SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-17, 12:54 AM   #1
ceedub
Watch

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 glitching near Japanese ports

I'm running SH4 1.5 with latest TMO mod. When I finish my assigned mission in the Campaign, I usually try to creep into an enemy port to sink docked merchants.
But, after about 15 minutes of shallow water sneaking, the game freezes and I have to Alt-F4 out. I reload and same thing happens.
Eventually, I verify my game files with Steam...there's usually a ton of files missing that have to be re-acquired. I go through the process and reload and all is well, until I approach an enemy port, game freeze, etc.
For the time being, I am staying in open waters.
Does anyone else have this issue? My search of the forums turned up nothing.
ceedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-17, 01:11 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You can run into issues near ports due to the traffic load, but what you are experiencing sounds like something different from that. You mention having a Steam version of the game, and that when you go to do a compare with JSGME that you have files missing. Now, TMO does use a "-remove" directive in JSGME on two German Flag files in the Textues folders, but it's only two files, and they actually have very little to do with the game.

If you have the game installed into the "default" install directory of "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific", I would advise you to read Post#3 in THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX post. Re-install the game in a non-system folder, so that you don't run into MOD issues that are caused by Windows and its "Security". Some of us just delete the "Program Files (x86)\" part and go with "C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter" (or similar). Makes life a lot easier.

Also, make certain with the mods that you're using, that their folder structure is correct. See the JSGME documentation if necessary. There's a thread on SubSim here about it too. When you put a mod into your MODS folder, you want a folder with the mod's name, and directly below that, the "Data" folder for the game, with all the necessary folders beneath that. There might be a "Support" folder alongside the Data folder, and that would hold the documentation for the mod. You'll sometimes find that the modder has included options below the main mod folder, so you will then end up with a bit of a mess if you activate a "mod" that does not have the correct structure...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-17, 03:00 AM   #3
ceedub
Watch

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the response Propbeanie.

I may have found a solution.
On my last attempt to penetrate a Japanese port, the game froze up as before. But I did an Alt/Esc command back to the desktop this time, tapped back in, all was okay again.
Simple enough for the time being.

Cheers
ceedub is offline   Reply With Quote