SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-17, 11:29 AM   #4741
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Good morning torpedobait,

S3D (short for Silent 3ditor) by skwas - is a very useful tool and will also help you with the SDL file.

One downloaded & Installed.

Navigate to your Data > Sound > sdl.file

Right click file an select open with....

Find the Silent 3ditor - your good to go.
Thanks! I just downloaded it and "attached" it to the sdl.file It opens fine, but I'm going to have to play with it a bit. Have to check above to see if 3D should be checked or not, and to make sure I'm looking at the right sound file. Thanks again.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 12:32 PM   #4742
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Regarding the issue that fitzcarraldo pointed out earlier, I've got a "fix" for our latest download (yet to be released) of Fotrs Ultimate v0.62 Beta.

This problem of the previous Officer's hat having its texture wrong has been resolved:

Our v0.62 should be released soon....we're still going over it as much as we can. But, its still a "Beta" with needed input/comments from you the players!
Great! When publish the update, I want to know how you resolve this. I spent months in this issue........

Many thanks and waiting the update!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 03:45 PM   #4743
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Great! When publish the update, I want to know how you resolve this. I spent months in this issue........

Many thanks and waiting the update!

Fitzcarraldo
The Data/Characters/MARINE.dat file had one model size for the hat. The Textures/TNormal/ images for the hat were a different size. Especially the Light Map texture. I made them the same size, a little bit better quality, it fixed the problem.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 06:10 PM   #4744
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
The Data/Characters/MARINE.dat file had one model size for the hat. The Textures/TNormal/ images for the hat were a different size. Especially the Light Map texture. I made them the same size, a little bit better quality, it fixed the problem.
Congrats....impossible for me to discover it....

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 07:30 PM   #4745
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

torpedobait, of the files you mention above, the ones that play are "stereo" files, 2-channel @ 44.1kHz, which would be CD quality. The ones that do NOT play are all mono files, single channel @ 44.1kHz. Looking in SH.SDL with Silent 3ditor, the files that don't play that I could find, are indeed ones that are set to "3D", as in this shot:

When you go into Sound Settings in the game, on the left side of the screen, where is your 3D effects level control

... on my other computer, I've had to move that all the way to the left so that I can hear the crew speak, else my 3d effects drown out their voices... Let me know where yours is set to.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 07:34 PM   #4746
propbeanie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Congrats....impossible for me to discover it....

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
Ain't he great? Who would have thought that the hat size didn't fit the sailor's head?...

Old 06-18-17, 07:28 AM   #4747
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
torpedobait, of the files you mention above, the ones that play are "stereo" files, 2-channel @ 44.1kHz, which would be CD quality. The ones that do NOT play are all mono files, single channel @ 44.1kHz. Looking in SH.SDL with Silent 3ditor, the files that don't play that I could find, are indeed ones that are set to "3D", as in this shot:

When you go into Sound Settings in the game, on the left side of the screen, where is your 3D effects level control

... on my other computer, I've had to move that all the way to the left so that I can hear the crew speak, else my 3d effects drown out their voices... Let me know where yours is set to.
Prop, On the assumption that "more is better" I've always set mine far to the right. I'll reset it left and see if that makes a difference. I will also uncheck all sounds that have a 3D box checked. Is there a way to look at the sound file to see if it is mono or stereo?

Old 06-18-17, 11:44 AM   #4748
propbeanie

I wish I knew more about their setting there... The "Is 3D" being checked is almost necessary in the game for the sound to be correct. You cannot set a "stereo" file to that, since it's already "stereo", and hence is already a "Is 3D" simulated file. You'll have a Left Right sound, but no head turning... As I mentioned, it is used to simulate you turning your head about the different locations on the boat. If you use a "stereo" file, you lose the head turning, and if you un-check the "Is 3d", you'll lose it also, and the sound will then be centered and "flat". Think of "Is 3D" being used to fake a "controlled stereo" effect. I could guess, but I don't know exactly how they do it, but it does work, for the most part. They simulate the stereo, and then turn the fields the opposite direction of how you turn your head in the game... There are VST audio plug-ins for programs that I have that do similar.

You could download Audacity Audio Editor and look at the files in it. It can be a bit of a bother to get set-up and get it fully functional the way you want it, but you should be able to open and look at files without any tweaking. Open Audacity, and do "File... Open..." and "navigate" (dontcha just ~love~ computer talk??) to the Sound folder in your game, and open the "target" file you want to look at. It should display a "wave form" of the file, which when zoomed in on, looks like "wave" lines. It's just a representation of the amplitude at each of the sample points. Anyway, a "mono" file, or single-channel file, will only have one "window" of the wave. A "stereo" file, or two-channel file, will have two of them, a Left and a Right channel. You'll also notice the sample rate listed (44.1kHz, 48kHz, etc), and the bit depth, such as "16-bit PCM" or "24-bit PCM" in various spots in the windows and also in the Properties pages. That PCM just means Pulse Code Modulated, which is the format of the Windows Wave file...

If you set Windows Explorer correctly, you can get it to display the bit-depth and the number of channels used in the file, but for some reason, Windows Update always puts that back anytime it's used... pia...

Old 06-18-17, 12:26 PM   #4749
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Still messing with sounds

Quote:
I wish I knew more about their setting there... The "Is 3D" being checked is almost necessary in the game for the sound to be correct. You cannot set a "stereo" file to that, since it's already "stereo", and hence is already a "Is 3D" simulated file. You'll have a Left Right sound, but no head turning... As I mentioned, it is used to simulate you turning your head about the different locations on the boat. If you use a "stereo" file, you lose the head turning, and if you un-check the "Is 3d", you'll lose it also, and the sound will then be centered and "flat". Think of "Is 3D" being used to fake a "controlled stereo" effect. I could guess, but I don't know exactly how they do it, but it does work, for the most part. They simulate the stereo, and then turn the fields the opposite direction of how you turn your head in the game... There are VST audio plug-ins for programs that I have that do similar.

You could download Audacity Audio Editor and look at the files in it. It can be a bit of a bother to get set-up and get it fully functional the way you want it, but you should be able to open and look at files without any tweaking. Open Audacity, and do "File... Open..." and "navigate" (dontcha just ~love~ computer talk??) to the Sound folder in your game, and open the "target" file you want to look at. It should display a "wave form" of the file, which when zoomed in on, looks like "wave" lines. It's just a representation of the amplitude at each of the sample points. Anyway, a "mono" file, or single-channel file, will only have one "window" of the wave. A "stereo" file, or two-channel file, will have two of them, a Left and a Right channel. You'll also notice the sample rate listed (44.1kHz, 48kHz, etc), and the bit depth, such as "16-bit PCM" or "24-bit PCM" in various spots in the windows and also in the Properties pages. That PCM just means Pulse Code Modulated, which is the format of the Windows Wave file...

If you set Windows Explorer correctly, you can get it to display the bit-depth and the number of channels used in the file, but for some reason, Windows Update always puts that back anytime it's used... pia...
Before I try to go that deep into it, here are a couple of findings that seem strange to the unclean:

1. The only entries I can find for periscope sounds in the SH.sdl file are in the menu group. And in fact, when I enabled those sounds it does play a periscope sound when the main game menu comes up! However, the one in the active game does not play still. Just for grins, I changed every "Is 3D" to blank - no effect that I can discern. Wherever the active game periscope sounds come from, I can't see them in the SH.sdl file.

2. There are 2 "Particle" files for what must be an ambient sea sound:
"Particles.P25_#Dust_Underwater_ext" (file name P25_#Dust_Underwater_ext.wav) and
"Particles.P25_#Dust_Underwater_int" (file name P25_#Dust_Underwater_int.wav
The int file plays sound in the editor, but the ext file does not. They appear to be identical at least from outward appearances. I guess I will have to get the application you mentioned above and look at the internals to see where they differ. Nice way to spend Fathers Day, eh?

Old 06-18-17, 12:48 PM   #4750
propbeanie

If your file list is sorted alphabetically, it's the "periscope_UpDown.wav" file that does it. If you don't have the file, that would be strange, but explain the "silence" of the periscope in your game... As for the SH.SDL file, it doesn't control all of the sounds of the game directly, so you won't find all of the listings there.

As for Int and Ext files, usually the only differences in the files are the volume level and EQ settings applied to the Ext files, so they sound muffled and farther away (usually, with the Anti-submarine net sound being very different...). Usually, the Int file will be stereo, and the Ext file will be a "set" 3D mono file, but not always. The inconsistency of file handling in the game is one of several challenges of doing mods... It also makes it look like there was quite a bit of "shooting from the hip" used during production... just sayin'...

Old 06-18-17, 02:23 PM   #4751
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default By George, I got it!

