SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-15, 02:44 PM   #16
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Also there's a persistent problem with the bearing circles on the nav map where the scale is offset a degree and a half or so from our sub's track, I think to the right. I noticed, Colonel, that you commented on that during the video and how frustrating it is. You corrected to put zero on the bearing circle on your course. I always use the set course function and let the gauge show what it shows. Doesn't seem to matter much what you do.

I think Captain Scurvy worked on the orientation of the bearing circles and may have fixed them.
Mine's fixed. It's not captain scurvy's though. Way back when, there was no bearing plotter that was scaled correctly for 1080p that I could find. The one that came with TMO was a 3,000 yard bearing plotter that was off as described and scaled incorrectly at my native screen res. So I ended correcting the scale and orientation. This made the texture too big for the engine, so I had to chop it down to 2,000 yards. Dunno who made the original or even what version of TMO it came from anymore.

I've got a lot of little tweaks like that where I have fixed things that annoyed me over the years. As another example, my dog went nuts every time the bosun's whistle sounded so I edited it out of the sound effects. Recently, I got completely sick of the hour hand on the watch interfering with stopwatch functionality so I modified the watch into a pure stopwatch. The way I see it, there's an actual clock in the bottom right corner of the screen, I don't need two.

Come to think of it, I should probably release that stopwatch as a small mod soon.
Old 08-27-15, 06:45 PM   #17
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398

A stop watch rather than a pocket watch would be better. Looking forward to your mod for that.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 07:18 PM   #18
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
Recently, I got completely sick of the hour hand on the watch interfering with stopwatch functionality so I modified the watch into a pure stopwatch.
I did that as well. I found it much nicer to use without the extra hands getting in the way.
Old 08-27-15, 08:33 PM   #19
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
A stop watch rather than a pocket watch would be better. Looking forward to your mod for that.
Done. See: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=2340100
Old 08-29-15, 10:05 PM   #20
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0

rockin robins said,

What good is linear distance per degree when we don't know the range?

well, to an amature like you....not much! funny how you said 80/10 or the contant bearing method is irrelevant, when, the 10 segment movie of 80/10 that I made is still at u-tube, and there was only one person that watched all ten segs...and that was you, wasn't it rock?

that's what I meant when at the end of my post, I asked, how good of a sonar operator was someone.

did the TFCM whine like you when it presented the methods, or maybe you think the wwll captains whined like that, I didn't bother reading anymore than one sentence from your post, as you have a habit of leading the community astray, give me your address rock, ill send you some cheese to go along with that whine.

I don't have time right now, but I will be showing in the tread how to find out or approximate ranges by listening.

but as far as this method ( speed when abeam) I already have kills with it, and I'm not talking about kills after I could see, no, sorry, I got speed before I saw it, then went to my attack position and killed.

don't tell me this or the 80/10 doesn't work, I know it will never work for you amature, and whats more, I put out , from the TFCM, what was proven then, and still works in the game. these are TFCM methods, not mine.

as far as sun tsu, saying hes irrelevant rock, well you might as well say that Hannibal or alexander or Clausewitz is also irrevelent to, right? but I got news for you amature, they are all still taught at war colleges.
tell me genius, what has changed in war other than weapons, and new tactics to go along with new weapons, besides that, what has changed? I can tell u that the tactics sun tsu used, was used in desert storm, and by Rommel and by many others, try Normandy and midway
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Last edited by greyrider; 08-29-15 at 10:52 PM.
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 10:58 PM   #21
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
well, to an amature like you...

ill send you some cheese to go along with that whine.

I know it will never work for you amature
Discussion, debate, and even argument are fine. Insults are not, and will not be tolerated. Please discuss things in a respectful manner, make your case and prove your points, but leave the childish name-calling out of it.
Old 08-29-15, 11:23 PM   #22
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Discussion, debate, and even argument are fine. Insults are not, and will not be tolerated. Please discuss things in a respectful manner, make your case and prove your points, but leave the childish name-calling out of it.

Where were you in the 80/10 thread?
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 08-30-15 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Edited for language
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 12:14 AM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default reported

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 03:01 AM   #24
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Wow dude. That thread was 5 years ago. Time to let go.
Old 08-30-15, 01:51 PM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
did the TFCM whine like you when it presented the methods, or maybe you think the wwll captains whined like that, I didn't bother reading anymore than one sentence from your post, as you have a habit of leading the community astray, give me your address rock, ill send you some cheese to go along with that whine.
Greyrider, as every reader knows except you, I am not whining, I am telling the simple truth. Your method isn't a method. It can't be learned. I am properly advising people that I have read thoroughly everything you've written and shown in your videos and found that they do not constitute instruction. You see I'm not afraid to read what you have to say because I know the truth. There are some who WILL not understand and they avoid reading the opinions of others. Between you and I, which is which?

Note that when telling the truth you don't have to call someone names. You don't have to insult them. You don't have to characterize their advice as whining. Because with the truth on my side those are completely unnecessary.

Have fun in the brig. I'll slip you a nail file in with a loaf of bread. You can probably saw through the bars in a couple of years.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 02:05 PM   #26
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Actually I have no problem with being called an amateur, although I do have a problem with his spelling. An amateur is someone who does something out of love of doing that activity. That's not what he meant but I embrace the true meaning of the term.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 02:37 AM   #27
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9

I think we must introduce the term "Briggadier" ...

Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 02:48 AM   #28
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

And I think you should be made head Briggadier for the lame pun . In solitary confinement, no one can hear you pun...