SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-10, 05:31 PM   #736
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

@LGN1: No, the rpm is so low, that it isn't reduced when ordering silent-running. So rpm is unchanged. If I see things right, DP MAINLY depends on Silent-Running and engines rpm, but not (directly) on torpedo reloading.

New discovery:

If I reduce distance to destroyer from 2000m to 1800m, stealth meter is orange/brown even without engines running. Nice balance. Color does not change if I allow/disallow torpedo reloading by moving crew in/out of torpedo rooms. But it gets green when I order silent running.

If I reduce distance to destroyer to 1600m, stealth meter is dark-red even without engines running. So for this distance and lower there is no need for additional repair sound, because you'll be detected soon even without it. But stealth meter gets green when I order silent running.

So if I see things right, it would be nice to have a effect of repairs sound for longer distances > approx. 1800m.

I could give you my test mission for own testing.

One thought: I think life is hard enough for Kaleuns, especially in GWX, so I fear to make it even more harder. And I also think, the GWX and NYGM team spent many time in fine-adjusting sensor balance, and so I fear to break that, at least as long as I don't fully understand how things work.

But I'll not give up so fast.

Last edited by h.sie; 12-21-10 at 03:52 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 05:42 PM   #737
h.sie
Admiral

I forgot: My missions are in March 1944 with a Hunt II destroyer.
Maybe things look different in 1939.

Edith: Same behaviour in 1941.

Edith2: I think it makes sense to first find out if the stealth meter and DP really are strongly correlated to the behaviour of the destroyer and not only eye-candy.

Last edited by h.sie; 12-21-10 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 07:32 AM   #738
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@H.sie, LGN1,

The behaviour you are describing with the stealth meter may vary between super-mods. NYGM and GWX definitely have different detection models.

For NYGM, it is essential to go to silent running to avoid detection by a destroyer which is close, although it also depends on the stage of the war and the competence of the destroyer crew. Destroyer hydrophones and asdic are *much* more effective in late 1944 than 1939!

The 'state' of the U-boat is described within the SH3.exe code, where it can be 'hunter' or 'prey', or 'silent-hunter' or 'silent-prey', among other states. This state presumably is set with the 'statemachine.dll' code.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 12:00 PM   #739
h.sie
Admiral

Thanks, Stiebler, but I put this topic back to the long to-do list, until we have more information, currently I fear to do changes. h.sie

next topic: buoyancy/silent-running
Old 12-22-10, 03:26 PM   #740
Silent Ace
Seaman

Downloads: 64

Data on the maximum amount of air inside a ww2 submarine for 72 hours was incorrect.
Silent Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 04:01 PM   #741
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Ace View Post
Data on the maximum amount of air inside a ww2 submarine for 72 hours was incorrect.
Hi Silent Ace,

in the original U-Bootskunde document from 1940 for the VIIC is written on page 85: 72 hours for 37 men.

Why do you think this is wrong? What should be the right values? What are your sources?

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 04:20 PM   #742
h.sie
Admiral

Hi Silent Ace;

thanks for replying. I now also remember an older post of you regarding CO2/batteries. I also had that idea, but programming that isn't easy, so I set in on the todo-list for later, with more experience and after all essential fixes are done. I also like the idea to simulate defect batteries / chloride.

What in your opinion should be the correct diving-time / where did you get your information from?

h.sie
Old 12-22-10, 04:27 PM   #743
Silent Ace
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
Hi Silent Ace;

What in your opinion should be the correct diving-time / where did you get your information from?
comparative analysis of submarines incidents and the Russian documents
Old 12-22-10, 04:42 PM   #744
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Thanks for the answer, Silent Ace. What should be the correct time according to your sources?

