SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-07, 11:39 AM   #166
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing
I believe you are thinking of TrackIR...

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

JCC
yep, that's it!

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 12:52 PM   #167
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

oh yeah, what a great Mod, i missed this feature in SH.
I regulary playing DW and missed the voice commands then in SHIII and IV.

Only one thing i want to ask you. Sometimes i get missinterpretations when i talk
to my wife while im playing or i was just to close on the microphon or something like that. So finally the question: Is it possible to configure something like a push to talk button and if, how could i do so?
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 03:40 PM   #168
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Yeah I've been thinking about a "push to talk" option. It would probably avoid most problems. My highly sensitive mic picks up "Pause" when I type or breath heavily, so I changed it to "pause game" and that helped. Not to mention my brother yelling "dive dive dive" every time he walks in to the room and laughing. If you tune the pronunciation sensitivity in the control panel > speech this is rarely an issue though.

I actually have some code already where I can monitor the status of a key. So I could build this in and probably will. Basically you just need the Perl script to monitor a particular key and if it's not down, throw away the recognized voice command. I don't think it would be efficient to actually start and stop the Python recognizer component with this key, as there would be some overhead to launching it and probably wouldn't respond quickly enough.

But isn't this an amusing feature? Especially when you're running on headphones so she can't hear the game?

Wife: Honey, I'll be right back, emergency at the neighbors house, you know how they are.
SH4: Back Emergency, Aye Sir!
You: Full speed ahead!
Wife: It's not that big of a deal, I'm not rushing over there. Her problems are always on the surface.
SH4: Surface the boat, aye sir!
You: Crash dive!
Wife: Don't be melodramatic. I don't think her marriage is heading for a "crash dive" like you're always saying. She just sets a small fire once in a while for attention.
SH4: Firing tube one, aye sir!
You: Dammit. Close tube one.
Wife: Secure from silence! Blow Ballast! Tube 3! Fire! Tube 4! Fire! Knuckle left! Ramming speed!
You: I want a divorce.

Of course, if your wife really loves you, she'd XO your boat lol. You would stand around in a captain's hat and your underwear and relay casually-phrased orders to her, and she would actually speak the correctly enunciated orders into the mic and confirm the setting - after all, the helmsmen generally don't react directly to the captain's order, it's all through the XO right? And it's a bit of an immersion breaker when you ask for one thing and occasionally get another or a bad recognition and have to correct it manually. The wife would shield you from all that, resulting in the perfect sim!

Let me know if any of you find a woman like that.

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 08-27-07 at 06:53 PM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 02:07 AM   #169
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77

looooool, ok its not exactly the same when i play with the voice commands.
The last comment from my wife was "first you spend more time with the Computer than with me and now you start talking to him"
For that reason, can u implement an feature where i can command my wife with voice commands? something like "silent" would help very much *g*
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:10 AM   #170
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delareon
looooool, ok its not exactly the same when i play with the voice commands.
The last comment from my wife was "first you spend more time with the Computer than with me and now you start talking to him"
For that reason, can u implement an feature where i can command my wife with voice commands? something like "silent" would help very much *g*
She calls your computer "him"? That's odd. My girlfriend would always say "it" or "that infernal *******ing machine" or "that stupid box" or "your stupid video games".
Old 08-28-07, 11:58 AM   #171
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Well, my wife doesn't seem to mind it with SH4 so far - though she does still get a little freaked when I start yelling at my computer in German for SH3

Although it'd be cool to have playable Japanese subs in SH4, I'm not sure if I could handle learning enough Japanese to make this work for that I would like to see what minsc could do to make this work with recognizing Japanese though - I bet he would have version 2.1j released before I get back from work:rotfl:
Old 08-28-07, 12:51 PM   #172
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
Well, my wife doesn't seem to mind it with SH4 so far - though she does still get a little freaked when I start yelling at my computer in German for SH3

Although it'd be cool to have playable Japanese subs in SH4, I'm not sure if I could handle learning enough Japanese to make this work for that I would like to see what minsc could do to make this work with recognizing Japanese though - I bet he would have version 2.1j released before I get back from work:rotfl:
2.1j posted

kidding
Old 08-28-07, 02:17 PM   #173
minsc_tdp
XO

So there are two issues I'd like to address and I thought I'd think out loud here and get some feedback.

1.) Memory usage out of control/crashing

This appears to be a definite issue affecting everyone without exception. The problem is the MS Speech SDK executable gets out of control after about an hour or so, and uses up a ton of memory, then stops responding which forces an sh4speech restart. I'm going to check a few more things but I don't think I can stop this from happening unless I terminate myself and restart periodically. The main program (voice.exe) doesn't have to restart, just the hear.exe part, so it would keep track of the tube status and all that, and it would restart very quickly and invisibly.

2.) JGSME Support

This is tricky since the idea of JGSME is when a mod is installed, it's active only when you run the game. So I have to link it to that somehow.

