SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-17, 01:01 PM   #3841
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Propbeanie (love that name!), I see this happening at least from 9/42 through my latest ongoing mission on 11/24/42. I usually delete my interim saved games after completing a patrol, so the September date is not as specific as it could have been. Hope this helps!

Just to be clear, the normal tc drops for shallow water, enemy planes, ships encountered, etc. all work just fine. The slow downs encountered when approaching within 25 miles of a Japanese coastline are what I'm seeing, even when there are no ports in the vicinity. I ran out to see after dropping an agent, trying to use max tc. The best it would do was 128x, and that was jerky, until I got farther from land. There were no ports near the drop point, so it wasn't the expected "jerkiness" you get when the game is building a harbor, etc. It was the inability to run at more than 128x. Once getting about 20 miles from shore, the tc max increased to 1024x, and after 25 miles it was like releasing a brake. TC max was back to 8192 (if I wanted to use it, which I don't usually anywhere near a combat zone).

You get the same effect when leaving a US port, including Midway, where the max tc available is around 1024x until passing about 25 miles from there. I understand that is more than reasonable, giving the complex structures built for ports, and the boat needs to clear away from there so the game no longer has to build all those graphics. However, near the Japanese shores, including Okinawa in my recent experience, the tc max drops dramatically once inside 25 miles from any coastline, whether there is a port or not. Perhaps its the land detail? I could cut back on the level of detail in the graphics settings, I suppose, but I've never had to do that until these public releases of FOTARS.
Just for curiosity's sake torpedobait, what boat are you driving?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 03:30 PM   #3842
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just to add to torpedobait, I see the same TC drops especially when entering/leaving a a US base. TC of 128 is the max ans is still choppy. Also, get the "radar" announcement even if the boat has no surface radar or if it's turned off. Like wise when SD antenae is not up. The "radar" announcement is from the circling aircraft. Only clears up about 25nm from the base.
I've noticed this .52 and .53. Doesn't seem to matter which boat, as I've usded Gars, Porpoise, Gato and Balao.
Old 02-13-17, 04:14 PM   #3843
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

We've been kicking around the idea of eliminating the CAP aircraft around US bases since we can't turn off the air radar.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 04:46 PM   #3844
propbeanie

Over half of the cap has been eliminated, especially around Pearl where it's down to about 1/4 of what it was. Midway has also been modified, as has Dutch Harbor, but only down about 50% each. The Australian area has not been touched. The only boats that don't have the "radar" issue is the "S" boats, before you add SD to them. The SD is always active, fake antennae up or not. The airplanes are probably the biggest hog of resources, but as an example, here's a shot of Kyoshu:

Those are just a glimpse of the RGG in the area. Each of those little ports might have 12-15 docked vessels, in addition to 2-4 patrol vessels. This is most of the layers in the area, but I might have missed one or two... Not showing in this is the CoastalBatteries and AirStrips, which add even more... This is the main issue near land, whether friendly or enemy. There is a LOT going on. Granted, the game doesn't draw those groups until you're within 20-30km, but it still tracks all this. You might be looking at about 10% of the game here... maybe. This is actually ~LESS~ than stock, since we've been editing it...

Old 02-13-17, 07:50 PM   #3845
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

For those who have expressed an interest in this thread:

SH4CMS v1.5 is hereby released! Some goodies I've added:

• It can now make or fix an Op Monsun installation
  • It can make or fix a We Dive at Dawn installation
  • It makes or fixes a custom ModTest installation
  • It can now repair your original Wolves of the Pacific directory, since many players use that exclusively
  • I have substituted MultiSH4 v1.5 for the old version formerly used.

Enjoy everyone and thank you for all the great suggestions!

