SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-09, 01:37 PM   #1
Bob117
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Surface Ships

I didnt take the time to read all 16 pages of this thread. What I would really like to know is if there will be new surface ships in the game, and if there is will they actually have more capabilities not just a re skinned Oliver Hazard Perry to make you think you have something more powerful when you dont. Also i think it taking so long to come out should hopefully be a good thing this way the mod should be more in depth and as bug free as possible.

Last edited by Bob117; 08-29-09 at 01:53 PM.
Bob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 02:04 PM   #2
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

No, the only new surface playable ship is the udaloy.
The main reason being that with only the frigate's interface available there is not much choice as to the kind of playable ships you can add.
So no aircarft carriers, no arleigh burkes, no ticonderogas, etc... .
If you want those units, play Fleet Command or Harpoon.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 07:41 PM   #3
Mau
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
No, the only new surface playable ship is the udaloy.
The main reason being that with only the frigate's interface available there is not much choice as to the kind of playable ships you can add.
So no aircarft carriers, no arleigh burkes, no ticonderogas, etc... .
If you want those units, play Fleet Command or Harpoon.
Goldorak,
I think it is just too easy to say that we should play with Fleet Command or Harpoon. Why just improving subs. Don`t get me wrong, I do appreciate all improvements for that game.
It is just fair game to hope that the other platform will be updated as well.
Do understand that consoles interface is limited to one right now and I guess a lot of work would be needed for a new platform. That I am sure a lot of people like me can live with it.

What about an Australian Adelaide class. I mean we add new weapons with a 212 for exemple. Why not adding ESSM missiles in addition with SM-2 and Harpoon (as the Upgraded Australian Frigate). Just a suggestion and idea. That remains a platform conducting ASW (as I understand since a long time that it is the main purpose of that sim. However the surface platform needs to defend themself against that Underwater threat.

Just my 2 cents.
Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 01:09 PM   #4
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau View Post
Goldorak,
I think it is just too easy to say that we should play with Fleet Command or Harpoon. Why just improving subs. Don`t get me wrong, I do appreciate all improvements for that game.
It is just fair game to hope that the other platform will be updated as well.
Do understand that consoles interface is limited to one right now and I guess a lot of work would be needed for a new platform. That I am sure a lot of people like me can live with it.
Hey Mau you're kicking an open door with me. I've always been "angry" to see how surface and air units in DW were second or third class citizens. But short of redesigning the whole game there is simply no solution. Subs have always been privileged, although less than in DW 1.04.
Don't get me started on the whole "invisible masts" thing, making radar and even visual contact completely useless on airborne and surface units. How about the whole popping up in 2 seconds, fire a sam and go beneath the water. People that play subs and nothing else generally don't consider these advantages but they are real and to a certain extent render the game biased.

Quote:
What about an Australian Adelaide class. I mean we add new weapons with a 212 for exemple. Why not adding ESSM missiles in addition with SM-2 and Harpoon (as the Upgraded Australian Frigate). Just a suggestion and idea. That remains a platform conducting ASW (as I understand since a long time that it is the main purpose of that sim. However the surface platform needs to defend themself against that Underwater threat.
Just my 2 cents.
The problem is that all surface playables have to conform to the frigates dll interfaces. Look at the udaloy as an example (either in Alfa Tau or RA). In real life it has 2 cwis but the in game you will be able to use only one cwis, why ? Because the frigate only has one. Same thing with the cannon. You can change the graphics on the various stations, but deep under you will only have a glorified frigate. How is that cool ?
The other reason is that the RA team has not a lot o members, so doing a new playable takes time, a lot of time. As I've said in a previous post if the community would have helped in developping and designing RA with our russians friends much more could have been acomplished. But SCS stood in the way so we get what we get. Mind you that once you have the mod, nothing forbids you from adding new playables though (you'll have to learn to hack etc...) so if you're disatisfied by the number of playabled you can always design and add new ones.
Old 08-30-09, 06:21 PM   #5
Bob117
Sailor man

Default Graphiccs

Not that it really matters but will there be any strong graphical improvements in this mod? And also any additional aircraft? If this mod is still open for ideas Id sat the nimrod or the s-3 viking. Final question i know that you modders are limited by waht u can do because of lack of a source code but what about the ability to land player controlled aircraft on an aircraft carrier? You can land the helo on an nimitz carrier and it will take you to the loadout menu so hopefully it wouldnt be to hard to mod the game to allow u to land a p-3 on it or any other aircraft. oh and i jsut had another idea i see that its difficult to add new surface platforms but do u think it would be possible to add this improvement to the oliver hazard perry the ability to wireguide its own torps. i had a second suggestion but i cant remember atm

Last edited by Bob117; 08-30-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 11:50 PM   #6
Bob117
Sailor man

Default Refined ideas

Alrite well I understand there is just about absoultely nothing in the way of adding new surface platforms (sigh) oh well ill move on. ok well waht about aircraft can anything be changed in that area or added? like i said the nimrod would be a cool plane to fly i mean its basically the p-3 but since its jet powered woudlnt it have much greater handlng and speed?
Old 09-14-09, 03:35 PM   #7
Zander
A-ganger

Downloads: 346

My thanks to the RA team, CrazyIvan and everyone involved for this mod.
It's great to have people with the skills who go out and do this.
I really love this sim, it's one of my favorites.
Downloading now and will install later on today or tomorrow.
Again thank you very much.
Alex
Zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 03:56 PM   #8
:FI:Rabitski
Mate

Downloads: 26

Starting the missions with the TA extended seems to help as well, I'll stick to x8 just to be on the safe side.
:FI:Rabitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 04:02 PM   #9
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by :FI:Rabitski View Post
Starting the missions with the TA extended seems to help as well, I'll stick to x8 just to be on the safe side.
Read the documentation, its explained why you need to set maximum time acceleration to 8x.
There is a setting you need to change in the dangerouswaters.ini file to set the limit to 8x instead of 16.
Old 09-14-09, 04:58 PM   #10
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5

Might be a question for GrayOwl, but what could we expect from RA AI compared to what we've seen already in previous mods for DW???
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 05:02 PM   #11
Mast
XO

Downloads: 49
Thanks for the reply. Installed very easy. Found a small error in the Type 209/1400M. It's propeller turns the wrong way. Love the correct models of subs.
Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 11:30 AM   #12
Captain Sub
Gunner

Downloads: 8

------------------

Last edited by Captain Sub; 06-15-10 at 01:26 AM.
Captain Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 12:55 PM   #13
Matrosek
Nub

Downloads: 12

It's possible to add playable Kobben class in next version RA-Mod?
Old 07-24-10, 05:23 PM   #14
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Question for the RA team.

Do you think that the colors on the Virginia class control screens could be changed to reflect the real life control screen colors? He's a link to the RL virginia control display. http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10...html?tag=mncol
Old 07-25-10, 11:58 AM   #15
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
Question for the RA team.

Do you think that the colors on the Virginia class control screens could be changed to reflect the real life control screen colors? He's a link to the RL virginia control display. http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10...html?tag=mncol

Now - only job above bugs in the engine of game.

From that what colour of the interface Virginia is really nothing changes in gameplay.. Only empty expenditure of time on to alter interfaces.

Much more usefully - to clean serious mistakes (bugs).

As for example such:

http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/sho...postcount=1116

By the way - SubCommand game, by it this bug also.

SCS a code at all has not corrected, xe-xe...

It was " old arriving " bug from ancient times.It was corrected forever .

Last edited by -GrayOwl-; 07-25-10 at 01:13 PM.

Tags
reinforce alert