SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-16, 12:17 PM   #1876
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Even if you're not looking at me when you say that (), I'm sorry, and did not mean anything derogatory in any of my statements to anyone, but especially you. As I've mentioned before, I know next to Nothing (he and I were introduced at an early age), and am flailing most of the time here, so pay me no heed. The team wants / needs the cdrsubron7 perspective AND "cdrsubron7 Missions. Besides, you're helping s7trikeback with the Maru Names mod... please accept my humble apology, and just remember that I'm a former class clown and idiot... (the idiot part has & never will leave me). - Please stay active on the team.

As a little side note, I don't know if you've found anything in the Campaign MIS files there cdrsubron7, but I can find nothing, other than what you pointed out earlier with the maxunits, that would indicate a problem. From what I can tell, all the groups are properly defined, and all of them properly terminate - I think... but remember my lineage: I'm the least-skilled on the team. You're one of the ones who've taught me things of the game over the years...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 02:24 PM   #1877
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0

This is a suggestion only...You people have been working your a$$ off for quite some time on the mod...Take a 2 week break to relax and rest for the rest of the work that's ahead of you...Submariners are known for there patience and I am quite sure we can give you the time off for health and welfare consideration....
Old 09-13-16, 02:33 PM   #1878
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7
I reinstalled everything starting from scratch again. This time only adding the the Beta FOTRSU and CapnScurvy's mod. The Museum still crashes
I'm sorry those fixes didn't work for your Museum or binocular view. Things just don't always work out. We're working with a 12 year old game, that just isn't designed to work optimally on the newer systems.

Hang in there with the mission files. Those additions of yours are a large addition to the game. I hope you change your mind regarding leaving FOTRSU. We need all the help we can get, you've been a big part of it!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 02:54 PM   #1879
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Wolverine View Post
This is a suggestion only...You people have been working your a$$ off for quite some time on the mod...Take a 2 week break to relax and rest for the rest of the work that's ahead of you...Submariners are known for there patience and I am quite sure we can give you the time off for health and welfare consideration....
[InspectorClouseau]So yoo sink we are having some burn-out is-sues hmmm?... May-haps shoo are kor-rect sir![/InspectorClouseau]

Besides, RR has a bum Windows install, CapnScurvy wants to re-try his binoculars, and Jeff-Groves is stomping bugs in the naming convention and file types, which will most likely help not just with the museum, but the whole shmear... I second that emotion Rabid Wolverine. "Prepare to surface, prepare to surface, be ready on all four engines to charge the batteries!", and then we can just play the game - while Jeff-Groves works... - and it'll give us a chance to try to break other things... Ahead one-third! Aye, sir!

Old 09-13-16, 03:06 PM   #1880
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

cdrsubron7,

I still doubt it's your system. I've found so much stuff in so many files I'm amazed the thing runs at all. Never mind the Museum CTD!

I'll fix the Museum problem. It may take awhile but it will be fixed!
Not the first time I've traveled this road.
Old 09-13-16, 03:56 PM   #1881
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

NBB_Nelson converted to Unifiedrender controller.
Before dat size -3,025 KB
After dat size - 1,177 KB

One VERY good thing about the reduced file sizes?
As I run the converter it removes a Bunch of useless 3D objects and frees up a whole bunch of ID's also!
ID conflicts are hard to track down so this is a very good thing.
Old 09-13-16, 05:54 PM   #1882
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Think I'm teaching s7rikeback a few tricks and things to watch out for.

One of the greatest thinks I like doing is to help and teach others what I know.

Some of the greats helped and taught me so I want to carry on that tradition.
to my past Teachers at Subsim.
Old 09-13-16, 06:41 PM   #1883
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Anyone have a test mission with the Bismark only in it?
I want to test something but I'm not a mission creator.
Old 09-13-16, 07:09 PM   #1884
propbeanie

There's a mission with the Bismark that AOTD_MadMax used to test it and the Nagato, along with the catapult ship. You could look in the Google drive under WIP, and grab the TSM_AuthorUnknown.zip file, and use RakJap5 for a porpoise boat, or I modded the 5b for a Gar or Gato (can't remember). It does have 4 Allied BBs across the ways, and there is quite a bit of noise and way too much action for my computers. Lot's of shells to track in that one, but it is cool. It is quite a lot though, for a plain test. If you want, I can grab it, and and re-do with just the Bismark, and then later, some Merchies, including one that's "naked" on my computer, or just delete them also?

Once thing that we seem to have stumbled upon is that the Mission Editor is very picky when it comes to running a mission, and the game seems to have an issue if you change things after creating the mission, so anything we do might "bomb" on your computer. However, I can make it, let you look at what you have to do, and then delete the Bismark in the mission, and stick your version in... I'll post back shortly. Do you have a preference of locale...

