SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-10, 01:54 PM   #1
Torpaedo
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Career Advice

Hi new player here! Finally plunged into the Silent Hunter series and purchased SH3 pretty cheap I must say from Steam. Played vanilla for a couple of patrols then decided to give GWE a go. What can I say, I really like it, much more enjoyable and helpful than the original.

Couple of things I would like to know that I couldn't find elsewhere.

1. I started my career in the 2nd flotilla, 1939. First time I was issued a Type II/A, second time VII/B. Is this random, training related or bug? Before it would cost 2,5k Renown.
  2. I noticed that my career started sometime during August before war broke out in September. How am I to progress though the game as at the moment there are no hostiles about. TC > Sept 1st? (That's a lot of time to wait out) What did the developers intend for players to do in the meantime? Am I totally forgetting something?
Any tips/advice greatly appreciated!
Torpaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 02:06 PM   #2
Kremmen
Torpedoman

Downloads: 138

1. not sure but someone will be along the answer soon
2. go and scoot around the North Sea for 5 days,look on it a short shakedown patrol.Return to base and dock then you're good to go.
OR if it's mid to late August head to your patrol grid through peaceful waters and wait on station for the fun to start.

good luck

Kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 02:07 PM   #3
Kremmen
Torpedoman

Downloads: 138

btw Welcome aboard

Kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 02:19 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpaedo
Couple of things I would like to know that I couldn't find elsewhere.

1. I started my career in the 2nd flotilla, 1939. First time I was issued a Type II/A, second time VII/B. Is this random, training related or bug? Before it would cost 2,5k Renown.
Sub types are flotilla-specific. You should get a IIA if you start out of 1st Flotilla, and a VIIB with 2nd or 7th. However, my answer to question 2 will also cover this.

Quote:
2. I noticed that my career started sometime during August before war broke out in September. How am I to progress though the game as at the moment there are no hostiles about. TC > Sept 1st? (That's a lot of time to wait out) What did the developers intend for players to do in the meantime? Am I totally forgetting something?
The reason for the August start is that 14 u-boats were sent out on August 19, and told to wait. They weren't told for what, but they got a pretty good idea when the time came.

What you need now is SH3 Commander, which is a tool that works outside of SH3 to change it into a true career simulator. One of its many functions is to allow you to control the Days In Base between patrols. I usually have it set for Random, but I just started a new career and on August 1 I went out for a brief harbor cruise and then saved the game.

This let me use Commander to adjust my crew between patrols, and I gave ratings to all my POs (no such thing as an unrated Petty Officer) and then set Days In Base for 18, allowing my next patrol to start on the 19th. I then cruised to my assigned grid and waited for the war to start.

Commander is the best thing you'll ever get for the game, supermods included. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147237
Old 07-24-10, 02:37 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Further to the above....If you select the 7th/13th Flotilla out of Konigsberg you will have the opportunity to practice your torpedo and gunnery skills on a small convoy.

When we created GWX we gave you extra renown to compensate for a negative amount the game will take from you for sinking neutrals.

On the fourth day of your patrol you will receive a radio message ordering you back to base, simply hit the Esc key and teleport back.

Apply for a transfer to the 1st or 2nd Flotilla.

Now your ready for your first serious patrol which will commence on four days plus the days in the Days in base setting you chose in SH3 Commander after 1st August ( I personally have mine set for 21 which would mean I set off on 25th August).

This is not not as historically accurate as 19th August but still plenty of time to cruise to your intended patrol grid prior to the commencement of hostilities and means less time kicking your heels waiting for hostilities to begin.

SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 04:37 PM   #6
Torpaedo
Nub

Downloads: 1

Thanks for the help all! War just started... is sept 3rd now and I already sunk two agressive trawlers.

One quick question. If I'm running low on supplies, torpedos etc can I resupply at a dock blue/green which?

Thanks
Torpaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:05 PM   #7
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

My tip:

Dang if they are gonna leave me behind in port when the fun begins...

I adjust time in port with SHCommander so I am back and well out to sea in the on the 1st of September, scouting the Kagerrak before heading for my assigned area.

..and readjust when I get back so I am back on the normal 28 day schedule.

Also works when Weserübung is afoot. For some reason the Sim seems to conspire to keep you out of that action by having you arrive too late if you stay with the normal 28 day schedule.
Old 07-24-10, 10:55 PM   #8
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

You can dock at a blue base but, it will end the patrol you are currently on. If you dock at any base other than your home base, you can not add/change equipment or change your torpedo loadout, and you will be assigned a patrol grid of NULL, which just means you can pick your own patrol grid.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 07:56 AM   #9
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

Welcome aboard

I have only GWX. At the start of a career, I like to do 2 harbor tours, simulating training and shakedowns. This allows me to pick up two specialities (machinist & mechanic) and improves crew efficiency slightly. This saves me a lot of headaches on the first war patrol.

Good hunting.
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Brag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1939, career, gwe 3, ii/a, vii/c