Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default "Johnny B Goode" - Chuck Berry.

Old 12-19-17, 10:01 AM   #2282
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It's amazing Rockstar, what was once called "Pschodelic Rock", and what it is today...

The guitar player dude here looks familiar...

This guy is a Replacement:

Not very "cheerful"... but good for the DJ to take a break on...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
Old 12-19-17, 11:17 AM   #2283
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
Reminds me of french fries and ketchup
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 12-19-17, 11:43 AM   #2284
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-19-17, 01:12 PM   #2285
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Saw them live november this year, in Cologne. Even this vid cannot transfer how they play live. Saga had a story being told and developed through the years, hidden in 'chapters' in some of their songs, of an alien race trying to save mankind from self destruction. This was the absolute cult band of astronomers and physicists during my studying days We saw them first live in Goettingen, in the 1980ies.

This is halfway good quality, from 2012. Play it LOUD (edit or better not, the microphone seems to be overcharged at times )

Made some clips with the mobile (Huwaei P10 with its two different Leica cameras), sound and video is astonishing but nothing to be compared with a professional recording of course. Will try to upload a sequence the next days..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 12-19-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 03:49 PM   #2286
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-19-17, 06:00 PM   #2287
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

This guy is a Replacement:

Actually, The Yardbirds had two notable replacements after Clapton decided The Yardbirds had strayed too far away from their Blues/R&B roots; for a very brief period of time both replacements played together in The Yardbirds:

The posting by eisenwurst of Chuck Berry's Johnnie B Goode reminded me of a YT post I found about a couple of weeks ago. Now that Chuck is gone and, before him, Bo Diddley, the only one left of the Big 3 originators of R&R is Little Richard aka The Right Reverend Richard Penniman. I hadn't heard or seen anything about him for quite some time, so I did a quick look-up and found Richard has found religion (again);

Richard has had an on-again-off-again relationship with his religion, even though he is an actual ordained minister. Torn between faith and his desire to perform, he has wavered; once, he actually threw a very large amount of very expensive jewelry into a river during one of his returns to the pulpit...

I only saw him perform once, in the early to mid 70s, but he put on a spectacular show. While he was living in LA, and during one of his religious periods, he would have his limousine drive up and down Hollywood Blvd. or the Sunset Strip and have it stop when he saw some of the street kids congregating along the sidewalk; he would get out and minister to the kids, giving them tracts and directing them to various social service groups for assistance; he even would help them out with a few bucks, if they were really in desperate need...

I did see him up close once. There is a fast food place restaurant, an El Pollo Loco (Mexican style flame broiled chicken entrees) around the corner from my home. I went there a couple of decades ago and observed a stretch limousine in the parking lot adjacent, not an unusual sight in Hollywood. When I went in, there was a large gaggle of people at the order counter and, from their dress, I figured they were the people with the limousine. I got in line behind them, with my back to the door. A young couple walked by me and suddenly stopped, right next to me, looking towards the door, with very surprised looks on their faces. I turned around to see what they were looking at, and there, standing inconspicuously and very quietly and shyly in the corner, was Little Richard. The young couple ran up to him and he very graciously and humbly greeted them and listened to them gush over him; he signed autographs for them, spoke with them for a couple of minutes and then handed them a couple of religious tracts, wishing them a "God Bless You" as they left. He then returned to just standing quietly in the corner. I was so amazed, I continued to look at him and he caught my eye, smiled and said "God Bless You", quietly; I smiled back, gave him a nod of the head and turned back towards the order line. The limo was his and he had come to the restaurant to get meals for his company. I saw him again afterwards, occasionally, when he would be doing his ministry on the Hollywood streets, then he suddenly disappeared again..

Bo, Chuck, and Richard basically invented R&R: Bo gave it its beat and swagger; Chuck gave it words, wit, and melody; Richard gave it panache, showmanship and raucous joy. It is safe to say, without Little Richard, there would have been no Jimi Hendrix or Prince or any number of other stars; he even gave The Beatles their harmonized "Wooo" (not to mention McCartney's R&R vocal style), a debt fully acknowledged by the Fab Four...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 12-19-17 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 06:57 PM   #2288
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Reminds me of french fries and ketchup :up ( Mr Quatro )

There is a fast food place restaurant, an El Pollo Loco (Mexican style flame broiled chicken entrees) ( Vienna )

All these food quotes are making me hungry

"Junk Food Junkie" - Larry Groce.

