SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-17, 10:16 AM   #1
spccolts
Watch

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default How do you sink a midget sub?

I found a midget sub docked at Guam. I hit it with a torpedo and it took off running. I chased to sucker down a hit it with 3 more torpedos and it still would not sink. It submerged a few times and I even rammed it underwater. It would still not sink.

It was fun having an underwater fight but I had to withdraw because I run out of torps. Any suggestions how to kill a midget sub?
spccolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 12:38 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

They appear to be invincible... Did you try the deck gun on it?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 01:20 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon14 Minnesota' vikings', 50 yards, and a 4" gun does the trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spccolts View Post
I found a midget sub docked at Guam. I hit it with a torpedo and it took off running. I chased to sucker down a hit it with 3 more torpedos and it still would not sink. It submerged a few times and I even rammed it underwater. It would still not sink.

It was fun having an underwater fight but I had to withdraw because I run out of torps. Any suggestions how to kill a midget sub?
In strict response to your question, as asked, so that my answer will remain in this thread w/o censorship there is only one proven method: First you need a can of Spam made in Austin Minnesota, and a six-pack of Hamms from the land of Sky Blue waters....Then a crew of doughty reserve sailors from ...Minnesota, aboard a destroyer, preferably Wickes class, to put a four-inch shell < (actual gun #3 on display at St Paul, Minn.) into the conning tower... decapitating the little 'nipper' at his periscope and flooding the sub. It has been a proven method of 'Warding off the little devils in the past. The starboard side of the submarine's conning tower exhibits one shell hole, evidence of damage from Ward's #3 gun. While her depth charges were sufficient to fully lift the 46 long tons (47 t), 78 ft (24 m) submarine out of the water, they did no apparent structural damage to the submarine, which sank due to water flooding into the vessel from the shell hole.> http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/maritime/japanese-mini-subs/ http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/maritime/expeditions/midget_sub.html http://www.neatorama.com/2015/05/21/RIP-Alan-Sanford-The-Man-Who-Fired-the-First-US-Shots-of-World-War-II/
Quote:
Mr. Sanford and the other crewmen on the bow gun fired at a range of about 100 yards. He watched the round leave the barrel and barely miss the conning tower. “I thought if it had another coat of paint on the sub, it might have activated the graze fuze,” which detonates when a shell suddenly slows down, Mr. Sanford said in the park service interview. “That’s how close I think we came.”
A second gun crew on the Ward fired next, punching a four-inch hole in the starboard side of the conning tower as the destroyer steamed past the sub at a range of about 50 yards. The destroyer followed up with four depth charges. Sea water poured in through the shell hole, the submarine rolled to starboard, and sank in 1,200 feet of water, according to the captain’s report and historians.
The captain of the Ward reported the battle to his superiors via radio, but nothing came of it.
Oddly, the USS Ward was sunk by Kamikaze exactly three years to the day: DEC 7 1944 After the crew (198 survivors.) was ordered to abandon the vessel, she was finished off by gunfire from nearby USS O'Brien, whose commanding officer, LTCR William W. Outerbridge, had been in command of Ward during her action off Pearl Harbor three years before...winning the Navy Cross for his astute work.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-22-17 at 01:29 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 02:45 PM   #4
spccolts
Watch

Downloads: 34

I said I was near Guam. I would have been blasted if I had surfaced. So no, I did not use the Deck Gun.
spccolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 03:52 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Only place I ever saw midget subs was docked in harbors, I gave up trying to sink them long ago;

The type is NS_Ko_Hyoteki in the files, according to the ZON file for that sub it has an armor rating of 10, 100 hit points, so there's no logical reason I can find why it can't be destroyed. Possibly it's a lack of mass data or something, hit it with a torpedo and it imitates a ping pong ball.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:52 PM   #6
propbeanie

That's pretty good catching that like that Sniper297... Were you the one that had it hop out of the water and doing a triple back flip with an axel jump?...

Old 04-22-17, 07:36 PM   #7
Sniper297
The Old Man

Yeah, the rocket launcher effect is probably due to "Bang for your Buck". I'm using one of my mods;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4380

with the 125/125 option. So that was a Mark XIV with 25% more bang and damage radius, which will sink any destroyer with a single hit. Guess I should try the 135/175, see if that reaches orbital velocity.

Easiest way to test this is what I did, in a different SH4 folder (I have several test copies) use the mission editor and plant a midget sub at anchor near the career start location. Blast away with every weapon you got, only way to sink it is to send over a boarding party, pry the hatch open and drop in a grenade, then climb in and open the ballast tank vents to scuttle the little beast.

It MIGHT be fixable if anyone wants to bother, I just ignore them since I've never seen one underway.
Old 04-22-17, 10:12 PM   #8
propbeanie

Well, they are being worked on in FotRSU and Climb Mount Niitaka, so keep a sharp eye out for the little beasts to breach when they shoot their torps!

Probably won't be too accurate if you're moving, but if you sit still, look out.

Old 04-23-17, 04:25 PM   #9
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I actually think this extends to all AI submarines. Ran a quick series of tests of my own.

Round 1 was Permit SSN vs Midget sub, results as expected the Midget turned into a rocket and even exceeded it's own crush depth in the process.

Round 2: Permit SSN vs Permit SSN. Visual damage on the hull but no sign of sinking after several torpedoes.

Round 3: Permit SSN vs Gato. Same as above.

Round 4: Tambor vs Gato. Fired more torpedoes and even used the deck gun, all to no effect

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 05:30 PM   #10
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Problem...Solved! The cmdr_AIHumanSub controller in the sim file is what makes AI subs invulnerable. Changing it to cmdr_AIShip allows them to be killed. Still didn't physically sink the Midget sub though, remained floating as a dead platform.

Edit: You can add both controllers and it works. I added the AIShip before the AIHumanSub and it worked, still doesn't sink though...

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.

Last edited by ETR3(SS); 04-23-17 at 05:48 PM.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 06:28 PM   #11
propbeanie

Still won't sink? Zon file?

Old 04-23-17, 07:16 PM   #12
Sniper297
The Old Man

Nah, 15 armor and 100 hit points you should be able to sink it with a few rounds of 40mm AP. What I'm wondering is the "human" part of it, if it just said cmdr_AISub instead of cmdr_AIHumanSub would that make it act more like a normal target?
Old 04-24-17, 06:52 PM   #13
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I carried one back to base once....picked it up and finally got it stuck right between the con tower and deck gun

I know...just because I could

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-22, 01:54 PM   #14
SargoClass
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Looking at them in the museum it seems like they are supposed to act like aircraft or something. Every stat is the same as an aircaft except the midget subs have a slower speed. It seems like they aren't supposed to be torpedoed
SargoClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-22, 05:07 PM   #15
propbeanie

In stock and several other mods, they are unsinkable, as illustrated in Sniper297's video above.