SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-14, 11:04 PM   #1
enjoi
Sailor man

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default I'm having withdrawals, recommend me a mod

Ok, here's the deal. I've been playing SH3 with GWX since like January, I have been running on a macbook pro with win7 x64 on bootcamp. Once I started playing my purchased copy I began experiencing a bug where my saves would crash the game. I tried everything under the Sun to fix this problem. Once I thought I had finally fixed the issue just recently the problem returned and now the game would keep crashing halfway through a patrol! Everytime! So after losing my patience I said to hell with it and just removed the game and mods from my machine. I just couldn't take it anymore, spending hours on a patrol just to have it all crash.

Now, a week later without GWX I'm having serious withdrawals. I've tried War aces of the Pacific and that game was just too cartoonish. Someone please recommend me another mega mod that resembles the realism of GWX without all the damn bugs. Thanks!!!!!!

Edited Per Walleye's advice

Last edited by enjoi; 08-17-14 at 04:34 AM.
enjoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 07:34 AM   #2
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
Ok, here's the deal. I've been playing SH3 with GWX since like January, I have been running on a macbook pro with win7 x64 on bootcamp. I began experiencing a bug where my saves would crash the game. I tried everything under the Sun to fix this problem. Once I thought I had finally fixed the issue just recently the problem returned and now the game would keep crashing halfway through a patrol! Everytime! So after losing my patience I said to hell with it and just removed the game and mods from my machine. I just couldn't take it anymore, spending hours on a patrol just to have it all crash.

Now, a week later without GWX I'm having serious withdrawals. I've tried War aces of the Pacific and that game was just too cartoonish. Someone please recommend me another mega mod that resemles the realism of GWX without all the damn bugs. Thanks!!!!!!
First, you might want to delete the third sentence of your post. It puts you squarely in violation of SubSim's policy on software piracy: "We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing." They do enforce this.

Second, if you take a look around this forum, you will find that many people play GWX3.0. From their posts, you will see that GWX performs well and is pretty much bug-free. GWX3.0 has an excellent reputation for stability. From my own experience and that of many, many others, I can assure you that the problem you have experienced is not inherent in GWX.

But you have had a problem, and that problem is a fairly common one. Again, take a look around this forum and you will find that CTDs when loading a saved game are a common complaint. Occasionally this problem can be caused by a faulty mod. But usually it is due to actions by the user and is preventable. The GWX manual has a discussion of some of these causes, beginning on page 13. It's definitely recommended reading. Note that all the causes discussed there are inherent to SH3 itself, and will be experienced with any mod you care to install.

Some of the problems are due to poor software hygiene. Activating or deactivating any mods while on patrol can cause instability which will show up (not necessarily immediately) as CTDs on reload of a save. Saving over the top of a previous save (using the same name for a save without first deleting the old save) will cause CTDs on reload.

But all of these things are independent of the mods you have active. In fact, the issue of saved games failing to reload is endemic to the entire SH3,4,5 series, and is just as likely to afflict you when playing rockstock SH3. But if you follow "a few simple rules" , you can count on reliability and enjoy the game. DO read and heed the discussion of "Known Silent Hunter III Issues and Workarounds" in the GWX3.0 manual, all 5 pages (!) of it. It will save you grief whether you play GWX, rockstock, or any other supermod.

Now to answer the question you posed: GWX3.0 is preferred by a majority of SH3 players, but two other popular supermods are LSH3, and my favorite, NYGM. NYGM is generally agreed to be the most historically accurate in terms of gameplay and results. "NYGM doesn't have the best graphics, but it gives you a nice, accurate death." LSH3 and GWX both have more eyecandy and curb appeal, and the difference between these two is a matter of personal taste, although GWX is by far the most popular. It also has the largest number of compatible add-on mods made for it, so you can pretty much make it exactly what you want.

Since you already have a clean install, you are ready to load whatever supermod you choose. But don't reject GWX because you believe it caused your CTDs. It didn't.

Good luck and good hunting.

And do get rid of that third sentence before the "cops" come to call!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 07:52 AM   #3
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Once I started playing my purchased copy I began experiencing a bug where my saves would crash the game.
This is a common issue. I personally suspect it is a problem with loading too much information on load - the software is running out of memory or something.