Old 12-20-17, 06:09 AM   #2289
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-20-17, 02:58 PM   #2290
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
... Bo, Chuck, and Richard basically invented R&R: Bo gave it its beat and swagger; Chuck gave it words, wit, and melody; Richard gave it panache, showmanship and raucous joy. It is safe to say, without Little Richard, there would have been no Jimi Hendrix or Prince or any number of other stars; he even gave The Beatles their harmonized "Wooo" (not to mention McCartney's R&R vocal style), a debt fully acknowledged by the Fab Four...
There might not have been an Elvis without Little Richard, or Carl Perkins...

for me, that "Long Tall Sally" is the epitome of a rock and roll song. It's what JCF modeled his Travelin' Band from

which, of course, was not his first Little Richard copy:

eventually "modernizing" the sound

Why do so many of the youtube posters feel the need to play with and "improve" the audio?... sheesh. Betwee, that and all the commercials, I'm about done with them... but they are convenient when you can find decent clips...

Old 12-20-17, 04:04 PM   #2291
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Default Tis the season to be jolly, sooooooooo.....

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - I'm Gonna Bring A Watermelon To My Gal Tonight

Old 12-20-17, 06:12 PM   #2292
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There might not have been an Elvis without Little Richard, or Carl Perkins...
Truer words...

I have a CD autographed by Carl Perkins. I always felt he was dealt a short hand by the fates, yet Carl seemed to take it all with grace and humility. For those not familiar with Carl Perkins, he was a member of the famed Sun Records catalog of recording artists including Perkins, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and many more pioneers of Rock, Country, and Blues. Carl wrote and first recorded the song Blue Suede Shoes, a composition more frequently and mistakenly associated with Elvis. Carl was on a path to being a true big name star, but a severe accident sidelined him and Elvis was the one who rose instead:

Quote:

Carl Lee Perkins (April 9, 1932 – January 19, 1998) was an American singer-songwriter who recorded most notably at the Sun Studio, in Memphis, Tennessee, beginning in 1954. His best-known song is "Blue Suede Shoes".

According to Charlie Daniels, "Carl Perkins' songs personified the rockabilly era, and Carl Perkins' sound personifies the rockabilly sound more so than anybody involved in it, because he never changed." Perkins's songs were recorded by artists (and friends) as influential as Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Johnny Cash, which further established his place in the history of popular music. Paul McCartney claimed that "if there were no Carl Perkins, there would be no Beatles."

Called "the King of Rockabilly", he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Rockabilly Hall of Fame, the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, and the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. He also received a Grammy Hall of Fame Award.

Quote:

After playing a show in Norfolk, Virginia, on March 21, 1956, the Perkins Brothers Band headed to New York City for a March 24 appearance on NBC-TV's Perry Como Show. Shortly before sunrise on March 22, on Route 13 between Dover and Woodside, Delaware, Stuart Pinkham (also known as Richard Stuart and Poor Richard) assumed duties as driver. After hitting the back of a pickup truck, their car went into a ditch containing about a foot of water, and Perkins was left lying face down in the water. Drummer Holland rolled Perkins over, saving him from drowning. He had sustained three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a severe concussion, a broken collar bone, and lacerations all over his body in the crash. Perkins remained unconscious for an entire day. The driver of the pickup truck, Thomas Phillips, a 40-year-old farmer, died when he was thrown into the steering wheel. Jay Perkins had a fractured neck and severe internal injuries; he never fully recovered and died in 1958.

On March 23, Bill Black, Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana, the members of Elvis's band, visited Perkins on their way to New York to appear with Presley the next day. Fontana recalled Perkins saying, "Of all the people, I looked up and there you guys are. You looked like a bunch of angels coming to see me." Black told him, "Hey man, Elvis sends his love", and lit a cigarette for him, even though the patient in the next bed was in an oxygen tent. A week later, Perkins was given a telegram from Presley (which had arrived on March 23), wishing him a speedy recovery.

Sam Philips had planned to surprise Perkins with a gold record on The Perry Como Show. "Blue Suede Shoes" had sold more than 500,000 copies by March 22. Now, while Perkins recuperated from his injuries, "Blue Suede Shoes" reached number 1 on regional pop, R&B, and country charts. It also reached number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and country charts. Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" was number one on the pop and country charts at that time, but "Blue Suede Shoes" did better than "Heartbreak" on the R&B charts. By mid-April, more than one million copies of "Blue Suede Shoes" had been sold.

On April 3, while still recuperating in Jackson, Perkins watched Presley perform "Blue Suede Shoes" on his first appearance on The Milton Berle Show, which was his third performance of the song on national television. He also made references to it twice during an appearance on The Steve Allen Show. Although his version became more famous than Perkins's, it reached only as high as number 20 on the Billboard pop chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_P...#Road_accident

<O>
Old 12-20-17, 06:25 PM   #2293
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime

Orkestra Obsolete - Blue Monday

The California Feetwarmers - Weary Blues
Old 12-21-17, 09:19 AM   #2294
propbeanie

Very nice Weary Blues!
My 15 yo plays banjo, and has been in the process of picking up that Mungo Jerry banjo part... Maybe he'll make a new video of it!

Old 12-21-17, 11:26 AM   #2295
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Closed Thread

Tags
music