SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-18, 05:58 PM   #1
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Sound on the wrong side?

Hello fellow skippers!
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am trying to make the game as pleasant as I can get it!
So currently I'm playing the TMO Nine Delta Two mod, and it is really good so far, but there is still a problem that bugs me, and this problem occurs in stock, in this mod and in OM too: The sound inside the sub is like "turned around". If depth charges detonate on the left side, you hear them right, engine sound coming from the front etc. So, is there any solution for this? Sorry if this has been asked before, I might have overread it.
Thankful for any help,
geoff
Old 02-10-18, 06:56 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hmmm... have you done any "sound tests" in Windows for speaker assignments? Are you certain you have your speakers correct? Maybe put the left speaker on the right, and the right speaker on the left, or if using cans, put them on facing the other way?...

I've got one computer that plays everything "backwards", when compared to all of the other computers in the house, and I've got everything hooked-up correctly, according to its speaker jacks and labels, as well as the speaker cabinet labels, so I just put the left on the right, and the right on the left. Problem solved... sort of - I think it's the sub-woofer I'm using with the set-up.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 05:01 AM   #3
Geoff then
Gunner

Well it only occurs in the german subs, when playing standard TMO or anything else its just fine (in all US-subs it's correct), and on the deck it's fine too, its only while beeing in the control room (IXd2 and II in Om, havent looked into other subs yet) that the sound is turned around. The depth control is on the right, the TDC thing is on the left, to the front is the compass and engine controls, but still the engine sound is coming from that direction, so I cannot be mistaking this, right? In TMO nine delta two the dive angle has also been fixed so the engine sound is clearly coming from the front hehe. Thought this "problem" was known for sure, but if none of the greater mods ever fixed it (Om and TMO9d2) i just assume its hardcoded Ubisoft fubar.
Still, if anyone ever fixed this or knows any solution, please let me know.
And yes, that speaker config problem was well known to me since the early years when i got into gaming. "What? Left? Right? NO!"
Old 02-11-18, 08:25 AM   #4
propbeanie

So, no matter whether stock or modded, it's only in the Uboats Control Room in SH4? Most interesting...

I hadn't been a 'regular' around here and gotten a proper SH4 education until just the last year, so I'm not one to be asking about "discovery" in most points of the game. I've played the game regularly since it first came out, mostly fleetboats in TMO, and about the only thing I remember of things like this is that Ubi released an almost unplayable game initially. So much so that they released an update for it prior to me even getting my first DVD disk. It fixed two things, and broke three, which seemed to be the trend for the updates all the way through the v1.5 Uboats "add-on", which might have fixed two things and only broken one... - therefore, it wouldn't surprise me at all that they may have "drawn" the Uboat interior backwards in the soundscape, and not realized it. I'll have to go play me some OM later today now...

Old 02-11-18, 08:59 AM   #5
Geoff then
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
therefore, it wouldn't surprise me at all that they may have "drawn" the Uboat interior backwards in the soundscape, and not realized it.
exactly what I thought! Hope, there is a fix somewhere in the misterious depths of some modders creations.,,
Old 02-11-18, 12:06 PM   #6
propbeanie

Well, I've been through Stock and Operation Monsun, and they are the same... I had never noticed that before. Lurker's Type2 in OM is different, in that you are looking at the other end of the boat by default in the control room, compared to the 7 & 9 models, but when you accelerate, the "front" of the boat picks up (the end by the Officer of the Deck), and the sound of the engines seem to come from the front. I can't quite tell when in the conning tower, but it also seems to be set-up the same way, although it is difficult to tell which way is supposed to be "front" and "back" there, as far as the sound direction goes. If you get into the AA gun position, it is also difficult to tell, since it almost sounds like the engine exhaust is right below that position. We'll have to wait for someone more familiar with the situation to come along and comment, but it definitely seems "backwards" to me...

Old 02-11-18, 06:20 PM   #7
Geoff then
Gunner

Go and get depth charged and constantly switch from exterior to interior, so you see where the sound is supposed to come from. Then the Fubar gets more obvious

Good thing though, I'm not the only one...so I'm not crazy.

...at least not entirely
Old 02-12-18, 12:30 PM   #8
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206

Default Maybe yes, maybe no...

None of you are crazy, me neither I hope. If you listen closely to the sounds of the engines and the bow wave, you can confirm that the sound sources are "backwards" in the control room, the conning tower and at the hydrophone station. But, they are correct on the bridge, at the deck gun and flak gun and in both periscope views (and the UZO IIRC).

I've just shrugged and lived with it for a long time; although I seem to recall that once-upon-a-time someone, somewhere (either this forum or one of the other SH4 forums) identified the problem as somehow related to a "camera" issue.

You'll notice that the boat's trim follows the camera direction at those stations; whichever direction you are facing is the direction the boat will trim down when diving or up when rising and is also how it follows the wave action. It's a bit awkward to turn and watch the depth gages and "Papenberg" columns, especially in a "crash dive"; the starboard side follows the planesmen's actions. Your boat takes a twenty degree starboard list on the way down and just the opposite if you blow ballast for an "emergency surface"...what a ride...hoo yah!

Anyway, it's beyond my poor talent, but maybe there is someone around who remembers the conversations regarding camera problems and remedies and some sort of "fix" can be applied, which will also take care of the sound source problem.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 02:52 PM   #9
Geoff then
Gunner

Well, in Nine Delta Two at least that angle problem has been sort of fixed. I know it is BETA but I must say i've had the best uboat experience with this mod so far. Can only recommend it!
Old 08-12-18, 06:01 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default english, anyone?

while FOTRSU .72 is still cooking i thought i would try OpMonsun.
i got SH4 re-installed nice and fresh, organized all of the OPMonsun and OMEGU mods, fired it up and everything is German!!!
i searched both the forum and the d/l for an english mod but, no joy.

so, knowing how difficult it may be to search-and-find, i thought i would ask the forum for an English language translation mod for both the controls and the audio playback.
anyone?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\SilentHunter4\MODS]

1OpsMonsun_V705
2OMv705_to_V720
3OMv720_Patch5
4OMEGU_v300
5OMEGU_v300_Patch7
6OM_Med_Env
7OM_SH4_Command_Keys

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 08:47 PM   #11
propbeanie

I don't have Med_Env and SH4_Command_Keys, and mine is English. I'd have to add a German language mod to get it in German... Where did you get your files?

Old 08-12-18, 09:59 PM   #12
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I don't have Med_Env and SH4_Command_Keys, and mine is English. I'd have to add a German language mod to get it in German... Where did you get your files?
subsim d/l.
neither of those is the issue as i just removed them and restarted and my crew responded with german at the the start of the sim.

so should i just toss these mod files and re d/l the current ones?

LAA enabled
Old 08-13-18, 07:33 AM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

the culprit was the OMEGU mod.
{sigh}
nice graphics, though.
sorry to bother you, pb.

LAA enabled
Old 08-13-18, 09:43 AM   #14
propbeanie

I'll be back later on this evening, and I'll try to check my install. I've got OMEGU on mine, and they speak English... I think. Maybe my highschool German is so good that it's second nature to me... - oh that's rich... sorry, I have a difficult time anymore understanding "Ja! Mein Herr!"

Old 08-13-18, 04:34 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I'll be back later on this evening, and I'll try to check my install. I've got OMEGU on mine, and they speak English... I think. Maybe my highschool German is so good that it's second nature to me... - oh that's rich... sorry, I have a difficult time anymore understanding "Ja! Mein Herr!"
ja.
ja.
ent shul di gung. ich sprechen nur ein wenig deutsch. mein vocabular is klein.
vielen klein, nicht war?

LAA enabled