Since the development of SH4CMS came about to address problems brought by FOTRSU research, and FOTRSU is such a monsrous mod that mod soup is almost a foregone conclusion, SC4CMS will be incorporated into the FOTRSU installation routines and will be automatically installed along with FOTRSU.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-14-17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-17, 08:53 AM   #3846
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Just for curiosity's sake torpedobait, what boat are you driving?
USS Balao (SS-285). But it happens regardless of the boat. One other thing, and I noticed this in TMO also, which may or may not be coincidental. On this last patrol, I had phenomenal luck, running into a number of small convoys or single ships of great tonnage (European liners, Whale Factory ships, and a large modern tanker. I do use auto targeting, but even with dud torpedos (several duds and at least one circular) I amassed slightly over 100,000 tons on this one patrol! As the tonnage scored reaches that number, the available TC drops considerably. The best I could manage without the game stuttering was 1024x, and after finding and sinking a modern composite freighter of modest tonnage with the deck gun, the max usable TC was 524x, which makes for a long and tedious crossing from the East edge of the Philippine Sea to Pearl Harbor. But as I said, I also noticed this slow down with a high tonnage score in TMO. I wonder what it is carrying in the software or files that could have this effect? Very strange.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 09:00 AM   #3847
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Over half of the cap has been eliminated, especially around Pearl where it's down to about 1/4 of what it was. Midway has also been modified, as has Dutch Harbor, but only down about 50% each. The Australian area has not been touched. The only boats that don't have the "radar" issue is the "S" boats, before you add SD to them. The SD is always active, fake antennae up or not. The airplanes are probably the biggest hog of resources, but as an example, here's a shot of Kyoshu:

Those are just a glimpse of the RGG in the area. Each of those little ports might have 12-15 docked vessels, in addition to 2-4 patrol vessels. This is most of the layers in the area, but I might have missed one or two... Not showing in this is the CoastalBatteries and AirStrips, which add even more... This is the main issue near land, whether friendly or enemy. There is a LOT going on. Granted, the game doesn't draw those groups until you're within 20-30km, but it still tracks all this. You might be looking at about 10% of the game here... maybe. This is actually ~LESS~ than stock, since we've been editing it...
Wow! I can see where this could tax any system. I think mine is pretty good, having been updated and refurbished by Falcon Northwest just a couple of years ago, and it should be able to handle all this, but it doesn't. I've tried turning off everything else that could run, including a number of processes and services, and short of turning off the internet access and Norton I don't know what else to do.

Old 02-14-17, 12:25 PM   #3848
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
USS Balao (SS-285). But it happens regardless of the boat. One other thing, and I noticed this in TMO also, which may or may not be coincidental. On this last patrol, I had phenomenal luck, running into a number of small convoys or single ships of great tonnage (European liners, Whale Factory ships, and a large modern tanker. I do use auto targeting, but even with dud torpedos (several duds and at least one circular) I amassed slightly over 100,000 tons on this one patrol! As the tonnage scored reaches that number, the available TC drops considerably. The best I could manage without the game stuttering was 1024x, and after finding and sinking a modern composite freighter of modest tonnage with the deck gun, the max usable TC was 524x, which makes for a long and tedious crossing from the East edge of the Philippine Sea to Pearl Harbor. But as I said, I also noticed this slow down with a high tonnage score in TMO. I wonder what it is carrying in the software or files that could have this effect? Very strange.
Stock game does that also. As the Save File grows, the game slows. The further into a Career you go, the bigger the file, the slower the game. However, I haven't noticed that on my quad-core, though I had mostly been doing GFO the last few years, until the FotRSU project came along. That 100,000 ton patrol you had, that was FotRSU? Do you remember the dates of your patrol, and what was your home port? Do you happen to have an approximate "count" of the number of vessels you sank? If you go into the Headquarter's Office and look at the log, are all the ships sunk listed there? You're like cdrsubron7, running into all that traffic...

Old 02-14-17, 03:49 PM   #3849
propbeanie

We've been discussing the weird spawn that Larrywb57 had experience of, which is really not too unusual - for Fall of the Rising Sun, Ultimate Edition, anyway. You may remember some of these shots, the first two are from s7rikeback at Brisbane:

tail to tail and fire - these are two different sets of two each... the two above are the same class.

Notice that these two vessels are not of the same class? There were two separate RGG set to spawn next to each other at the quay, and the one was not set to be a "Docked" ship, probably by accident. Our thinking was that it "drifted" into the second ships spawn "space". I had always been under the impression that a 2nd ship could not spawn into another. However...