Old 09-13-16, 07:10 PM   #1885
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Anyone have a test mission with the Bismark only in it?
I want to test something but I'm not a mission creator.
What do you want? A Bismark stationary, or one running past your submerged sub? Any preference on date of mission, time of day?

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 09-13-16, 07:42 PM   #1886
propbeanie

I got one with the Bismark running 5 knots West, then 10, then 15, then 20 knots, in a 12km box, with the Gar in the middle facing North at periscope depth. You'll have to travel about 20 minutes North at Standard, and should see them to your East...

Google Drive, WIP BismarkSquared.7z - It should work using JSGME and put it in the SingleMissions folder for you. Should be near the top of your Quick Missions list.

CapnScurvy's would probably be better.

Just remember that the text in the mis file may not match what you now have in your FotRS Ultimate install, and that may influence what you see. You might have to make it match, which text editing is probably the easiest...

Will s7trikeback be our new padawan for you and the Capn?... Don't let him go to the Dark Side!...

Old 09-13-16, 07:53 PM   #1887
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
I got one with the Bismark running 5 knots West, then 10, then 15, then 20 knots, in a 12km box.......
Sounds good propbeanie!!

By the way, does your Nomograph (the time/speed scale on the right of the nav map) look any different at your resolution after installing the FOTRS Air_Ship_Sound_2 mod? I also tried to get it to render within the same space as the default screen resolution (1024x768). Just wondered if its looking weird with a higher resolution......like the Binocular Compass?

Quote:
Old 09-13-16, 09:34 PM   #1888
propbeanie

Ya know, paint me ignorant... Let me go look. You'd think I would have noticed, and from what I'm remembering (what's my name??), It did seem to be smaller, more to the side. I'll be back with a screenie in a bit.

Old 09-13-16, 11:02 PM   #1889
propbeanie

OK, Jeff-Groves, it'd be advisable to NOT surface to speed things up... You can see the Bismark just fine from where you are at the start... It's less than 10,000 yards away, and can shoot pretty good, if you stay up top too long. Definitely a major improvement, CapnScurvy... I thought I'd try out CapnScurvy's binoculars, so I went up top, and did not hear the watch say "ship spotted!". So there I are, looking through the glass, and I look to the left, look to the right - "oh my gosh!"

Binocular with the Bismark, about 9900 out... crosshair to red when on it, but it takes a few tries to catch it red with all the up and downing you get when up top. No mark on the bearing dial like that though either, CapnScurvy. "Crash Dive!" I'm *really* glad I set the Bismark's crew to "Competent", and didn't leave them at Veteren...

Anyway, once below, I looked a little closer at my <F5> and get this:

The nomograph seems to actually be larger than before. Again, I'm set to 1280 x 1024 screen, on the video card and in-game, on an LCD that does that resolution "natively". I'll have to go downstairs to look at the other computer and see what it has. This is the little machine.

So here I am, out in the middle of the Pacific ocean, swimming around, when I seeze me this here Bismark, and I thinks to myself, what's a Bismark doing out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?... So I had to sink it!

Couldn't help myself. I ~had~ to put holes in it. That's one of the magazines cutting loose I guess and she slips beneath the waves... This is my install don't forget, and it still has the reflection issue, of course. Check yours Jeff-Groves with your fix, if you can stand sinking such a perty ship... tic

Anytime you sink a ship, you have to have

Our favorite boat... I removed all my other mods, including my top-secret hush-hush attempt to combine a couple lifeboat mods... I don't feel so bad now, 'cause this thing in FotRS goes backwards too... Roll the die - forwards, backwards, or stand still?...

btw, Jeff-Groves, the Bismark does 5 knots, as planned, and starts executing her first turn at about 1020, and completes it about 1035, now headed South and gets up to 10 knots. She will then execute her next turn counter-clockwise (this is Indy car territory) at about 1100, and completes that at about 1110. She then gets up to 15 knots, and I couldn't stands it no more... no patience, and I sank her. Six shots from about 680, six hits, six detonations... why's that not happen when you need it to?...

Edit: Ahoy, CapnScurvy! The nomograph is the same as before. I don't know why I thought it looked bigger... On the other machine, my binoculars and nomograph are the same. As a little side note for Jeff-Groves, the ships spawns about a dozen NLifeboat01 units, and one NLifeboat02. Within about 3 minutes, most of the liferafts have flipped, drowning most of the survivors, and the lifeboat has even sunk... It's not good to lose your ship in the middle of the Pacific in Silent Hunter 4... Goodnight!

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-14-16 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Edit:
Old 09-14-16, 06:48 AM   #1890
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Great! I can't wait to see Jeff's Bismark fix. That will be proof that all ships deriving from SH3 can be fixed. Of course, the GWX crew tried to tell the Aces of the Deep they were screwing the pooch and it started a donnybrook.

They should have told the AOTD in Haiku and let them try to figure THAT out.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote