SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-17, 03:59 PM   #4156
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

They used dark green alright.

========

Propbeanie, I know you've been going through the Campaign missions, have you noticed that when you run the Mission Editor, under the "Mission" menu there's the "Validate Mission" heading. This will usually show you errors when objects are too close together. I couldn't help to notice the other day that the US_NavalBases.mis file is full of ships that are too close together. I don't remember if the same is true for aircraft (or if the Validate Mission even looks at aircraft) but, don't you think when the game warns you there's problems....there may be problems when the game runs the mission?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-10-17 at 05:16 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 06:41 PM   #4157
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Quick question for the team

Looking through all the screenies of our IJN units (thanks Subron and Strikeback), I have noticed a few of the new units sporting a green paintjob
(Seems to be on Carriers and Battleships)

I was planning on doing the IJN in mixtures of greys and grey dazzles

However if we have any evidence that the IJN also used green I will add these in also

Just deciding in advance how I am going to tackle this

What does everyone think?
Ooh ooh ooh yeah!!! I was told previously that those greens are actually rather accurate - a "horizon" camo... I had found a camo site the other day that had quite a few of the Japanese warships on it, but I haven't a clue what the link is anymore. I wonder if cdrsubron7 or keltos01 have it??...

Edit: and there, cdrsubron7 has it...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 06:49 PM   #4158
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Three positive replies in a few hours - I will take that as a yes

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 06:56 PM   #4159
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
They used dark green alright.

========

Propbeanie, I know you've been going through the Campaign missions, have you noticed that when you run the Mission Editor, under the "Mission" menu there's the "Validate Mission" heading. This will usually show you errors when objects are too close together. I couldn't help to notice the other day that the US_NavalBases.mis file is full of ships that are too close together. I don't remember if the same is true for aircraft (or if the Validate Mission even looks at aircraft) but, don't you think when the game warns you there's problems....there may be problems when the game runs the mission?
Well, according to a highly placed older modder (and we all know we can trust those "older" modders - tic ), the "close", but next to each other with a docked ship does not matter. You will get a warning - but ~not~ an error, but so long as that "DeleteOnLastWaypoint=false" and the "DockedShip=true" are set, it matters little. All you have to do is go back in and make sure that they aren't so close together as to be screaching and-a squalling with the "ship collision" sound, which can be a bother. You might also notice a similar number of "No Waypoint Set" messages, though there aren't as many of those as there used to be... This is mostly around Pearl Harbor, but there are a few other locations like that. As for the airplanes, the "minimum" distance apart in a group shows to be 300 meters, so if I make a group, I set them to 301. They are spread out quite a bit like that. Some of the groups in the Stock and FotRS original versions are "hand-crafted", and have not been "arranged". While airplanes in real life can do the Blue Angels maneuvers and not have a problem usually, in SH4 (and the others), I'm sure there is a collision detection at play that probably does influence their sometimes rather erratic behavior. As you found with that B24, just putting it 50 meters higher made all the difference. I've also found that increasing the speed on some of them helps them fly better, even if you are on the "high" end of their "spec" scale... My plan - "plan" I say - is to go in and get that Jap_HarborTraffic layer "set" a pinch more, then try another "split" to where it's like all the other files 41a, 42a, 42b, etc., and get rid of all the multiple spawns of vessels that park. That is what that "merged" spawn at Truk on the previous page is. That spawns and is "DockedShip=True". If it drifts, which it apparently did, then when the time comes to spawn another, it does, and there you have the weird "merge". So eliminate those, and then maybe by the time mid-44 hits, we won't have 24 of these, 38 of those, and 112 of them kinds of boats sittin' around, clogging the harbors and the computer's resources... Then, I wanna do the US_HarborTraffic layer...

Old 03-10-17, 07:03 PM   #4160
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Three positive replies in a few hours - I will take that as a yes
Max-Peck

Hell yes... Get on it mate...

Just hit davy jones locker... no batteries or CO2 left as I was exploring Truk..
Shore batteries were brutal.

========
Propbeanie

There is deffinatley a sound issue of sorts as you approach Truk...

[1943] from the south east, and roar nearly sent me to an early grave..

[1941] from the west this time, the roar made me jump, even though i was waiting for it...

Last edited by s7rikeback; 03-11-17 at 03:57 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 08:43 PM   #4161
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Propbeanie, have you ever looked at the planes flying during the Museum run?

Maybe you should look at their route first, it's in the Data/Museum/Museum.mis file. Planes take a northern route, fly for several miles, turn west, then south, then east looping to their starting point again. This route is followed by all planes (a similar route is for ships), the game is hard coded to change planes when the next/previous button is pressed.

If you follow the plane long enough you'll see its 90 degree "turn". It will usually falter, dip lower than its usual flight, make a herky jerky turn then level out to fly the next leg. This is a plane flying all by itself...no other planes around it. Personally, I don't think the planes have the same "avoidance" mechanism as the ships do.