At Pearl Harbor, December 8th, 1941, in a new career, I encountered this:

This has been posted before, but this is a spawn on top of a spawn. No 'bout adoubt it...

The evidence, and cause of the fire:

Here's another way similar can happen, in the same round leaving Pearl, with an inbound ship coming into Pearl Harbor:

Notice the fire from the above shots?... The small inbound merchant is turning toward Battleship Row in order to "miss" a little corvette putt-putting around just off-screen to the right. Since he can't manuever this way, the vessel backs up, basically coming from whence it came, only not as accurately (why'd they program the backing this way??).

As the merchant backs, he now trespasses on the Sub Tenders charges and their space. Notice the subs are already "deflecting" from the Merchant's backing into them, but no smoke, no fire, just lots of creaking and crashing noises...

By the time the vessel is finished backing up, it has "merged" into the dock, and pushed the 3 subs into the dock also. Notice two of their conning towers above the merchant in the dock. The third sub in in the merchants superstructure... Something similar to either of these scenarios may have happened. Notice that there are no explosions or fire in this case? They will blow up and explode, burning in a blaze, if either of the vessels attempt to extricate themselves, since then the "collision detection" kicks in, and "damage" is incurred... "What thuh?" is all I can ask...

I have no idea how many of the ships in FotRSU, or stock or any other mods that might have this issue, where when backing up, they have no idea that they are colliding with something. Why do the vessels being backed into not have their collision detection set off? These and many more questions have been asked by others besides us... Just be sure to keep posting when you guys encounter stuff like this, and we'll try to minimize the potential for its occurrence...

Old 02-15-17, 10:03 AM   #3850
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Many more repeated Yes Sirs

I've become used to the three repeated "Yes Sir" messages but on my patrol (Gato)from Midway at position 171 42'E - 20 10'N, Aug 14 '42 around 05:50 base time, after radar contact with that pesky Aux Toro Maru cruiser (at 171 35'E - 20 04'N) I received a continuing stream of "Yes Sir" for maybe 10 or more seconds after a command I issued (can't remember that command). This was a one time event which did not happen again.
Old 02-15-17, 10:38 AM   #3851
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
I've become used to the three repeated "Yes Sir" messages but on my patrol (Gato)from Midway at position 171 42'E - 20 10'N, Aug 14 '42 around 05:50 base time, after radar contact with that pesky Aux Toro Maru cruiser (at 171 35'E - 20 04'N) I received a continuing stream of "Yes Sir" for maybe 10 or more seconds after a command I issued (can't remember that command). This was a one time event which did not happen again.
The repeated "Yes Sir" was eliminated from 27 different voice phrases....mainly the SO files (Senior Officer) commands. If you heard a repeated "Yes Sir" coming from say the Radar/Sonar man....that's a whole different set of "Yes Sirs"!! Another 40 or so!

I could spend another 24 hours fixing the whole lot of them.

Without you giving me a better description of what command you gave...from what particular crewman you heard the "Yes Sir" from....I'd just be spinning my wheels on fixing the stock game with little to show for it. Frankly, I don't see where I'm getting a paycheck for this (I'll go look again around the shrubs under my mailbox)......to "patch" the whole stock game.

To go over your issue, you state "I've become used to the three repeated "Yes Sir" messages......" What are you talking about? If your playing the FOTRS Ultimate v0.53 (without any other mods) you shouldn't be getting used to hearing many repeats at all. So what commands are you giving to hear a repeat "Yes Sir"?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 11:26 AM   #3852
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

[QUOTE=CapnScurvy;2466273
I could spend another 24 hours fixing the whole lot of them.
So what commands are you giving to hear a repeat "Yes Sir"?[/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't want you to do that, so, I'm still playing and I'll make sure I recall the command and get back to you.
Old 02-15-17, 11:28 AM   #3853
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Well I wouldn't want you to do that, so, I'm still playing and I'll make sure I recall the command and get back to you.
Some of these boats have a darned annoying echo. All those hard surfaces and no carpeting you know.....
Old 02-15-17, 01:27 PM   #3854
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Ok, that would help.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 08:17 PM   #3855
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I get multiple "yes sirs" from the "fire at will" command, and when changing depth commands (can't remember who is acknowledging the order).