SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-16, 06:38 PM   #121
tat501
Helmsman

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi tat
No, if you are asking these 2 questions because of the ctd.

What saved game are you referring to?
Do you mean the saved game in the bunker before starting the Baltic Operation?

I assume that you followed the TWOS installation instructions correctly including updating your game to v1.2?

Will one of the single missions load without a ctd?
Peter
I installed TWOS with real navigation yesterday - played it (with Steam version) for a while (Baltic mission). Sank the two Polish destroyers and was just waiting outside Danzig. Went for my dinner, saved game etc.

Come back to play a bit later and foolishly thought "Oh I'll install TDW's patcher seen as its working with Steam anyway". Obviously a mistake. Once I patched it with this I got a CTD at 19:00 hrs on Sept 1 1939. I figured my mistake was using the patcher with the steam game. So I look around, find this thread and your instructions here. I did what you asked to the letter and got the game fired up - launched from the new copy in my directory (right click launch as administrator). Steam doesn't load up so I know I'm doing it right. I click "continue campaign". It doesn't load. Get a CTD as soon as the loading screen finishes and the black screen comes on just before you get loaded into the game.

I will try single missions and report back.

Failing that, will re-install TWOS again from scratch.

Edit;

Ok - so tried a single mission. That too crashed as soon as it loaded. I will uninstall my TWOS mods and load the stock patched 1.2 game now.

Further Edit;

Uninstalled all mods. Still crashed. Now I think it may be that the sh5.exe I patched originally was the Steam version - I'll do the patcher process again but this time use the directory as the desktop where I've got the sh5.patched.exe saved (after downloading it from the cabinet file viewer).

Further edit still;

So uninstalled all mods - patched. CTD on loading a saved game or starting a new one. Installed mod then patched game. Same result. Seems like I've broken my game now....

Full uninstall and re-install is on the cards.

Edit (again).

Ok so I'm re-installing from Steam. This will take a while so I'm going to go to sleep as it's nearly 2am here. I will then copy out the sh5.exe file from the cabinet viewer, copy it, rename it and add it to the steam sh5 folder whilst renaming the sh5.exe file there? So far so good right? I then patch the game using the generic patcher - the root file is program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\silenthunter 5 right? Not the usual one "ubisoft data" if you don't have steam version. After patching - I then install TWOS? I then play. Hopefully it works....

Last edited by tat501; 06-30-16 at 07:54 PM.
tat501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 08:14 AM   #122
tat501
Helmsman

No I'm still having a CTD at 19:00 hrs game time. Something must be scripted at that point in the game that causes it to crash. Either with the patcher or the mod.

Disabled all the patches and it still happens so I think its TWOS causing it....

Last edited by tat501; 07-01-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 02:01 PM   #123
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi tat
One important thing to remember is not to make a game save closer than 60km to any destroyed marks or near any port.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 02:30 PM   #124
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Hi tat
One important thing to remember is not to make a game save closer than 60km to any destroyed marks or near any port.
Peter
Not entirely true but it's always good idea to have some previous "clean" gamesave. Check this post too...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=4618
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 03:57 AM   #125
tat501
Helmsman

Thanks guys. With your help I have managed to get it pretty stable now. I have at least a three save game rotation going so I have a back up pretty close at hand. I know the game does some funny stuff if you're not in good deep ocean water but at the beginning of the campaign in Danzig bay its a bit difficult!

It seemed to be my radio mods causing the problem. I must have messed up the .ini file. I'd like to have a go and get it going again but I'm actually just enjoying playing for a change.

Only ctd I had so far was on a torpedo impact (was a beautiful shot as well - with my electric torpedo!) - so I lowered particle density etc and it hasn't happened again since.
Old 08-22-16, 02:28 PM   #126
Outeniqua
Mate

Downloads: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiinteistoesijoitus View Post
EDIT: I solved the cabfileviewer part by using an XP virtual machine which I often use. Now I have a non Steam sh5.exe which I will backup a thousand times . And will go on with the process...
Kindest thanks to you, for recommending a VM running XP, to run the extraction successfully! You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

MODS:

SH 3 GWX 3
SH 4 1.5 TMO 2.5
SH 5 TWOS
DW RA 1.42
Outeniqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-16, 02:41 PM   #127
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Outeniqua! after a very long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-16, 06:48 PM   #128
Greendevil303
Loader

Downloads: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I figured out how to have my app extract everything from the v1.2 exe patch for the game. This extraction yields the InstallShield setup.exe and supporting files in the folder Disk1. Since I now had access to the InstallShield files I could 'see' what they were doing (or not doing in this case!). The files showed that the installer for v1.2 is NOT checking to see if the Silent Hunter 5 folder already exists nor is it checking to see if any of the files it needs to update exist. All it cares about is whether or not the required registry entries exist. Excellent, lets exploit this vulnerability!!

