SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-16, 12:06 PM   #1591
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Just my two cents on arming the merchants in the game. I would say yes also to keeping the merchants armed. just wondering if there is a way to make their shooting a little less accurate. I've read books upon books about the US Submarines in the Pacific and have never heard about one submarine being sunk by enemy merchant fire.
You're absolutely right. The intentions of such modifications, however, are also quite appropriate, since they resolve the shortcomings of the game alternatively. After the pre-war doctrine was actually also attacked almost exclusively dipped at the beginning of the war ... regards
Old 08-27-16, 12:34 PM   #1592
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Just an idea Chief?

How about rather than having all the merchants armed for bear right from day one of the war, we have a plugin that starts them off with just MGs, then introduces 20mms and 40mms and proper deck guns over the next few years of the war?

And even then - maybe have a few that do not get 4 or 5 inch guns? They just get the MGs?
And alternatively we have a few very well armed from day one?

This is my thinking - please hear me out - any please bare in mind this is meant to be an Optional Plugin - I am not trying to make it part of the core mod

My reasoning:
In the stock game - you can surface pretty much whenever you want, in early war, and deck gun the hell out of merchants. You KNOW they are not going to be armed, so it is a Zero Loss proposition

Playing TMO, or FOTRSU, you KNOW that they are all well armed up pretty much from Dec 7th 1941, so you act accordingly.
OK so you have hit something with a torpedo?
Thats OK, you know they will be armed like the fourth of July, so you do not take the risk of surfacing to finish them off

Now I know and understand why Ducimus did this - US Subs did not regularly act like destroyers.
But they did on occasion surface to finish targets off

The thing I think we are missing here is uncertainty

Let me say that again

Uncertainty

That is the key thing when it comes to playability - in my opinion

Stock - I know I can surface and duke it out
TMO - I know I cannot surface to finish that merchant, because he has more guns than the NRA

How about a third option?

I am looking through the periscope at a freighter I have just torpedoed
I can maybe see some small stuff (MGs or 20mm cannons)
Is that a 4 or 5 inch deck gun at the back? I cannot quite see properly
Do I take the chance and battle surface now? Or should I stalk a bit more and use another torpedo?

To me it is all about the uncertainty

Having merchants either completely unarmed, or very well armed, all the time, takes away the uncertainty

Please let me say again - this would be an entirely optional plugin

But I am willing to give it a go

I think a little bit of uncertainty is what makes this game so good
Wow! You are green lighted on the "Are You Feeling Lucky Today?" plugin mod. I like the idea of changing armnament as the war progresses. I like the uncertainty and the need to scope out your target thoroughly before you dare surface and engage with the deck gun.

Note that during the war, with most merchants not armed, but the few that were being very deadly compared to the submarine, sub commanders very very seldom surfaced and used the deck gun. Dealey on the Harder even said when asked "I don't care whether you mount my deck gun fore or aft so long as you put wheels on it so I can pitch it overboard."

So we seek deck gun action. They did not. At best it was the last ditch effort of someone who expected to die. Unless you were Fluckey on the Barb, in which case you were shelling shore targets.......
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 01:17 PM   #1593
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Unless you were Fluckey on the Barb, in which case you were shelling shore targets.......
Oh yeah - that guy was crazy

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 01:33 PM   #1594
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Shay folksh, I've uploaded two revised versions of files to the Google Drive, under WIP / Propbeanie Spreadsheets: 03SensorsCfgStudywRMSp11.xls and 05SimCfgStudywRMSp11.xls, which both include what Bleiente did in his Sensors Patch v1.1 for use with his Ralles Mod Soup, in order to modify TMO / RSRDC. There were no changes to the Contacts.cfg

I have not attempted to spreadsheet the Sensors_sub_US.sim (or the surface ships) files in anything yet, though there are changes in them all... Anybody want that? It'll take a while to do, but is do-able, if wanted...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 01:52 PM   #1595
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
"Are You Feeling Lucky Today?" plugin mod
I am totally stealing that for my own mod name

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 02:08 PM   #1596
propbeanie

DuYuFeelFluckey?...

Old 08-27-16, 04:30 PM   #1597
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1109
Uploads: 10

Default May I Present to you....

KMCSHansa Classes

KMCSHansaJ=Bandoeng Maru - Japan Roster

KMCSHansa=Medium Combifreighter - German Roster

All models fully working in museum - Both have JPN Sailors.
Ref - Stock build of the NCA_Deutschland for sailor guidence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zibu Classes

KMCSZinbu=Medium Old Composite Merchant - American / Australia / British / Canadian Rosters with American Sailors

KMCSZinbuJ=Zinbu Maru - Japan Roster

Last edited by s7rikeback; 08-27-16 at 05:35 PM.
s7rikeback is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 09:52 PM   #1598
propbeanie

noice mahn... but the sun's too bright here... that ain't a white flag on the Zinbu Maru, but has a red meatball on it, correct?...

Are we gonna have to do "inventory" on this thread, and gather all the data and check for completion of tasks, and check the sources of ships, etc., for proper acknowledgements (and possible permissions)?

Old 08-28-16, 07:59 AM   #1599
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Shay folksh, I've uploaded two revised versions of files to the Google Drive, under WIP / Propbeanie Spreadsheets: 03SensorsCfgStudywRMSp11.xls and 05SimCfgStudywRMSp11.xls, which both include what Bleiente did in his Sensors Patch v1.1 for use with his Ralles Mod Soup, in order to modify TMO / RSRDC. There were no changes to the Contacts.cfg

I have not attempted to spreadsheet the Sensors_sub_US.sim (or the surface ships) files in anything yet, though there are changes in them all... Anybody want that? It'll take a while to do, but is do-able, if wanted...
I say do it. What you're doing will be a great service for all mods to come from now on.

One thing that has always distinguished SH4 modding from other games is that our modding, with very few exceptions, has been non-proprietary, with all cards on the table, all tools available for other modders so that our specific operation benefits the modding community as a whole. That is why SH4 mods are JSGME compatible, no installer programs, no matter how big. Our mods are open for reverse engineering and learning from. We are NOT Electronic Arts with an empire to guard. We are members of an open source community where modders share and the player is in charge.
Old 08-28-16, 08:09 AM   #1600
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
noice mahn... but the sun's too bright here... that ain't a white flag on the Zinbu Maru, but has a red meatball on it, correct?...

Are we gonna have to do "inventory" on this thread, and gather all the data and check for completion of tasks, and check the sources of ships, etc., for proper acknowledgements (and possible permissions)?
Yes, I'm afraid so. It's very important that we give credit to everyone who contributed. I'm absolutely certain that someone will be left out, but it won't be because we didn't do our best effort.

If we have seen further than others it is because we have stood on the shoulders of giants. And we're takin' names!

We could break new ground by giving reverse Polish credit: other than the base mod, enemy AI research, campaign genius, environmental settings, and contributing TMO ships, Ducimus didn't do much for FOTRS Ultimate.
Old 08-28-16, 10:25 AM   #1601
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Question for you guys. What file or files holds the 3d model of the ships in SH4. Can I look at the 3d model of any ship using the S3d editor?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 10:26 AM   #1602
propbeanie

Quote:
... It's very important that we give credit to everyone who contributed. I'm absolutely certain that someone will be left out, but it won't be because we didn't do our best effort.

If we have seen further than others it is because we have stood on the shoulders of giants. And we're takin' names!...
I'll start on it again. I was taking notes before, in a notebook, handwritten of course, and had gotten like 20 pages in, and l lost the dad-blame notebook... oldmanitis strikes ~again~... If I didn't know better, I'd think I was old, but I'm a pup compared to the rest of you guys... tic

Anyway, I wasn't doing it on the computer, because I'm at three or four machines throughout the day, but I think I'll stick with one machine for the task at hand, and just do it... What I was doing before was going through this thread only, making a short note of the proposal, task, or whatever, who did it, any responses, and the post number, along with the page number. It was beginning to look like the minutes from a business meeting... Are you wanting anymore detail than that?

Old 08-28-16, 10:50 AM   #1603
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Question for you guys. What file or files holds the 3d model of the ships in SH4. Can I look at the 3d model of any ship using the S3d editor?
I could have sworn there was a video for this, and I do remember looking at a few ships, but for the life of me can't remember how... Try this thread, see if it's enough to jog your RAM:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=138983

or else wait for some REAL help

Old 08-28-16, 11:23 AM   #1604
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
I could have sworn there was a video for this, and I do remember looking at a few ships, but for the life of me can't remember how... Try this thread, see if it's enough to jog your RAM:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=138983

or else wait for some REAL help

Thanks, pb. This is scary. You've shown me the way.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 11:53 AM   #1605
propbeanie

Are you insinuating that the blind are leading the blind, AND finding their way?... !!!???!!?!? Sort of like one old guy helping another across the street... Then they both get hit by the bus...