SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-08, 01:34 AM   #16
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Why are you still at XP, Reece? :hmm:
Because he's smart!

Only other option is Linux until Windows 7 comes out.

-S
Old 10-19-08, 06:05 AM   #17
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:
Why are you still at XP, Reece? :hmm:
Because he's smart!

Only other option is Linux until Windows 7 comes out.

-S
I'm sorry but I beg the differ!

I used to think Vista sucked, but since I installed Vista 64 Ultimate on my machine, it's impressing me everyday. Everything works, everygame works, nothing crashes, it's bloody fast, didn't get any error on windows or any software so far, didn't get any virus after 4 months of downloading the hell of internet crap, and I don't have any anti-virus. Vista just blocks any threat all by itself. Didn't have to install any drivers, Vista does it all alone. Once I plug something new, it goes in the internet and install the most recent driver without even asking me. I can't complain about anything.

Of course that I've only used the 64 bit version, so I can't speak for the 32 bit.
Old 10-19-08, 06:22 AM   #18
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Sorry Philipp but at the moment I agree with Subman1, 2 friends of mine here locally tried hard to make the switch to Vista, one trying to impress me, both have gone back to XP, also the cost to purchase is disgusting, there is an old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it", maybe after another patch or as Subman1 pointed out, version 7, I might give a thought to spending the money and upgrading, but for now Vista is a resource hog and runs no better, looks nice though! That's my 2 cents!
Thanks for the Comments Wildhawke.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 11:44 AM   #19
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I'm sorry but I beg the differ!

I used to think Vista sucked, but since I installed Vista 64 Ultimate on my machine, it's impressing me everyday. Everything works, everygame works, nothing crashes, it's bloody fast, didn't get any error on windows or any software so far, didn't get any virus after 4 months of downloading the hell of internet crap, and I don't have any anti-virus. Vista just blocks any threat all by itself. Didn't have to install any drivers, Vista does it all alone. Once I plug something new, it goes in the internet and install the most recent driver without even asking me. I can't complain about anything.

Of course that I've only used the 64 bit version, so I can't speak for the 32 bit.
What did you do to screw up your XP? I leave mine running for a month or two at a time with no problems.

I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning for 64 bit Vista too. The only reason to go to 64 bit in XP is to get access to more memory for the system, but in Vista 32 bit, there is not a maximum memory limitation, only an artificial one where they will assign a maximum of 3.12GB per application to maintain compatibility. They fixed it you might say.

So now it is not even clear if one should move to 64 bit Vista since there are a ton of driver issues, and many freeware apps (such as those that make virtual host adapters or install software print drivers for example) will never be able to run on it due to Microsoft not allowing any un-tested driver on the system as a way to create more revenue and to make sure you don't circumvent their DRM. Nice huh? If it's not WHQL certified, no dice.

Last is speed. You take a 20% hit in performance, even worse in 64-bit by the way since it has to translate all your apps to 32 bit, just for using Vista. 64 bit apps - no speed diff either for the 2 that exist. oh neat!

And did I mention the DRM? Sneeze at your system and it will lock you out of it.

So what is it that you really got there? An overbloated XP is what you really have. XP does everything quicker with less overhead.

I guess you can say you have glass, but if you really like Aero, you can add that to XP too - people have ported it.

DirectX 10? I can't tell the difference in the pixel shaders. Can you? The only thing I saw is the reduced performance.

I downgraded my laptop from Vista Ultimate back to XP Pro (the only machine in the house that was running it - everything else is either Linux or XP Pro/MCE2005). Done with Vista. The only thing I could find that was useful on Vista is that it could format and add a master boot record to a USB flash drive. Since my USB key is bootable now, I no longer have a need for Vista. I get it free, and I don't even want it when its free.

I could go on, but you get the idea that I have not been impressed by anything Vista has to offer, let alone all the support i had to deal with on it for things not working right. You may never get into that, but lets just say its slightly broken under the hood in my opinion. I only deal with servers now anyway though, so good riddance.

-S
Old 10-19-08, 12:35 PM   #20
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
I don't have the Hubble at my beck and call at the moment!!
:rotfl:

You don't?? Well then you won't mind if I use it to spot the new soon to be released 67 ton merchants.