Now I did the below on my computer and everything worked just like I thought it would so it should work flawlessly on those with Steam installations also.

This is for those who have the Steam version of the game!

Find your \Silent Hunter 5 folder and move it to your desktop and rename it 'Silent Hunter 5 save' (cut it so it no longer exists at it's current location but rather on your desktop). Make a copy of steam's sh5.exe and name it sh5-steam.exe. Run the official v1.2 patch from Ubicrap saying yes you want to install even though you are already at v1.2. If everything goes to plan then another Silent Hunter 5 folder should've been created where your old one existed. In there you'll find the non-steam sh5.exe Copy the non-steam sh5.exe to your 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder on your desktop. Make a copy of this new sh5.exe and name it sh5-ubi.exe. Delete the new Silent Hunter 5 folder that was created by the official 1.2 patch. Copy the 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder to where the new Silent Hunter 5 folder was and rename it back to 'Silent Hunter 5'. Run the Generic Patcher and see if you can patch the sh5.exe.

If this all works then I will have the app automate everything so you simply click one button and it does everything for you
When I run the update it fails because the game is no longer in the directory and a new folder isn't created in its place?
Greendevil303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 04:38 AM   #129
THEBERBSTER

Hi Gd
Use this updated fix.
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot > Updated Version
Peter
Old 10-11-16, 07:21 AM   #130
Greendevil303
Loader

Quote:
Thanks.
I actually tried this yesterday. In fact, I tried multiple ways to get the patcher to work (for about 8-1/2 hours) before I became incredibly frustrated and finally gave up. I can't run the viewer program because apparently I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer. I do not plan on altering my system so I can play a game, but that's just me.
If it helps I am running Windows 10 64-bit platform.
Old 10-11-16, 07:35 AM   #131
Outeniqua
Mate

Downloads: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendevil303 View Post
Thanks.
I actually tried this yesterday. In fact, I tried multiple ways to get the patcher to work (for about 8-1/2 hours) before I became incredibly frustrated and finally gave up. I can't run the viewer program because apparently I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer. I do not plan on altering my system so I can play a game, but that's just me.
If it helps I am running Windows 10 64-bit platform.
I got around this problem by setting up a virtual machine running Windows XP. Thus, you are not at risk for modifying your running system and you can safely run the software to unpack the installer and successfully extract the exe from the cab file. I can't recall if you still needed to grab mscomctl.ocx, but since it's a VM it's doesn't matter.

MODS:

SH 3 GWX 3
SH 4 1.5 TMO 2.5
SH 5 TWOS
DW RA 1.42
Outeniqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 09:50 AM   #132
THEBERBSTER

Hi GD
Code:
I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer.
Apparantly this file does not come with Windows 10.
Having said that, it is included in my Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.
It can be downloaded so as to run older applications and there are plenty of instructions including YouTube to show you how to do it.
Peter
Old 10-11-16, 10:35 AM   #133
Greendevil303
Loader

Quote:
Hi GD
Code:
I do not have an mscomctl.ocx file on my computer.
Apparantly this file does not come with Windows 10.
Having said that, it is included in my Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.
It can be downloaded so as to run older applications and there are plenty of instructions including YouTube to show you how to do it.
Peter
I have that upgrade as well and it didn't come with this file.
Old 10-11-16, 02:31 PM   #134
Greendevil303
Loader

Ok. Thanks to all here and quite a bit of tinkering ( I feel like a full-fledged computer programmer lol) I FINALLY got this thing running!!!

But I have 2 problems now:

1-Anti virus keeps kicking out the patched SH5.exe, labeling it as a Trojan.

2-Fired up game, started new career, and after loading screen the game crashes.

Any known fixes for either?
Old 10-11-16, 03:32 PM   #135
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendevil303 View Post
1-Anti virus keeps kicking out the patched SH5.exe, labeling it as a Trojan.
Most antivirus programs have an exclusion/exception section where you can put filenames.
Others will have a popup warning saying if you want to block this program from running or allow it.
I found the exceptipn section under advanced settings. I use AVG 64-bit free edition and works for both.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote