SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-19, 05:43 PM   #1
JonasPersonal
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 or 5?

Which is better
JonasPersonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-19, 06:23 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

JonasPersonal! THEY R BOTH EQUAL; GET BOTH OR YOU'LL ALWAYS WONDER.... THEN U TELL US!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-19, 01:58 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasPersonal View Post
Which is better
Completely different.
Best is to try both and make your own opinion

SH5 is only Atlantic/Mediterranean theater German side, SH4 is Pacific theater US and German side, but can be also Atlantic/Mediterranean/Indian German side with OM mod...

Both needs mods to be enjoyable and accurate ...

Good fun
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-19, 11:16 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasPersonal View Post
Which is better
welcome to subsim.

SH4 and SH5 are completely different. 4 is pacific, 5 is atlantic...although SH4 has a megamod that allows you to play atlantic.
the other large difference is that SH4 is a followup app from SH3 which was wildly popular.

SH5 is point-and-click, move around the boat, you have to perform most tasks yourself. that sentence you have been all one word.
some players want to walk through the various hatches and ladders and see the boat.
others want to play a sub simulation where you command a crew and try to sink ships.

i prefer SH4. greatly.
but it is up to you.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 11:32 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

SH4 is still the best subsim on the face of the planet. I hope that changes soon.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 12:49 AM   #6
Wilko
Officer

Downloads: 30

SH4 for me, I also have SH3 installed. I own the steam version of SH5 but cant get it to run, had several tries but it always crashed at one point, tried it with the WOS but it would never work either and I gave up after the 10th attempt.

What ever you decide on, have fun.
Old 04-04-19, 02:44 AM   #7
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

It depends on whether you are interested in the Pacific or Atlantic war.
Pacific SH4, Atlantic SH5.
It depends where you post the question, if you ask in the SH3 section the great majority will tell you "SH3 is the best Sim" .. and currently I think so too
Old 04-04-19, 10:24 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
SH4 for me, I also have SH3 installed. I own the steam version of SH5 but cant get it to run, had several tries but it always crashed at one point, tried it with the WOS but it would never work either and I gave up after the 10th attempt.

What ever you decide on, have fun.
Try the newer TWoS. One thing to remember about the Steam version (well, two things) is to not install in the C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam folder, and also, that the Steam version is the latest version, so you do not need to do any converting of the executable file. Just put TWoS in, run the installer and follow directions. Version 2.2.10 was the latest, and installs without a hitch (usually).

SH4 is my favorite of SH3, 4, & 5, but I'm a U.S.of A. kind of guy, and don't like sinking my own ships in SH 3 & 5 - but TWos in SH5, and WAC in SH3 sure are pretty, and both active, like FotRSU in SH4 (as is Ralles). Get all three of them!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 02:25 PM   #9
tomandre81
Watch

Downloads: 47
Default Re:

Silent Hunter 3 is the most polished and fun in my opinion.
It balances realism, fun and immersive in one great package.
Also with the grey wolf mod it becomes even more realistic if you like that.
Sadly the graphics are a bit outdated and I struggled to get it to 1920x1080p.
I found some mods that did it, but they changed the UI interface to something I didn't like. I prefer the vanilla look of buttons and interface.

Silent Hunter 4 looks much better than Silent Hunter 3, also runs smoother and loads quicker too.
If you are into US vs Japan, this is your go to sim.

Silent Hunter 5 with the Wolves Of Steel mod is a must. It fixes most of the bugs and makes the game more realistic.
Beware though, it's a total Sub Simulator. It focuses more on realism than fun factor.
It still has some bugs that can be a bit annoying, but nothing game breaking.
If you love calculating, are very patient, and wants a realistic ww2 submarine experience on the German side, this is for you.
tomandre81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 08:46 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Tomandre81!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 07:47 AM   #11
Wilko
Officer

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Try the newer TWoS. One thing to remember about the Steam version (well, two things) is to not install in the C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam folder, and also, that the Steam version is the latest version, so you do not need to do any converting of the executable file. Just put TWoS in, run the installer and follow directions. Version 2.2.10 was the latest, and installs without a hitch (usually).

SH4 is my favorite of SH3, 4, & 5, but I'm a U.S.of A. kind of guy, and don't like sinking my own ships in SH 3 & 5 - but TWos in SH5, and WAC in SH3 sure are pretty, and both active, like FotRSU in SH4 (as is Ralles). Get all three of them!...
Gave it a try today and it crashed, So headed back to good old SH4, honestly fine with that and SH3. Waiting on UBoat to see how that is as Wolfpack wont do it as I never ever do multi. But I thank you for your advice
Old 04-05-19, 08:04 AM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ratz. Sorry it's not working for ya... You do have to jump through a few hoops to get going properly, but if you manage to muscle through, it is a lot of frustrating fun... But that's the important thing about all of this: ~FUN~ whether you do SH3, 4 or 5 (I have all three, including 3 copies of SH4), fun is the main thing.

I'm too old to ride dirt bikes anymore - my bone joints just can't take it with the arthritis, so I sit in front of the computer now for my fun, and live vicariously through Captain I.P. Overboard... Though I'm no good at shooting torpedoes at moving ships, I would have been a 'killer' submariner, if they would have given me a paint scraper and brush (don't stand still around me), but shooting torpedoes?? Not my cup of tea... But it is ~FUN~ trying - and I'm not wasting real $100,000 dollar torpedoes trying!!!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote