SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-19, 03:51 PM   #1
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Sunk!

well, my CD version of SH4 has finally sunk. It happened to me once before but somehow it was resurrected from the deep. I took my pc in for a new Samsung V-Nand SSD 970 Evo Plus NV Me M.2. Thats what it says on the box. Its very fast.

Now I have a fast pc but no SH4.

I bought the Steam version and that won't even open. It keeps telling me the game is running, and the library says so too, only it isn't. I have only just got steam open about a half hour ago, as the desktop icon refused to open, then, it did.

>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 06:09 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
well, my CD version of SH4 has finally sunk. It happened to me once before but somehow it was resurrected from the deep. I took my pc in for a new Samsung V-Nand SSD 970 Evo Plus NV Me M.2. Thats what it says on the box. Its very fast.

I bought the Steam version and that won't even open. It keeps telling me the game is running, and the library says so too, only it isn't. I have only just got steam open about a half hour ago, as the desktop icon refused to open, then, it did.

I can't help with the Steam version, but there are plenty of postings from others who have made it work, and just as many who haven't!

If all else fails, you can buy a download version of SH4 v1.5 with the Uboat missions on Amazon for $20. That has saved my game several times. Be sure to save the download to a cd in case you lose a drive and need to do it again! The v1.5 is essential if you intend to run one of the many major mods (I love FOTRSU, myself). Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 06:38 AM   #3
Red Devil
The Old Man

I dont use u boats, I am on 1.4 and have no intention of going to 1.5.

1.4 had, apart from once, worked fine on all vers of windows. I seem to recall something in properties and box ticking. But its not loaded at present so unsure.

Steam have offered me some suggestions, but need to check that out first, once reinstalled.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-12-19, 07:23 AM   #4
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I dont use u boats, I am on 1.4 and have no intention of going to 1.5.
By staying with 1.4 you're shooting yourself in the foot. Stock game is BAD, and mods improve it in so many ways that it's like playing a different game.

If I were you I would pay a few bucks for 1.5. Not for the U-boats, not for the 1.5 improvements, but for the latest mods.
Old 06-12-19, 07:52 AM   #5
Red Devil
The Old Man

does 1.5 have the pacific theatre, or just u boat
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-12-19, 08:04 AM   #6
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
does 1.5 have the pacific theatre, or just u boat
BOTH..

use the link under "quick Links" to shop at amazon.

I got the "gold" version while ago.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 11:05 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The Steam version is v1.3 or v1.5, and you can no longer apply the v1.4 update to the v1.3 file, due to Steam licensing restrictions. However, the v1.3 should still play fine, even in Windows 10. There are a few "tweaks" you need to do on the executable file though.

First of all, make certain that you installed the "DirectX v9.0c" and its associated Windows Media files. If you have to, run the Steam installer for SH4 again, and be certain that you choose those from the menu, which comes up after the user's agreement, the language choice and the path to install to (as mentioned, change that to something other than Program Files):

This is a screen grab from my disk version of v1.5 install, so the Steam v1.3 might be a little bit different, but not much. Do not bother with GameShadow, and you probably don't need that 11 year old+ version of Acrobat Reader. GameShadow shouldn't be on the Steam menu, if I remember correctly...

After you have the game installed, go into the Steam Library folder where you put the game (Steam can stay in Program Files, but the game cannot), and select the SH4.exe file. I have Steam on my Win10 laptop in a "Games" folder, such that I go to "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \SH4\", of which I had also renamed the default "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" folder to "SH4". Right-click on the executable SH4.exe, and choose "Properties" from the menu with a left-click, then "Compatibility", and click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for", then choose anything from WinXP (SP3) through Windows 7. You could also click the "Run this program as administrator", which would be influenced by how you have the UAC (User Access Control) set-up in Windows. Try it without if you want to, but you might have to come back in. While there anyway, on the "General" tab, make certain that the "Read-only" box toward the bottom of that tab is cleared.

The reason for that last, is so that you can use LAA (Large Address Aware) if you have a 64-bit version of Windows (Win10 usually is) and more than four gig of RAM. That will give the app more room to breathe. Read up on LAA in CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. For those with other Windows 64-bit OSes, it can still be used, from Vista through Win10...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 02:08 PM   #8
Red Devil
The Old Man

[QUOTE] on the executable SH4.exe, and choose "Properties" from the menu with a left-click, then "Compatibility", and click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for", then choose anything from WinXP (SP3) through Windows 7. You could also click the "Run this program as administrator", [UNQUOTE]

In the steam ver - this is becoming even weirder - after properties, there is none of the above. I am going to try and install the disk version again; I think what you are describing is in fact the disk ver.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-12-19, 02:35 PM   #9
Red Devil
The Old Man

Prop - done as you asked after installing disk ver and patch 1.4. I set it to run as admin and the DPI setting to 'override' and 'system'. Current is Win XP Sp3, still not working so going to leave it till tomorrow now, getting a headache, eye ache bum ache and tired
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-12-19, 03:43 PM   #10
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:

I'm running my OS (Win 10 64-bit) on a 970 Evo Plus and I agree it is very fast. I have a 960 Evo M2 from my last build that I never used. However I'm using it in my current build and this is where I have v1.5 of SH4 installed. If I'm reading your post correctly are you saying that the 970 Evo plus has something to do with SH4 not working? If so I think that they're are other factors which are contributing to your problem. You shouldn't have any problems running v1.4 or 1.5 on the 970 Evo. Not knowing you're computer specs makes it hard to comment on the problems you're having. But as was said above, some people have problems running SH4 under Win 10. who knows.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 04:44 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Check the DirectX v9.0c and make certain it's on your computer as mentioned above. Even though you might have DirectX v12, you still need to install DirectX v9.0c - the one with the Steam install - so that the game can do the 3D properly. It will not overwrite the newer version, only add files. The newer versions of DirectX do not have all of the library files that SH4 needs.

Also, if you aren't getting the full "Properties" dialog, then you are either hitting the ico file, or you are in an incorrect folder and hitting the shortcut instead, or you're in the Steam Library, which also has a "Properties" dialog. You want this:

and go to this:

You might also have to tweak that "Change high DPI settings" dialog... That is for my SH3, of course, and with SH4, you can choose anything between XP and Win7.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-19, 05:43 AM   #12
Red Devil
The Old Man

I have removed the steam version and been refunded. I am going to work on the cd shortly. thanks, for now, for all the tips. DX9 is auto loaded via cd. What it does not do is load adobe reader, telling me a higher ver is already loaded.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-13-19, 06:24 AM   #13
Red Devil
The Old Man

update: installed fresh SH4 after making sure no residuals left. Did the compat check and admin tick and placed shortcut on desktop.

Installed patch 1.4 only to find, for the first time, it refused, telling me sh4.exe was corrupt!
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-13-19, 10:36 AM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
What it does not do is load adobe reader, telling me a higher ver is already loaded.
That is as it should be. You should be fine.

Quote:
Installed patch 1.4 only to find, for the first time, it refused, telling me sh4.exe was corrupt!
Which disk version do you have? It's my understanding that later versions are already patched to 1.4. Trying to patch it again on top of that can cause odd messages. Try running the game without patching it and see what version the loading screen says you have.
Old 06-13-19, 01:21 PM   #15
Red Devil
The Old Man

disk ver is original. On previous machines always added 1.4.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk