SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-17, 02:52 AM   #16
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Yes, I could create a new and real starshell flare effect.
I need to watch again."Das Boot" !
Old 02-25-17, 04:25 AM   #17
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

With this you can now make the "4th of July edition mod"
Old 02-25-17, 09:19 AM   #18
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
With this you can now make the "4th of July edition mod"
Old 02-25-17, 01:33 PM   #19
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Too bad about Northern Lights! That would be quite the immersion adder.
Animated textures and a 3D object, maybe animated , and some scripting in the campaign files could created the illusion I'd think.
Old 02-26-17, 05:23 AM   #20
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Animated textures and a 3D object, maybe animated , and some scripting in the campaign files could created the illusion I'd think.
The only problem is that the effect won't be centered on the sky, but only on a small point of the map (for example a harbour) and it's not realistic at all ! The effect has to be written in the file where is written the lightnings effect (scene.dat IIRC).
Old 02-26-17, 08:14 PM   #21
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
cool

So, what do you think about that ? Maybe I should spawn only one star at a time ?

Old 02-27-17, 07:22 AM   #22
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Nice but I really really loved the size and colors of the old one! Can you maybe reduce its particles a little so it doesn't cause crashes like you said?
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 08:41 AM   #23
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Nice but I really really loved the size and colors of the old one! Can you maybe reduce its particles a little so it doesn't cause crashes like you said?
This one ?

Old 02-27-17, 07:41 PM   #24
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I meant this one:

All of them are very nice, but this one was my favorite. When you release it, with permission I would like to use it in my WWI mod...both as a rocket effect and to add on to ammunition crates/ammo ships exploding.....it is a good stand-in for a shrapnel shell detonation/secondary explosion effect.
Old 02-28-17, 07:12 AM   #25
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
All of them are very nice, but this one was my favorite. .....it is a good stand-in for a shrapnel shell detonation/secondary explosion effect.
In fact, when I created this effect, I wanted to test some ideas I had to achieve my first goal : the "San Shiki" anti-aircraft shell explosion.

See here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229281

I think it will help me a lot to create this effect ! I'm not satisfied with my actual work on this. Do you think it would be possible to create a particle genarator with the same direction of the shell ? I tried different solutions with values on X, Y or Z, but these directions are relative to the world itself, not to the shell. This means that the direction of the generator will always be the same, wherever the shell comes from.

Quote:
When you release it, with permission I would like to use it in my WWI mod...both as a rocket effect and to add on to ammunition crates/ammo ships exploding
If you want, you can use my work of course. Just give me proper credits. About the rocket effect, what do you mean ? The explosion itself ? Because I've already created an effect for the rockets' flame and drag. I will release the mod when finished, I'm actually correcting the last imperfections/errors.

See here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228911

Wait. Rockets in WWI ?
Old 02-28-17, 08:50 AM   #26
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Wait. Rockets in WWI ?
Yep, Rockets did exist in WWI. They were mainly used to take down observation balloons.

Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 09:38 AM   #27
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delanski View Post
Yep, Rockets did exist in WWI. They were mainly used to take down observation balloons.

Okay. Not cool for the men in the balloon ...
Old 02-28-17, 09:48 AM   #28
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delanski View Post

Ahh, but at 100mph, getting that fuse lit with the Ronson lighter, that was a bit tough - and you had to lean ~way~ out there to reach it...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 05:22 PM   #29
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the permission!

FYI I meant rockets as in distress rockets.

IIRC even cargo ships had a "magazine", but unlike a warship this magazine contained firearms for the officers and a supply of distress rockets...I can imagine a deck gun shell to the superstructure starting a fire, and setting these rockets ablaze. Hence I think it's also a good 2ndary explosion effect for civilian ships to have....

When the "Volturno" burned in 1913, the fire reached her magazine touched off all her distress rockets at once, causing a HUGE fireworks-like display.. pretty amazing sight for the witnesses.

QUOTE: I think it will help me a lot to create this effect ! I'm not satisfied with my actual work on this. Do you think it would be possible to create a particle genarator with the same direction of the shell ? I tried different solutions with values on X, Y or Z, but these directions are relative to the world itself, not to the shell. This means that the direction of the generator will always be the same, wherever the shell comes from.

I have never tried this; I think better modders than me were unable to resolve the issue. I will be happy to give it a try while I do my own particle modding.

Oh, and love the photo of the Nieuport (?) Delanski - if that's what it is

Reminds me - I thought of having rocket-firing Anti Sub fighters for my WWI mod but I don't know if WWI rockets were ever ASW weapons. If they were used by maritime WWI planes I might just throw them in...