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 04:46 PM   #745
h.sie
Admiral

And: Which documents exactly? references? very curiuos.
Old 12-22-10, 10:24 PM   #746
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
I also like the idea to simulate defect batteries / chloride.
Hiya h.sie

Sorry for the dissapearance, got sick and didn't start playing again till couple of days ago. It's been awhile but this is an idea you already had that we had started discussing about a month ago. In lieu of getting everything else finished you decided to put it aside for the time being, both of us agreeing without sdk this will be a major challenge.

For the mod to be realistic crew in the battery sections will have to take damage while they are in the exposed areas. An out of box solution I came up with is (would need to ask a GWX developer if its possible) to have a small mine detonate directly under that room, everyone in that compartment will take some damage as they would taking in lungfills of acid; albeit all at once.

Obvious potential road block is deliberating getting a mine with a very small yield to explode at a specific location only, and also have no clue as to simulating people that spend prolonged periods in exposed compartments to take more damage (gradually loosing hp like you do with resilience with fatigue on) without setting off another mine at set (but partially randomized) intervals to simulate further damage from expose, and to make anyone that is 100% health that goes into the compartment so that they'll take damage. One easy cheat would be to just swap out crewmen after they've been exposed, so they wouldn't take more damage - thus the need for continuous mine hits so that fresh people going in don't get a free ticket to do the repairs. Maybe have the mine detonate every 5 minutes +/- 3 minutes?

Since the reaction itself doesn't consume all its fuel at once, acid will continue to pour out until it either runs out of water or depletes all the batteries. Using the flooding models might be workable, just don't make the compartment implode if it fills up to 100%. While this wouldn't model the physical damage you take from the fumes it could effectively seal off a compartment if it isn't fixed in time. You could lengthen battery repair times and increase flooding in that compartment to simulate the buildup of gas. The flooding would obviously need to be greatly increased such that the bilges don't clear it before the batteries are repaired. Then if/when they fill to 100% they stay flooded such that they can't be cleared by the bildges to simulate a lethal enviroment (have inhaled my fair share of toxic fumes in my chem and o-chem labs back in college, a room full of acid like that would either kill you after 15-30 seconds of exposure or cause you to pass out, which you breath in 100% contaminated air killing yourself anyways).

Now that I'm in port am adding on some new mods (MaGUI widescreen, and see if I can get the merchant fleet mod working). Since I'm a 4gb patch user I can't just add this mod in easily like most others. Which is the file that gets modified? I don't relish the idea of uninstalling and re-installing; but could install to an alternate location, add GWX and then move over the virgin file(s) into my main folder. Afterwards apply this mod and then the 4 gb one and step right back into my current career.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 01:08 AM   #747
Silent Ace
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi Silent Ace,

in the original U-Bootskunde document from 1940 for the VIIC is written on page 85: 72 hours for 37 men.

Why do you think this is wrong? What should be the right values? What are your sources?

Cheers, LGN1

Give me a submarine whose crew endured 70 hours under water and I will give a sufficient number of submarine, whose crew were dead after 50 hours.
Old 12-23-10, 01:50 AM   #748
h.sie
Admiral

at the moment this answer is not concrete / sufficient enough to be considered in the mod. please show us some references.

Last edited by h.sie; 12-23-10 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-23-10, 01:59 AM   #749
h.sie
Admiral

@Tessa: If I start to model chloride/battery damage, I'll try to directly affect crew health values instead of modelling it by exploding mines. To be honest: I fear these changes, because I fear changes are too complex for being fixed in Assembler.

Unfortunately, I don't understand your last question about 4GB patch. But anyway I give you an answer:

1) Make a backup of your original sh3.exe

2) Patch it to V15D

3) Apply 4GB patch.

This should not take longer than 3-7 minutes. If something went wrong, restore original sh3.exe.

h.sie
Old 12-23-10, 04:10 PM   #750
ridley
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

Hi,

In a previous post you mentioned that the files in the "testing" folder in your downloads that the weather transitions mod would change the weather on the 1/2 hour. Is this still the case as I see the file date is after that posting?

Thanks

Ridley
ridley is offline   Reply With Quote