The rule of thumb for SH3 saving is this:
Don't save while submerged.
Don't save within render range of other ships.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 09:11 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
This is a common issue. I personally suspect it is a problem with loading too much information on load - the software is running out of memory or something.

The rule of thumb for SH3 saving is this:
Don't save while submerged.
Don't save within render range of other ships.

Steve
Yes, I know the visual effect that you are referring to. But I have never seen a suggestion that the CTDs were reduced or eliminated by using a more capable machine. The problem doesn't seen to be associated with processor, memory, GPU or OS. And I have gotten the same visual effect by accidentally omitting key parameters in the menu_1024_768.ini file, and even by not having an active sound card. It might be a "stack overflow" in the reloading routine, but why didn't they fix it when they used the same code for SH4?

There are other rules. too. I've broken some with impunity. I save submerged whenever I need to, and have experienced no problems. (Man falls off 10-story building. As he passes his friends on the fifth floor, he calls out: "OK so far!") If you save near an active port then reload, the AI ships in the port will "go ballistic", crash into things, and sink. Then, if you save again and reload, that second save can CTD.
Old 08-13-14, 09:10 PM   #5
enjoi
Sailor man

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
First, you might want to delete the third sentence of your post. It puts you squarely in violation of SubSim's policy on software piracy: "We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing." They do enforce this.

Second, if you take a look around this forum, you will find that many people play GWX3.0. From their posts, you will see that GWX performs well and is pretty much bug-free. GWX3.0 has an excellent reputation for stability. From my own experience and that of many, many others, I can assure you that the problem you have experienced is not inherent in GWX.

But you have had a problem, and that problem is a fairly common one. Again, take a look around this forum and you will find that CTDs when loading a saved game are a common complaint. Occasionally this problem can be caused by a faulty mod. But usually it is due to actions by the user and is preventable. The GWX manual has a discussion of some of these causes, beginning on page 13. It's definitely recommended reading. Note that all the causes discussed there are inherent to SH3 itself, and will be experienced with any mod you care to install.

Some of the problems are due to poor software hygiene. Activating or deactivating any mods while on patrol can cause instability which will show up (not necessarily immediately) as CTDs on reload of a save. Saving over the top of a previous save (using the same name for a save without first deleting the old save) will cause CTDs on reload.

But all of these things are independent of the mods you have active. In fact, the issue of saved games failing to reload is endemic to the entire SH3,4,5 series, and is just as likely to afflict you when playing rockstock SH3. But if you follow "a few simple rules" , you can count on reliability and enjoy the game. DO read and heed the discussion of "Known Silent Hunter III Issues and Workarounds" in the GWX3.0 manual, all 5 pages (!) of it. It will save you grief whether you play GWX, rockstock, or any other supermod.

Now to answer the question you posed: GWX3.0 is preferred by a majority of SH3 players, but two other popular supermods are LSH3, and my favorite, NYGM. NYGM is generally agreed to be the most historically accurate in terms of gameplay and results. "NYGM doesn't have the best graphics, but it gives you a nice, accurate death." LSH3 and GWX both have more eyecandy and curb appeal, and the difference between these two is a matter of personal taste, although GWX is by far the most popular. It also has the largest number of compatible add-on mods made for it, so you can pretty much make it exactly what you want.

Since you already have a clean install, you are ready to load whatever supermod you choose. But don't reject GWX because you believe it caused your CTDs. It didn't.

Good luck and good hunting.

And do get rid of that third sentence before the "cops" come to call!
Remove the sentence for what? To avoid some kind of persecution? I said torrented it to try it then I PURCHASED it. If that hurts your feelings then kick rocks dude, I don't need and didn't ask for your personal approval on anything.

And you're either extremely ignorant or seriously biased because GWX is EXTREMELY buggy. I have 3.0, I have played it for half a year and have experienced nothing but instability and bugs that render the game unplayeable. And as you can see from additional comments on this thread I'm not alone.

And you think the Police are going to come arrest someone for torrenting a $10 game? Dude you're lame. I'm sorry man, but I can't stand self righteous people like you whom think they're in a position to judge anyone.

neither of my issues are due to inadequate hardware, I have a core i5 with 8gb of ddr3. MY machine can run games like Skyrim with ease, When it isn't crashing I can run SH3 maxed out with no lag.

