SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-15, 09:14 PM   #1
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3
Default Tutorial Video: Advanced Convoy Attack With Manual Targeting

This tutorial covers the advanced techniques used to simultaneously attack multiple targets in a convoy using manual targeting. It is intended for players of intermediate to advanced skill level. I have assumed that you already know and thoroughly understand the basics of plotting targets and using the TDC.

There is also supplemental videos that go into even more depth in the post below. Check post #3 for downloadable charts and information meant to assist you!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 09-17-15 at 01:21 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 07:17 PM   #2
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Supplemental Videos:

Note that all videos assume that you have seen and understand the concepts introduced in the previous video.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 09-17-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 07:19 PM   #3
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

My Reference Materials Archive:
This archive contains various useful tools (charts, tables, diagrams, etc) designed to aid in planning an attack, and some training missions.

Get it Here

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 12-08-15 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 07:53 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's an impressive screenshot, one of the nicest I've seen.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 09:08 PM   #5
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Yeah, I like it. But then I admit that I'm biased .
Old 08-27-15, 06:46 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

And an equally impressive video. It perfectly illustrates my distinction between bragging and instruction. A brag video, which often poses as a tutorial, basically says "I can do this and you can't. Watch and be humbled." And usually the brag videos are about half-baked ideas where the author has cheated to set himself up with a "canned shot" so he can look good--a 4000 yard shot at a sampan or something equally nonsensical. He pulls it off, quotes Confucius for effect and signs off. Their videos are short on explanation, long on chest thumping.

Then there's yours. First you trot out the concept that it's going to be complicated but you'll take enough time to explain everything, better get a cup of coffee. You're not kidding. Then you proceed to dissect every thought process, including possible improvisation, that comes with PLANNING the attack. And you do it in real time, no cuts, you show the pacing, you show the missteps, you show the corrections, you could care less about effect because your goal is UNDERSTANDING.

So you take an hour. Big deal. The concepts are clear. The theory is carefully and thoroughly explained. When a player sees the video, so long as he understands basic stadimeter and constant bearing TDC technique, he can execute the attack flawlessly.

This is the first video in eight years to show clearly how to derive the timing for nearly simultaneous BOOMS. It's a tutorial on how to make effective tutorials where the focus is on making the student a success, not brag about superior abilities. However, you have a superior ability: how to teach.

I'd be honored if you'd allow me to link your video in the first post of the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread.

Are your lookup tables on Excel spreadsheets? It would be great if you could upload those and link them here and I'll also link them on Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks. Those guys would be perfect for the Subsim download section.
Old 08-27-15, 09:38 AM   #7
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work here

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 03:15 PM   #8
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Sure, go ahead and link me. I would prefer it if you linked the thread instead of the video directly though. There will be at least one further video, delving into even more depth, theory, and practical information, along with a couple of practice missions and reference material (the requested charts). This thread is meant to tie it all together.
Old 08-28-15, 04:14 AM   #9
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Excellent work Colonel!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 10:37 PM   #10
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

I'm working on the editing for video 2 right now, and put up an interim version of my charts in post #3 above for anybody that wants to get their hands on an early copy.

Subjects in video #2
Preplanning an attack during the end around
Firing envelopes
Attacking with the bow tubes and stern tubes simultaneously
Some other stuff
Old 09-01-15, 08:53 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
Sure, go ahead and link me. I would prefer it if you linked the thread instead of the video directly though. There will be at least one further video, delving into even more depth, theory, and practical information, along with a couple of practice missions and reference material (the requested charts). This thread is meant to tie it all together.
Consider it done. Yes, there is always more information in a thread than a single video. If anybody asks me what they should do to make a tutorial that is sufficient unto itself to teach others to be successful with their technique, this is where I send them. I wonder who (ahem!) could benefit most?
Old 09-01-15, 03:58 PM   #12
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

So you know how they say that the best way to learn something is to teach it? Well, I figured out I was kinda talking out of my backside on a big subject matter. I was nearly right for the wrong reasons and now I need to refilm a big chunk of video....
Old 09-02-15, 10:41 AM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSandersLite View Post
So you know how they say that the best way to learn something is to teach it? Well, I figured out I was kinda talking out of my backside on a big subject matter. I was nearly right for the wrong reasons and now I need to refilm a big chunk of video....
Been there, done that. I was writing something for a radio control forum, trying to explain why a three-channel plane banks with rudder (the same way as with ailerons!).

So here I am explaining how a rudder banks a plane and while making a cool vector analysis chart with Inkscape I realize I have it totally wrong. The primary effect of rudder deflection is to bank the plane AWAY from the intended direction of the turn. Then it was "Oh, crap! Now, why does the plane actually bank the correct direction?" and I was off to a much better explanation of what happens.

That's happened with Silent Hunter 4 videos and tutorials too. It's a great experience if you can swallow self-inflicted humiliation well. Ketchup helps.

Thanks for what you do, ColonelSandersLite. This is a better place because you're here.
Old 09-03-15, 03:59 AM   #14
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

The first supplemental video is now up (see post 2). I realized that one of my problems in making the aborted video above was that I was trying to cram too much into one video. So I have rethought my approach and decided that the supplements will be more focused.
Old 09-03-15, 04:07 AM   #15
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Thanks for what you do, ColonelSandersLite. This is a better place because you're here.
No problem.