So, when sh4speech is activated with JGSME (now don't panic) I would have to rename the game exe to something else, and put my own in its place. When you launch the game with your usual shortcut, you're actually launching my exe, which would load sh4speech and then the game.

Thoughts?
Old 08-28-07, 02:39 PM   #174
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp
1.) Memory usage out of control/crashing
This behavior is experienced by some users of Shoot also. I believe it is definitely a BillySoft problem with the speech recognition engine. I think the only way around that would be to use another speech recognitiion engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp
2.) JGSME Support

This is tricky since the idea of JGSME is when a mod is installed, it's active only when you run the game. So I have to link it to that somehow.

So, when sh4speech is activated with JGSME (now don't panic) I would have to rename the game exe to something else, and put my own in its place. When you launch the game with your usual shortcut, you're actually launching my exe, which would load sh4speech and then the game.
I'm not sure I follow you here. All JSGME does is put files in the game folder. RadioStationManager and GirlInEveryPort are both JSGME installed but run perfectly fine whether the game is running or not. Having your exe also launch the game might be a cool addition since there aren't too many reasons to run the program without the game. Might cause probs though, if you had to restart the prog because of problem number 1.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 03:05 PM   #175
mountainmanUK
Sparky

Downloads: 23

With regard to the "memory overload" problem, and the need to restart sh4speech......would it be possible to add something to the programme that would automatically force a restart every 45 mins (for example)? To prevent this happening right in the middle of some major SH4 event, perhaps an automatic "Pause" could first be triggered, to allow a restart of sh4speech?

Pardon me, if I'm suggesting something which is either impossible, or stupid. I am not at all programming-minded, but merely trying to help with a (hopefully) constructive thought!
mountainmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 04:03 PM   #176
minsc_tdp
XO

mountainman, regarding the memory overload, you've got the right idea, that's exactly what I'm proposing. I've just done some experiments and determined that I can do this no problem. When I terminate the hear.exe component, the MS sapi stuff goes away with it, and it can all be restarted almost instantly, and this can all be managed from the main sh4speech program (voice.exe) and happen invisibly. So I'll probably implement this and post tonight.

digitaltrucker, regarding JGSME, I think you misunderstand a bit. I don't think any mods out there are executable. They just replace resource files in the DATA dir. In fact now that I think about it I'm not even sure JGSME will support replacing the game EXE in the root folder, but anyway, I'll figure all this out.
Old 08-28-07, 05:04 PM   #177
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmanUK
perhaps an automatic "Pause" could first be triggered, to allow a restart of sh4speech?
Ohh I didn't notice that at first - that's a really good idea... but hopefully the restart will be so fast, this won't be necessary. On my lowly work PC which is a core2 e6400 at 2.13 GHz, it takes a fraction of a second to restart. It's too fast to even measure.
Old 08-28-07, 07:24 PM   #178
GhengasCon
Swabbie

Downloads: 238

Hello Minsc!!!

First of all, wanted to congratulate you on a very fine and impressive poece of work!...I have been using the program now for a few days and am completly hooked!..It seems soooo much smoother now trying to manually target ships. I have actually been able to score a destroyer or two instead of always trying to evade them!
I to have experienced the lock up after about an hour of play. It hasn't been that big of a bother for me though. I was happy to just be playing at all after all my startup trouble. I hope everyone knows and appreciates all the personal support and patience you have provided for begginers to the modding community like myself....never a smartass answer to whatever ignorance displayed...Thank you.
Hats off to you and I look forward to any updates or new projects you decide to share!!!
Thanks again
GhengasCon
GhengasCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 11:32 PM   #179
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengasCon
never a smartass answer to whatever ignorance displayed
That's odd, in real life I'm considered to be an interminable smartass. Maybe I'm just nice on the internet, heh. Which ironically is the opposite of 99% of the rest of the internet masses that turn into total jerks once they're online and anonymous.
Old 08-29-07, 01:07 AM   #180
minsc_tdp
XO

Hot Off The Presses:
2.2 http://knepfler.com/sh4speech/sh4speech2.2.zip
New in 2.2:
Push To Talk Mode added and enabled by default (using PrintScreen key)
Long term memory leaks in sapisvr.exe fixed

I chose the PrintScreen key for a good reason. You can change the key or disable it if you want though. See the ChangeLog and new csv files/press_to_talk.csv file for more information.

For my loyal users who actually follow this monstrous thread, a little undocumented bonus is that you can hold the key right at the end of your phrase and it will still recognize it. See, instead of not hearing you at all when the key isn't pressed, it just decides at the last moment whether to throw it away, so you can do:

make your speed 15 [press and hold the key] knots ... [release key, preferably once the command is confirmed]

As long as it's being held down when the command is actually finally heard, it will be processed.

For you customizers, the only existing CSVs that were altered is key_codes.csv, with two new ones added at the top.