SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-13, 12:33 AM   #1
shegeek72
WAV

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0
Deck & AA gun repair problem

Just started playing SH4 again after a long hiatus, v. 1.4 stock except for a few sound mods. Trying to repair deck and AA guns after depth charge damage. On surface, damage control manned with 8 men, activated them in sub management (they are working in the control room). Aft deck gun shows 7 mins, AA gun shows 1 min. and they've stayed that way for at least one in-game hour. Tried manning both guns with same result. What's going on? Thanks.
shegeek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 09:19 AM   #2
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I'd pull into the nearest port to fix them. Sometimes, either because of game coding or the amount of repair needed, you have to pull into a refit port or home port to affect proper repairs.

There are a number of issues with the stock game as well and many of those issues were resolved by upgrading to 1.5 and added some of the better mods such as TMO, RSRD, RFB and OM.

Mods also have certain orders in which they must be loaded so if you do use them make sure to read documentation very well as to mod orders and multiple mod compatibility.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 09:32 AM   #3
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

The guns need to be staffed to carry out orders. In the crew screen, if the crew member is in black and white then he is off duty. If he is in color, he is on duty and will follow orders. If an entire station is in black and white, then nothing will be done.
Old 11-04-13, 10:50 AM   #4
Rammstein0991
Engineer

Downloads: 164
SHO

Another such bug is the (hole in ship) which funny enough disappears when you save and reload
Rammstein0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 11:41 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I can't tell you how, or even if, your guns can be fixed, but I think you would be better off in the long run if you get v1.5, ideally the "Gold Edition". With version 1.5, and your choice of mods, you will have a less buggy and much improved game.

Good luck and good hunting!
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 11:46 PM   #6
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Why is it that the presence of a woman instantly makes me want to fix my appearance, despite the fact that she can't see me?
Old 11-04-13, 11:56 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Old 11-08-13, 07:52 PM   #8
shegeek72
WAV

Downloads: 94

duh! Forgot I had to man the guns via the menu, as well as drag and drop them there.

Last edited by shegeek72; 11-09-13 at 01:40 AM.
shegeek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-13, 10:13 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Yeah, kind of defeats the purpose of "Battlestations", doesn't it.
Old 04-19-15, 03:56 AM   #10
Hegemony Cricket
Watch

Downloads: 48
Default Damaged AA guns not being repaired

Finally started playing SH4 (since SH3 wont run on W8.1, dang it). Playing 1.5 Gold Edition w/no mods. My deck guns were damaged by fighter attack, but for some reason are not being repaired. The repairs are listed in the priority list. The AA gun is manned by a CPO with 104 gun skills (he's really good at knocking down planes!), the DC party is fully manned, the boat is at GC, it is surfaced, and it is not rigged for silent running. After the better part of an hour there has been no progress on the repairs. Any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 05:41 AM   #11
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony Cricket View Post
Finally started playing SH4 (since SH3 wont run on W8.1, dang it). Playing 1.5 Gold Edition w/no mods. My deck guns were damaged by fighter attack, but for some reason are not being repaired. The repairs are listed in the priority list. The AA gun is manned by a CPO with 104 gun skills (he's really good at knocking down planes!), the DC party is fully manned, the boat is at GC, it is surfaced, and it is not rigged for silent running. After the better part of an hour there has been no progress on the repairs. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Although the gun is damaged there's a possibility that it's still operational.Have you tried it?
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 01:48 AM   #12
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony Cricket View Post
The AA gun is manned by a CPO with 104 gun skills (he's really good at knocking down planes!), the DC party is fully manned, the boat is at GC, it is surfaced, and it is not rigged for silent running. After the better part of an hour there has been no progress on the repairs. Any ideas?

Thanks!
First, shooting guns and repairing them are two different things.

Second, not all damage can be repaired. If it is severe, it will be harder/much harder/impossible to repair. It isn't realistic to expect all damage to be repairable; that's what the Navy had shipyards for.

It is better to avoid damage, than to bang your head against the bulkhead trying to repair it.

Oh, and Welcome aboard!