And again you're wrong, GWX is too causing the CTDs, I have ran SH3 vanilla and War Aces without one single crash. Go away dude, you aren't helping at all.
enjoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 09:46 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
Remove the sentence for what? To avoid some kind of persecution? I said torrented it to try it then I PURCHASED it. If that hurts your feelings then kick rocks dude, I don't need and didn't ask for your personal approval on anything.

And you're either extremely ignorant or seriously biased because GWX is EXTREMELY buggy. I have 3.0, I have played it for half a year and have experienced nothing but instability and bugs that render the game unplayeable. And as you can see from additional comments on this thread I'm not alone.

And you think the Police are going to come arrest someone for torrenting a $10 game? Dude you're lame. I'm sorry man, but I can't stand self righteous people like you whom think they're in a position to judge anyone.

neither of my issues are due to inadequate hardware, I have a core i5 with 8gb of ddr3. MY machine can run games like Skyrim with ease, When it isn't crashing I can run SH3 maxed out with no lag.

And again you're wrong, GWX is too causing the CTDs, I have ran SH3 vanilla and War Aces without one single crash. Go away dude, you aren't helping at all.
My post was intended as a friendly bit of advice to head off intervention by the admins here (the "cops" I referred to). It was not intended as a judgment. I know that the admins often enforce that guideline pretty firmly. It has to do, as I understand it, with keeping good relations with UbiSoft, which allows the site a lot of freedom.

Those other comments are about SH3, not GWX.

Sorry if I bothered you.
Old 08-13-14, 11:39 PM   #7
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

GWX 3.0 is probably the least buggy of the mega-mods available for ANY of the Silent Hunter games. Just follow the rule of thumbs for SH3 saving and you should be fine with the saves. Don't save while submerged, don't save within render range of other ships and don't save close to land.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 05:31 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I now see three references at least (including quotes) as to the use of torrents.

Nobody is ever persecuted here on SibSim as far as I am aware but everyone is expected to adhere to the forum rules:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq....ules2_faq_item

Quote:
What is Subsim.com's stance in relation to torrents, warez ,and piracy?
SUBSIM Review has a longstanding policy against software piracy.
We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account and permanent ban. We do not care what you do on your computer in your home, but do not discuss it here.Support computer game programmers buy legally purchasing their work. They have to eat too, you know.

Discussion of torrents is also not allowed on this site. Please don't post links to torrents in our forum.

Abandonware: games that are 8~10+ years old and are no longer available for sale commercially by the IP owner will be exempted on a case by case basis. An inquiry may be made about the status of a particular game in the Classic Subsims forum. Subsim will make a good faith effort to clear the use of the game with the last known copyright holders. If we were to receive an objection or legal challenge, we would reverse our position is regards to the game in question.
The discussion re torrents ends now and thanks in anticipation of your cooperation.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 06:17 AM   #9
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
GWX 3.0 is probably the least buggy of the mega-mods available for ANY of the Silent Hunter games. Just follow the rule of thumbs for SH3 saving and you should be fine with the saves. Don't save while submerged, don't save within render range of other ships and don't save close to land.
I disagree. I played lot with GWX and was pissed off because corrupted saves. I changed to NYGM and saved game failures are allmost zero.
Old 08-14-14, 07:51 AM   #10
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

Why do people get so hot under the collar about some friendly advice. Kicking rocks sounds painful.
Old 08-14-14, 10:18 AM   #11
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obltn Strand View Post
I disagree. I played lot with GWX and was pissed off because corrupted saves. I changed to NYGM and saved game failures are allmost zero.
I've never had a single corrupted save in GWX unless I was breaking one of the SH3 saving rules. NYGM on the otherhand has given me more corrupted saves then any other mod i've played with.
Old 08-14-14, 11:18 AM   #12
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
I've never had a single corrupted save in GWX unless I was breaking one of the SH3 saving rules. NYGM on the otherhand has given me more corrupted saves then any other mod i've played with.
I probably follow same rules as they all came from this forum...
Weird
Old 08-14-14, 11:54 AM   #13
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obltn Strand View Post
I probably follow same rules as they all came from this forum...
Weird
Yeah it is weird isn't it? I wonder if it's like a steam engine where if you build 10 exact copies to the same exact design they're still different.
Old 08-14-14, 12:26 PM   #14
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

I have been playing NYGM exclusively for more than a year now. I like the gameplay, and now with vanjast’s wonderful 1920x1080 mod, I can play it widescreen at full rez on my rig. So I am hardly an advocate for GWX.

But I am interested in getting the story straight, because this forum is the place where a lot of noobs come to get their orientation to SH3. So I think it’s important that what those folks see here is as accurate as we, the community, can make it. Nothing turns someone off a game faster than recurring, unfixable problems. If you think that none of this applies to you, for whatever reason, just ignore the rest of this post.

Every time a poll is taken, a majority of respondents, usually over 60%, say they play SH3 with GWX. Many of these players are sophisticated users who have been around subsims for many years. It strains credibility to suggest that they are putting up with corrupted saves that CTD on loading. These players are neither lazy nor stupid. If they experienced such problems due to GWX, there would be widespread notice on this forum, There would threads describing work-arounds or fixes. Failing that, there would be a general exodus from GWX. That hasn’t happened.

Stock SH3 (and SH4 and SH5, too) has had well-established savegame issues going back at least to the release of SH3 1.4. Check the SubSim forums and you will see that this is true. There are well-known and well-publicized workarounds to avoid what seems to be inherent problems in the savegame and reload routines. These workarounds (the “rules” for when and how to save) seem to be useful, whether you are playing GWX, NYGM, LSH, or stock SH3. A lot of people follow those “rules” and get along just fine with whatever supermod they favor, without annoying corrupt saves. You may have experience that says that your particular environment is immune to those problems. If so, do whatever works for you.

I became very familiar with the corrupt-saves issue a couple of years ago, when I started experiencing CTDs with saves while playing (heavily modded) GWX. Eventually, they became so common that the game was not playable. So I switched to NYGM and a different mod load. There was no savegame problem for a while, but eventually, it started happening again.

That was when I decided that I had to do something about the problem or abandon the game. Fortunately, I had the time to devote to it. I spent full time, five and six days a week, for the better part of two months exploring what worked and what didn’t. A lot of what I learned can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205755. I found that neither GWX or NYGM was, by itself, responsible. Some additional mods, and some combinations of mods can cause the problem, though. GWX, only because there are more compatible mods for it, may be more susceptible than the others. Because mods that are compatible with GWX are not necessarily compatible with each other!

The old stand-by rules - no submerged saves, no saves near land, no saves near rendered unit, no saves during combat – are generally worth abiding by. I have broken all of them at times and gotten away with it, but it’s safer to live within them if you can.

Software hygiene is very important. You should not save using the same name as an existing save. Always delete the old save first. Then reuse the old name if you wish. Otherwise, a corrupt save is likely.

You should not activate or deactivate mods when you have saved in mid-patrol. This includes changes which restore the same mod list, in the same exact order. You should not, for example, deactivate all your mods, then reactivate them all in the same order. If you do, the chances are good the save will CTD on reloading.

You should not activate or deactivate mods unless you have rolled back SH3 Commander. This will corrupt, not just your saved game, but your whole install.

Whenever you start experiencing corrupt saves, the best and fastest solution is to uninstall EVERYTHING – SH3, mods, saved games. Then use a good registry cleaner. Then re-install from the ground up.

All of this was learned painfully, shared with others, and represents the collective experience of a lot of people and a lot of time spent playing and working with SH3. It seems to work well for the majority of players, and it is certainly a good starting point if you are having trouble. If you are not having trouble, but are just starting out and want to avoid trouble, it’s a good way to avoid problems.

This information is supplied, gratis, to help new players enjoy the game, and to help those who are having problems by sharing the experience of others. But if you are sure that this information doesn’t apply to you and your installation, then you have no reason to pay the slightest bit of attention to any of it. You may be right. YMMV.
Old 08-14-14, 01:07 PM   #15
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Yeah there are some mods I use that I know while they can work together and I love playing with them they have some exacting save requirements that make me only play them occasionally. The Warship mod for GWX for example is a mod I love playing with but unless you save in port you can't load without it CTD every time. Thus I play with it once or twice a month.