Quote:
If your file list is sorted alphabetically, it's the "periscope_UpDown.wav" file that does it. If you don't have the file, that would be strange, but explain the "silence" of the periscope in your game... As for the SH.SDL file, it doesn't control all of the sounds of the game directly, so you won't find all of the listings there.

As for Int and Ext files, usually the only differences in the files are the volume level and EQ settings applied to the Ext files, so they sound muffled and farther away (usually, with the Anti-submarine net sound being very different...). Usually, the Int file will be stereo, and the Ext file will be a "set" 3D mono file, but not always. The inconsistency of file handling in the game is one of several challenges of doing mods... It also makes it look like there was quite a bit of "shooting from the hip" used during production... just sayin'...
It turns out my system does not like to mix mono and stereo .wav files! The "int" file discussed above that played perfectly is a stereo file. The "ext" file is mono and would not play, except on RealPlayer, which is no help. As Propbeanie suggested, I downloaded the Audacity Audio editor and started messing around. Luckily I imported a stereo file first followed by the mono "ext" file. I used the software to duplicate the stereo file, deleted the duplicate entry sounds, copied the mono file sounds and pasted it to both of the now empty stereo strings, and voila! A stereo version of the mono file that plays perfectly with Windows Media. So next I did the same with the Periscope_UpDown.wav file. I learned the hard way that you must also first import any stereo file, or else you cannot create a blank one. Anyway, I created the stereo version, saved it to the Sound file on v0.61, fired up the game and Crap! No periscope sound. I took a break and realized that I had to unload the mod from JSGME and reload it with the changed Sound folder. It works! I now have my long lost Periscope sounds.

I am so grateful to you guys (esp. you, Propbeanie, and Cap'n Scurvy) for taking an interest in my little problem. You pointed me to the right path.

In return I am willing to go through the somewhat laborious effort to convert all the Mono .wav files in the Sound folder to Stereo. I may be the only one with the problem, but perhaps not, and if that will help someone in return I'm glad to do it. Just don't expect immediate results. I may be retired, but there are a lot of demands on my time - I have to plow through my email, catch up on Subsim, get my latest patrol running, walk our dogs, take a lunch break, have a little nap, and gather my strength to make it to the supper table, after which there is Jeopardy, NCIS and bed time. Busy, Busy, Busy!

Let me know.

Old 06-18-17, 03:05 PM   #4752
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I intercepted the December 11, 1941 Task Force just north of Linguyen and I noticed a few things going on. First, the two battleships, Kongos I think, were zig-zagging and looked like they were trying to avoid each other which also triggered the other vessels, a couple of heavy cruisers zig zagging to avoid each other. I viewed this from periscope depth. I also went to free camera to look at each ship and discovered that the Mogami was sitting up on the surface with the entire hull, props, rudders etc. above the surface. The Myoko was rolling rapidly from side to side in rather calm seas. None of the other vessels were rocking and rolling like the Myoko.
I was detected and underwent a depth charging by three destroyers. They all looked like they were performing normally.
After I evaded the destroyers I detected a Small Old Tanker and it too was rocking and rolling rapidly from side to side in rather calm seas.

I have pictures of the Mogami and the Myoko depicting, as best as possible from a still image, their behaviors. I didn't get a picture of the Small Old Tanker.
They all looked OK in the museum.
I'm still looking through the files Front Runner, and it looks like I'll be having two or three groups that happen to be in the same area at that particular time, but one of my "suspects" - who has since been "cleared" of this wrong-doing (wrong ships) - is routed to "drive across dry land", as shown in this capture:

This can cause what you saw. Now, cdrsubron7 and I have spent a goodly amount of time correcting this kind of stuff, so how it's there I dunno, but there was probably an old file set pulled in from before some of our earlier edits, that was used to correct a different problem, leaving this in place, but we're working on fixing things up... My current "suspect" group will have "2x GENERIC CA", so, still looking.

Old 06-18-17, 03:46 PM   #4753
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
It turns out my system does not like to mix mono and stereo .wav files! The "int" file discussed above that played perfectly is a stereo file. The "ext" file is mono and would not play, except on RealPlayer, which is no help. As Propbeanie suggested, I downloaded the Audacity Audio editor and started messing around. Luckily I imported a stereo file first followed by the mono "ext" file. I used the software to duplicate the stereo file, deleted the duplicate entry sounds, copied the mono file sounds and pasted it to both of the now empty stereo strings, and voila! A stereo version of the mono file that plays perfectly with Windows Media. So next I did the same with the Periscope_UpDown.wav file. I learned the hard way that you must also first import any stereo file, or else you cannot create a blank one. Anyway, I created the stereo version, saved it to the Sound file on v0.61, fired up the game and Crap! No periscope sound. I took a break and realized that I had to unload the mod from JSGME and reload it with the changed Sound folder. It works! I now have my long lost Periscope sounds.

I am so grateful to you guys (esp. you, Propbeanie, and Cap'n Scurvy) for taking an interest in my little problem. You pointed me to the right path.

In return I am willing to go through the somewhat laborious effort to convert all the Mono .wav files in the Sound folder to Stereo. I may be the only one with the problem, but perhaps not, and if that will help someone in return I'm glad to do it. Just don't expect immediate results. I may be retired, but there are a lot of demands on my time - I have to plow through my email, catch up on Subsim, get my latest patrol running, walk our dogs, take a lunch break, have a little nap, and gather my strength to make it to the supper table, after which there is Jeopardy, NCIS and bed time. Busy, Busy, Busy!

Let me know.
You shouldn't have to be doing that though... It's something to do with your sound card set-up. I've got Win7-64, Home (or whatever), but the "Sound" settings stuff should be the same... maybe (I've got my Control Panel set to display as a menu) - From the "Start" menu, choose the "Control Panel". If you're set up like most people, click on "Hardware & Sound", and then on "Sound". That will bring up this little jewel:

On that little window, click on your sound card "speakers", or "output" dependent upon how they're labeled (you see both ways on my computer), and that should then make the "Properties button active. Click on it, and you'll get:

Now click on that "Advanced" tab, and it'll open the actual properties that your computer is set to:

This is how I'm suspecting your computer is set. Notice it says 48kHz, DVD qualiity? If that's what it is, click on the drop-down arrow there, and scroll up one choice to the:

to where it says "CD Quality"... 44.1kHz.

If your computer ~IS~ set correctly, let us know. Whether it'd be the game or the card's "proprietary" settings (Creative), I don't know. Did changing the 3D slider in the game make any change whatsoever?

Old 06-18-17, 04:53 PM   #4754
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default What does the 3D sound slider do?

I can detect no difference no matter where the 3D sound slider is set. I have mine set all the way to the right. I also have realistic sound travel time ticked on. I've got Realtek on motherboard audio which sounds pretty good.

Every once in awhile I get a sound that sounds like sticking a playing card in a fan blade when I change stations. I think it has something to do with the diesels as it goes away if I submerge. This anomaly is NOT being reported as a FOTRSU anomaly. I've noticed it in TMO/RSRD/OTC and I can't yet say that I've noticed it in FOTRSU.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-17, 08:26 PM   #4755
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
You shouldn't have to be doing that though... It's something to do with your sound card set-up. I've got Win7-64, Home (or whatever), but the "Sound" settings stuff should be the same... maybe (I've got my Control Panel set to display as a menu) - From the "Start" menu, choose the "Control Panel". If you're set up like most people, click on "Hardware & Sound", and then on "Sound". That will bring up this little jewel:

On that little window, click on your sound card "speakers", or "output" dependent upon how they're labeled (you see both ways on my computer), and that should then make the "Properties button active. Click on it, and you'll get:

Now click on that "Advanced" tab, and it'll open the actual properties that your computer is set to:

This is how I'm suspecting your computer is set. Notice it says 48kHz, DVD qualiity? If that's what it is, click on the drop-down arrow there, and scroll up one choice to the:

to where it says "CD Quality"... 44.1kHz.

If your computer ~IS~ set correctly, let us know. Whether it'd be the game or the card's "proprietary" settings (Creative), I don't know. Did changing the 3D slider in the game make any change whatsoever?
I followed all that, changed to the 16-bit setting, and the speakers tested just fine. However, if I try to play one of the Mono sounds I get nothing.

So I'm going to continue working the process I found that works for my rig, and that is to convert the mono .wav files to stereo. When I'm done I will make those files available as a JSGME-ready download just in case someone else encounters the same. Many may not realize they are missing some sounds. It can't hurt

Oh, and moving the slider made no difference at all. Currently it is set to the default, which is about one third in from the left edge. I have tried it all the way left, and all the way right. Makes do difference in what plays or doesn't. Thanks again.