My point is, when I've seen a group of planes flying around Pearl, their flying in formation, the only problem is this formation is singular, every plane for itself. If one jukes while the other jives, their both going down. The stock game doesn't have plane "formations" in it...that's a modders idea of reality. The problem is, the planes will crash if their flying close to each other, set to fly in a "modded" formation, and a turn is made. Just a point to be understood when players see planes falling out of the sky for no apparent reason.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-10-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 12:50 AM   #4162
propbeanie

I have watched the planes in the Museum, but usually not that long... So, in other words Capn, when we see these over-90 "zig-zag" routes, and especially the routes where a person was tired of putting in waypoints, and there's only three of them for a loop (obtuse triangle??), we can just about guarantee several plane crashes... There are some routes where the turns are on the order of 30 degrees then two 75 degree turns to get back to #1 waypoint and start all over again...

Old 03-11-17, 12:52 AM   #4163
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Propbeanie

There is deffinatley a sound issue of sorts as you approach Truk...

[1943] from the south east, and oar nearly sent me to an early grave..

[1941] from the west this time, the roar made me jump, even though i was waiting for it...
It worries me that you were getting that audio... like a jet plane taking off, or "buzzing" your location? Here, I thought it was from the file mis-match in the terrain of the mod I was noodling with... I wonder if it's like the sounds of the sub when you reload a save, only this is the mines blowing up nearby from vessels routed into the minefields... See your PM. I wonder if it's that... I hope so anyway. I don't really want to get into another audio glitch issue...

Old 03-11-17, 03:43 AM   #4164
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It worries me that you were getting that audio... like a jet plane taking off, or "buzzing" your location? Here, I thought it was from the file mis-match in the terrain of the mod I was noodling with... I wonder if it's like the sounds of the sub when you reload a save, only this is the mines blowing up nearby from vessels routed into the minefields... See your PM. I wonder if it's that... I hope so anyway. I don't really want to get into another audio glitch issue...
Yes, propbeanie, it's like a rocket engine starting up on top of the sub.

I'm off to London for the day today - Daughters birthday celebration.
I will get back to Truk this evening and see what happens...

Just had a brain fart - in my SH3 days - this noise was prevelent in the later stages of me playing this game - hence me leaving SH3.

Later on, i tracked it down to the Sh3.sdl of the mod i was using - i had to use the Sh3.sdl from Aces to solve this problem as it had fixes for the various mods i was using.
Old 03-11-17, 07:11 AM   #4165
propbeanie

Another shtinking audio issue, you say?... When you get back from birthday celebrations - and be sure and tell your daughter "Happy Birthday!" for all of us here - but when you get back, we need all the details of the differences between the sdl files, if you can find them... or just point us to the mods involve creating the noise.

Old 03-11-17, 08:37 AM   #4166
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I get that (startling) roar occasionally too. Unfortunately I never noted when or where. That's not much help to you except to know that it is not confined to one machine or setup.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 08:48 AM   #4167
propbeanie

I had assumed it was caused from crossing one map segment boundary to the next, since I had installed the Carotio Truk Harbor mod, and that's when it started, but apparently not. I just didn't get the circumstances correct my first try.

So now we have another audio issue, like a jet plane roar, coming in for a strafe run, that we know occurs at least on both East and West sides of Truk, but we'd like to have the usual info, if any of you encounter it also. Date, Time, Location, Circumstances, if at all possible. It might also prove useful to know your Home Port and boat that you're on, and if there's any other mods...

Old 03-11-17, 09:57 AM   #4168
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
I have watched the planes in the Museum, but usually not that long... So, in other words Capn, when we see these over-90 "zig-zag" routes, and especially the routes where a person was tired of putting in waypoints, and there's only three of them for a loop (obtuse triangle??), we can just about guarantee several plane crashes... There are some routes where the turns are on the order of 30 degrees then two 75 degree turns to get back to #1 waypoint and start all over again...
Yes I think so. If a plane does a 90 degree turn and falters as it does in the Museum, I would think any turn greater than 90 would really get the planes pantys into a bunch. Especially if there's planes flying in close formations. Any sharp turn, maybe any turn at all, might be trouble to a formation flight of planes.

Ships can have this same issue, when the "avoidance" mechanisms kick in due to close formations of convoys. But I'd think planes are especially vulnerable due to their speed, and what I believe their lack of avoidance of others, except for land.

Quote:
Old 03-11-17, 10:39 AM   #4169
propbeanie

While I'm looking through all the harbors and shallows of the SH4 world in search of beached vessels, I'll also look at all the plane routes. My "TrukFix" already has about one third of the Layers in it, so what a few more files?...

Old 03-11-17, 04:24 PM   #4170
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
While I'm looking through all the harbors and shallows of the SH4 world in search of beached vessels, I'll also look at all the plane routes. My "TrukFix" already has about one third of the Layers in it, so what a few more files?...
Update:

Left Midway at 8th December 1941
Sub class = Porpoise
patrol = Arrived at Truk 16th December.
Conditions = Very heavy storms.

No other problems found.