Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-09, 08:53 AM   #16
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
Just a realist, Jim. I hope for the best and expect the worst.
Keep the faith my friend....I have a good feeling about this

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 08:57 AM   #17
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Keep the faith my friend....I have a good feeling about this

Yep. Me too. I think this sim will be excellent.....I'm just not sure how 'finished' it will be when they release it. We'll see.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 09:12 AM   #18
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I purchased SH2, then pre ordered SH3 & SH4 (though I never actually played SH4). I agree with Neal & will also support the continuation of the Silent Hunter series by pre ordering SH5 as well. I'm optimistic that this version will be a hit!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 09:57 AM   #19
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Whilst I do agree that SH4 was released too early (especially in the radar dept) I think Ubisoft has probably learned from the experience.

The presence of guys like Dan & Mihai here on the forum sometimes even late at night show they have a true committment & love for the subject that goes way beyond the 9 to 5 job mentality.

Rather than boycotting the release and punishing Ubi we should be encouraging them, actively asking for addons and expansions, showing them the product "has legs" and making them think twice about splitting up and re-assignning the dev team at the end of project as they have in the past.

I don't agree that anyone else would step in to fill the breech if Ubi disappeared why bother when you can make a cute "dress the puppy" game in a couple of months with a third of the SH devteam and sell ten times as many copies on the consoles as SH ever will on the PC. Ubi are showing faith in the subsim genre and we must return the favour that's the "common sense" approach as far as I see it.

Let's face it SH costs about the same as 2 crappy Hollywood DVDs you watch once and never watch again. Look at the amount of time SHIII has been out and people are still playing and enjoying it years and years later, to say that's not a good return on investment even at full RRP is just nuts.

Last edited by Sonarman; 08-21-09 at 10:14 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 10:18 AM   #20
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
i will buy it through subsim as soon as its available neal is right i dont think there going to make the same mistakes we all make mistakes and we also have the power to change them i think sh5 will be great if not the japs will here from me again with a bow shot in 32 seconds my boat is always ready for anything

lt commander lare
Lt commander lare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 10:41 AM   #21
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I see only one bug in this game. Watch the trailer one more time. The cook...he is thin....I do not eat were the cook is thin. Get this changed to a fat jolly old fellow.
Hah, you know why the fat guys were never accepted into submariners ? Because they would probably stuck in the hatch hole
Old 08-21-09, 10:50 AM   #22
Dimitrius07
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Let's celebrate what the game will undoubtedly become
No problem , lets start with Living Crew, i want to drink a bear for that one, care to join
Old 08-21-09, 10:57 AM   #23
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
I say all this because we don't want a whole load of bitching and moaning and people stating that Ubisoft sucks and they want to sue the company etc. We've seen and heard it all before and it's very boring.
But...but...but...

I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't preorder SH3, but I bought it the soon after release even though it was more than a month before I had a computer that could run it. I bought SH4 a little late, mainly because I was homeless at the time and had no money. As soon as I had the money I bought it and put it in my storage space with my computer. My old PC still doesn't run it well, but I play it anyway on minimum settings and live with it.

I'll preorder SH5, and if money is tight I'll buy it as soon as I can. Even if it's flawed, it's still looking like something new and different, and worth having. Hopefully it won't be too flawed, and will be working properly within a patch or two. Whatever happens, I'm in, if for no other reason than to selfishly say that I was there.
Old 08-21-09, 10:57 AM   #24
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I see only one bug in this game. Watch the trailer one more time. The cook...he is thin....I do not eat were the cook is thin. Get this changed to a fat jolly old fellow.
We had a fat cook on the boat, and by fat I mean 300lbs plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
Hah, you know why the fat guys were never accepted into submariners ? Because they would probably stuck in the hatch hole
Same guy as mentioned above, although rumor had it when he checked on-board he was a pretty trim guy. It was his MSC that turned him fat. I believed it after meeting the guy to. I kept taking bets every patrol that this would be "the one" that he would eat himself into the boat.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 11:34 AM   #25
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

I am happy and grateful to Ubi just for coming out with another subsim. This indicates long term commitement to the genre. This commitement makes Ubi deserve our support.

Bitching about a product that has not yet been released is simply childish.

A good subsim a la Ubi is complex enough that bugs will not show up until a large number of players get their hands on it. That is when reports and constructive critique come into play.

Ubi devs visit this forum and other sites associated with our community and they listen.

I sincerely hope that this time, Ubi will keep Neal in the loop. The GWX team, could also be of great help prior to release.

(signing on the doted line )
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Brag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 11:39 AM   #26
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

I agree completely, but I will take this further. I know that they will release a game that contains bugs, even if they learned from previous problems and try to make the released version as bug-free as possible. There will be bugs in any program.

Also, the game will be an advancement over SH3 and SH4. But not as advanced as it could be. The developers will apply what they learn to SH6.

SH6 will be much better than SH5. The graphics will be better, the campaign will be better, the gameplay will be better.

With this in mind, it only makes sense to skip SH5, and wait for SH6 to come out. I'm sure it will be much better than SH5.

And this way, we can donate all that money that we would have spent on SH5 to Neal. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Razark
razark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 11:45 AM   #27
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I agree completely, but I will take this further. I know that they will release a game that contains bugs, even if they learned from previous problems and try to make the released version as bug-free as possible. There will be bugs in any program.

Also, the game will be an advancement over SH3 and SH4. But not as advanced as it could be. The developers will apply what they learn to SH6.

SH6 will be much better than SH5. The graphics will be better, the campaign will be better, the gameplay will be better.

With this in mind, it only makes sense to skip SH5, and wait for SH6 to come out. I'm sure it will be much better than SH5.

Razark
You can think the same way about SH7, SH8 and so on. What gives ? you can skip your whole life waiting for a best of the best that will not going to happen if you'll continue to think like that
Old 08-21-09, 11:52 AM   #28
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
You can think the same way about SH7, SH8 and so on. What gives ? you can skip your whole life waiting for a best of the best that will not going to happen if you'll continue to think like that
You got my point, while completely missing my point.

If we all skip buying SH5, there will never be a 7 or 8, much less a 6.
razark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 11:55 AM   #29
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Let's see: $50 divided over 2.5 years I've played SH4, that's 913 days is about a nickel a day. I'd say that is a pretty reasonable price....
Every upgrade I've made to my computer, I've made so it could run the latest incarnation of Silent Hunter. After viewing the trailer, it's quite evident I'll need to upgrade again. So, for me, the price isn't just the price of the simulation. It also includes the price of new computer components.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 11:56 AM   #30
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

I will probably buy it in the U.K online somewhere...i dont want to support the national artists rights protection here that basically takes 50% of the profits because their so called registered 'artists' are basically non-talented people that cant make money on their own,i want the profit to go to Ubisoft and it will save me money..

Even blank dvd's have an extra tax because they think everybody uses them for illigal software and music/movies..and they do:rotfl:except yours truly offcourse..

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote