SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-17, 05:59 PM   #1
CDRChance
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Pulling me back in... Where to start?

Hey all,

So I played a few patrols of SHIII back when it came out, and I gave SHIV a fling when it came out. I skipped SHV because of all the bad press and because I was deployed doing the "real thing" when it came out. But I'm heading back to a boat next year and I'm feeling like doing some Target Motion Analysis to put a few fish into some targets.

I've been reviewing the subsim boards today (), and I have to admit I'm conflicted and confused. Do I go with SH 3, 4 or 5? Do I go vanilla or download a megamod? Which megamod?

I'm looking for the answer that best meets these goals:
1) A mostly stable and smooth gameplay
2) A relatively simple and easy-to-follow, one-mod-max installation
3) The ability to do manual TMA with plotting ranges and bearings. the three minute rules, and maybe even digging out some mo boards and slide rule
4) top notch graphics so my kids will watch when I put on the big screen
5) Big convoys and merchant traffic that makes sense and is fun to engage

I was leaning towards 5 with Wolves of Steel because of the graphics, but it looks like the TMA is too easy from the few you tube videos I can find, and I'm hesitant to get involved in that whole campaign/tonnage bar bug stuff.

So now I'm leaning towards 4, but I can't figure out what (if any) mods to use. I see lots of recommendations for "TMO" but they're all several years old and I can't even figure what exactly that mod does.

It sounds like I could go back to 3, too, with either GMX or Living SH3, but then I have to make yet another decision! And I feel like I'm missing out on the great graphics, event though that's not the most important thing.

So, if someone has tried all or most of these options and has a pretty good feel for which one meets my goals, please let me know. I'll appreciate it!

Chance
CDRChance is offline   Reply With Quote