"Only if I can save first..."
Hanomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 05:55 PM   #21
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Hows this, instructions to installing SH3 on Vista:

Quote:
1. Unistall Silent Hunter III
2. Delete the residual Silent Hunter III installation folder and all contents
3. Delete (or at least rename) your “MyDocuments\SH3” save game folder
4. Delete the “C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pr ogram Files\SilentHunterIII”
folder and all its contents, if it exists.
5. Reinstall Silent Hunter III. The GWX Team recommends you install it outside of the “\Program
Files” folder
6. Right-click the 1.4b patch “.exe” file and select “Run as administrator”
7. Install the patch
8. Verify you installed the patch correctly by running the game.
9. If the game fails to run, download and install the StarForce Vista update from the StarForce
developers’ site: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip.
10. You can now run optional tools like SH3 Commander, JSGME, SH3Gen, etc. provided you run
them as an “Administrator” after you have installed them.
For some reason XP looks really good!!:rotfl:

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 05:57 PM   #22
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Well, for starters, I can compile a video in 2 minutes in vista 64, and the same video takes me 15 minutes in xp.

I can compress and decompress 5gb of information in less then one minute with vista 64, and with xp it takes around 7 minutes.

Some games already uses the performance of the 64 bits, and let me tell you, they look bloody fantastic. The amount of new stuff you can have in games due to 64 bit processing is substantially increased.

Besides, my 5.1 audio doesn't work with xp.

But yeah, it does consume more resources then xp. If you want your computer for basic stuff, such as internet and text editor, xp is a lot better.

Problem is that I have 4gb of ram, plus 512mb video, so If I had xp, I would have around 3gb of ram.

The cruel and undeniable truth is that vista is the future, everybody will have to upgrade one day. I prefer to get used to the new software rather sooner then later.

But hey, that just me.

Old 10-19-08, 06:00 PM   #23
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Hows this, instructions to installing SH3 on Vista:

Quote:
1. Unistall Silent Hunter III
2. Delete the residual Silent Hunter III installation folder and all contents
3. Delete (or at least rename) your “MyDocuments\SH3” save game folder
4. Delete the “C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pr ogram Files\SilentHunterIII”
folder and all its contents, if it exists.
5. Reinstall Silent Hunter III. The GWX Team recommends you install it outside of the “\Program
Files” folder
6. Right-click the 1.4b patch “.exe” file and select “Run as administrator”
7. Install the patch
8. Verify you installed the patch correctly by running the game.
9. If the game fails to run, download and install the StarForce Vista update from the StarForce
developers’ site: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip.
10. You can now run optional tools like SH3 Commander, JSGME, SH3Gen, etc. provided you run
them as an “Administrator” after you have installed them.
For some reason XP looks really good!!:rotfl:
I didn't have any problems with installing/running sh3. All of my games I just installed thinking that vista and xp were the same thing when it comes to software. No game refused to run or to install, and to be honest, no game crashed so far, while a lot of games crashed when I had vista.

But then again, I always had a separated partition for games, so it might be the solution.
Old 10-19-08, 06:06 PM   #24
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

I used to say the hell about Vista before I tried it.

I used to say: "I will never install that piece of sh!t. XP is hundreds of times better, faster and don't have all that gay visual, I'm sticking with it!"

But after I got the new computer, I had to install vista, otherwise I would lose 1gb of ram and my sound card wouldn't work with it. I was pissed of, but I didn't have any alternatives. So I went ahead and installed vista. And I was ready to be disappointed.

So I put the dvd on the drive to install the operational system and went to the kitchen to prepare some food. When I got back, my computer was on the desktop, already connected to the internet.

I kept staring at the screen like this for half a minute, trying to understand. All my hardware installed, my internet installed and conected, beautiful desktop wallpaper, the whole shabang!

Since then, I'm in love with vista. There's absolutly NOTHING I could complain about, and absolutly NO REASON for me to think XP is better, I have no reason to go back.

But then again, I used to say the hell about vista back then...
Old 10-19-08, 06:07 PM   #25
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

By the way...

Vista 32 bits SUCKS!

Sucks badly!
Old 10-19-08, 08:33 PM   #26
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
By the way...

Vista 32 bits SUCKS!

Sucks badly!
BTW, were your above comparisons between Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit?

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 10:19 AM   #27
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Quote:
By the way...

Vista 32 bits SUCKS!

Sucks badly!
BTW, were your above comparisons between Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit?
XP 64 bits is the worst operational system ever built.

And yeah, I know what you mean, my bad...

Old 10-20-08, 10:53 AM   #28
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
XP 64 bits is the worst operational system ever built.

And yeah, I know what you mean, my bad...

I was just checking to make sure I knew what was being compared to what. I've yet to try XP 64 bit, my 32 bit is doing just fine by me. I didn't know either if there was much of a performance difference between the two.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote