SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-16, 09:09 AM   #5716
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsue View Post
Hello Vecko, I hope you're not ready to release a new Update in the near future because I'm just about to leave Lorient on my second patrol..
No, but even if I do it will probably be "enable on patrol" friendly...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 10:45 AM   #5717
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Struggling to find the gaming time to complete 48 hour patrol objectives.
With real navigation a lot more time is used searching, diving, listening, re-positioning.
The Enigma machine also now has to be added to gaming time although I am sure I will get quicker at it in time.
I am having to rush through a lot of the 48 hours using TC so I can get my promotion point, make a game save and then go to bed.
I can now take my own time before moving to the next patrol area to get my second point.
On the next gaming session I will position the boat just far enough away before the next radio message is received, save and exit.
The next gaming session I will start the second 48 hour patrol objective and see how far I can get through it before having to high TC to finish it.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 11:05 AM   #5718
palmic
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 5
Default [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod

Haha, you're hardcore man sir

To search contacts at patrols, i am using this script: search -> search on patrol-> no station hydrophone check for real nav

It has best behavior for me.
You just point your heading to your wanted course, secure to be emerged, close doors in radio room to secure best condition for sound engineer, position yourself anywhere inside to allow submerging and start the script.
It's moving forward emerged and looking for contacts submerged in your track periodically and use tc to spare your time..

Sent from phone
palmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 01:37 PM   #5719
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Struggling to find the gaming time to complete 48 hour patrol objectives.
With real navigation a lot more time is used searching, diving, listening, re-positioning.
The Enigma machine also now has to be added to gaming time although I am sure I will get quicker at it in time.
I am having to rush through a lot of the 48 hours using TC so I can get my promotion point, make a game save and then go to bed.
I can now take my own time before moving to the next patrol area to get my second point.
On the next gaming session I will position the boat just far enough away before the next radio message is received, save and exit.
The next gaming session I will start the second 48 hour patrol objective and see how far I can get through it before having to high TC to finish it.
Peter
It's pretty much the same like before if you know that "patrol timer" can be restarted if you leave the designated area, save/reload the game, and enter the zone again...
Old 09-04-16, 03:10 PM   #5720
palmic
Grey Wolf

Sorry for spam, but if you would like to see some documentaries about WWII submarine war, check this thread and if you have some more doc's dont hesitate to add.
Brave men on both sides deserves you to watch their stories

Last edited by palmic; 09-04-16 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 03:10 PM   #5721
giosam
Swabbie

Downloads: 136
Default Whales

Hi to everybody and apologise for my bad english.
I returned after 3 years on board and I'm using the exelent mod TWoS with real navigation. But I spend a half day to lookinng for a ship that my sonar guy heard and I realize that was a whale! I also found that in OH II dolphins and whales are mentioned as ships. This is ridiculus! I'm not a fishing boat I'm a submarine and I'm hunting ships not whales! I want to ask if there is a way to discharge from this bug, because I can't go to hydrophone for every single contact that my sonar guy hear. If there is not a way I will abandon the submarine and I will looking for more realistic games.
giosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 03:31 PM   #5722
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmic View Post
Sorry for spam, but if you would like to see some documentaries about WWII submarine war, check this thread and if you have some more doc's dont hesitate to add.
Brave men on both sides deserves you to watch their stories
Still no this one in your list?

And this one is particularly interesting because it offers, let's just say, a somewhat "different" point of view...Sadly only in German with Croatian translation...If anyone could fine this documentary with English translation, that would be really great...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-04-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 05:09 PM   #5723
palmic
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Still no this one in your list?

And this one is particularly interesting because it offers, let's just say, a somewhat "different" point of view...Sadly only in German with Croatian translation...If anyone could fine this documentary with English translation, that would be really great...
I have to revidate, hopefully tomorrow
Old 09-04-16, 06:07 PM   #5724
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3
Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosam View Post
Hi to everybody and apologise for my bad english.
I returned after 3 years on board and I'm using the exelent mod TWoS with real navigation. But I spend a half day to lookinng for a ship that my sonar guy heard and I realize that was a whale! I also found that in OH II dolphins and whales are mentioned as ships. This is ridiculus! I'm not a fishing boat I'm a submarine and I'm hunting ships not whales! I want to ask if there is a way to discharge from this bug, because I can't go to hydrophone for every single contact that my sonar guy hear. If there is not a way I will abandon the submarine and I will looking for more realistic games.
Having a whale of a time are we? I got caught out like the one time while up around the Faroe Islands chasing in all different directions until I decided to check the hydrophone contacts myself only to discover that the contacts was a pod of migrating whales! It taught me to listen myself before heading off on a wild goose chase. That being said, during a long patrol when all the fresh and perishable supplies were exhausted, the U-boat crews would sometimes hunt if the opportunity presented itself to supplement their diet. This included included among other things, polar bears, sea turtles, fish and probably the odd dolphin or two!. Maybe you could shoot a whale or a dolphin so the cook has fresh meat to make a special meal for everyone..

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 10:18 PM   #5725
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Support Channel lights at Lorient.

Lorient would be a fun port to enter on a dark stormy night. Except for the two light houses, there doesn't appear to be any other navigation beacons
marking the channel etc as the other ports such as Memel, Kiel and Wilhelmshaven have. Does anyone know if they have they just been omitted, or is
there some other reason for this? I suppose with French Champagne and Mademoiselle's waiting in port, expecting them to light the way as well
may be just expecting a little too much...

Last edited by kevinsue; 09-05-16 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-05-16, 02:31 AM   #5726
mr.artur_96
Loader

Downloads: 209

Is there a chcance to randomise weather at the beggining of patrol and for more rainy days ?
mr.artur_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 05:14 AM   #5727
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsue View Post
Except for the two light houses, there doesn't appear to be any other navigation beacons
marking the channel etc as the other ports such as Memel, Kiel and Wilhelmshaven have.
I'm not following you? Lorien should have plenty of light buoys...
Old 09-05-16, 05:47 AM   #5728
palmic
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Yep it has, i returned from patrol just yesterdays evening (around 4:00 ingame) and there was best navigation i saw.

Green to the right and red ones to the left
Old 09-05-16, 06:24 AM   #5729
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosam View Post
....I spend a half day to lookinng for a ship that my sonar guy heard and I realize that was a whale! I also found that in OH II dolphins and whales are mentioned as ships. This is ridiculus! I'm not a fishing boat I'm a submarine and I'm hunting ships not whales! I want to ask if there is a way to discharge from this bug, because I can't go to hydrophone for every single contact that my sonar guy hear. If there is not a way I will abandon the submarine and I will looking for more realistic games.
This is more a limitation than a bug. I don't think there is a way to make "environmental" contacts, or any other contact for that matter, to be reported in game other than as merchant/warship/submarine/aircraft/coastal defence (this is including also watch crew reports). So, the choice is about making marine life to be wrongly reported as ships, or not be reported at all. I think most modders (me included, as far as the whales are concerned) opted for the first option, because if the player had to rely exclusively on his own eyes and ears, he would hardly spot those animals.

Making the crew not to report them should be an easy tweak though

Last edited by gap; 09-05-16 at 03:57 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 07:31 AM   #5730
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Quote:
Really!...I never saw a single buoy coming in, and it's a tricky port to enter. Took a while to find the U-boat pen as well. Drove right by the entrance the first time as I could only see the top of the building after I had sailed around the bend after the second light house. Finally found it and docked before the crew mutinied for cutting into their shore leave!