buy back the Improved SD Radar for 100 renown if that's what you want to do.

Speaking of choices, I've been getting the ST Radar to function (that's the Surface Search Radar that's incorporated in the head of the Night/Observation Periscope). But, there's quirks with it too. It's little wonder why the stock game, or anyone else, hasn't put the ST into the game. Trying to get two sensors....the "visual" periscope, and the "radar" to work from the same platform is challenging. They aren't meant to work together. Right now I've got the radar to work when you raise the Night Scope. The issue is there's no indication of having the ST Radar "On Boat" as your above picture of the Weapons and Sensors page should show. That's a function that comes from using the ST Radar as Radar....the only way to get the ST to work as expected has been to relate it to the Night Periscope....however, there isn't a slot on the Weapons and Sensors page for the visual Periscopes?! One thing functions as expected, but another is lost. I can switch things around and have the ST function through the Radar object, yet the visual camera comes from the same perspective...in other words when you go to the Night Periscope view your looking at the backside of the Night Periscope because it's not linked to the visual scope, its linked to the radar. It doesn't raise either because of the same lack of a link. The game doesn't make it easy to change things when it limits how objects function.

=====================

Welcome Alstack to SubSim!!

Looks like you've been with us for a while, glad to hear from you. Yea, tell me about old age, I'm no spring chicken either!!

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 04-27-17 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 09:31 AM   #4485
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

That's just fine CapnScurvy as I don't normally let my crew use the deck gun or the AA guns either unlike some commanders who use there sub as if it was a cruiser and go looking for a shootout with the enemy.

This pic was taken when I had 2 CPO's on the deck gun, I let the crew have there way for once with a half destroyed tanker, its not a pretty sight or a pretty ending either, needless to say they are kicked off the boat whenever a new career is started.

That brings me to my next question, why are the gun crew so flipping useless that an half destroyed ship can inflict all this damage on my sub while my deck gun crew are busy trying to wipe out all the plankton in the pacific?.