SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-11, 02:41 PM   #1
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Sh3.exe and Asdic in shallow waters

From October 1944 - May 1945, U-boats with schnorchels patrolled very close to land around the British Isles, relying on the poor detection ability of Asdic in shallow waters, with their fast tides, large rocks and ancient wrecks.

SH3 does not model this failure of asdic in shallow water at all.

I have been looking at the problem, and have now a functioning double-code patch that changes asdic capability according to the depth of the sea. Specifically, the 'minimum surface' (MS) of asdics (original values found in file AI_Sensors.dat') are now changed according to sea-depth in four bands:
Depth > 150m: MS = 100 (m2, metres squared).
Depth >100m: MS = 150
Depth >50m: MS = 200
Depth < 50m: MS = 300.

These changes are not dependent on the year, they will apply throughout the war.

However, for some reason the properties (range, angle, MS, etc) of the asdics are not connected to their names, after loading into SH3. For this reason, I have found it necessary to use a unique value for asdic minimum surfaces, that is, the original value of 100.0 (in NYGM), for identification purposes. But other versions of AI_Sensors.dat use values different from 100.00 (eg GWX, value =0.0).

Therefore I have three queries:
1. Does anyone actually play SH3 around Britain in 1944-1945?
2. Will users be happy to change the minimum surface values of their asdics (only the asdics) to 100.00 in their files data\library\AI_Sensors.dat? It will require manipulation of this data file with a data editor (eg FileAnalyzer, or S3dtor), and the changes cannot be made with a text editor. [Thought: perhaps I could supply these files for stock and GWX as part of the patch-kit.]
3. NYGM has always used the MS=100.00 values, but my other choices of 150, 200 and 300 for decreasing depths are pure guesses. Would anyone be interested in testing this mod, once I have settled the other issues above? It will require a revised SH3Sim.act file, which I can supply, and an extra patch-kit for H.sie's V16A3 patch for SH3.exe.

Otherwise, I shall just keep the mod to myself!

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 02:46 PM   #2
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Wow Steibler that is amazing. I would definitely be Interested in this for U-Boot_HAHD.
This would suit perfectly the TypeII as they are perfect boats for in the shallow's which we are basing our first Release on.
I'll get Makman94 to talk to on this matter as hes currently looking into sensors for our Mod.

EDIT: Hi Mate sent you a PM on this Would be happy to test

Last edited by reaper7; 11-05-11 at 03:01 PM.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 04:01 PM   #3
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Hum...might make bottoming a u-boat a viable evasion tactic like it was in real life.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 04:26 PM   #4
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

A simple concept, avoid shallow water, where there is the issue of a need....

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 05:06 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Hum...might make bottoming a u-boat a viable evasion tactic like it was in real life.
Agreed.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 01:10 PM   #6
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Wow Steibler that is amazing. I would definitely be Interested in this for U-Boot_HAHD.
This would suit perfectly the TypeII as they are perfect boats for in the shallow's which we are basing our first Release on.
I'll get Makman94 to talk to on this matter as hes currently looking into sensors for our Mod.

EDIT: Hi Mate sent you a PM on this Would be happy to test
i will fully gladly help Stiebler (if he want or need any help-tests) as much i can in sensors part becuase i believe that correct working sensors is the number one in list for having a 'realistic' gameplay (as far we can achieve )

@Stiebler : Excellent idea the asdic in shallow waters !!! as long as you are in this part in .exe ...please have a look at the 'vampire nights' issue (own crew has very large visual ranges during nights .tweaks at light factors at sim.cfg and sensors.cfg doesn't 'help' much to 'beat' this). so , i believe that a selective sensors project (meaning the game 'reads' other visuals during afternoon and other during deep night ) will solve the issue and will be an 'evolution' at final gameplay. if you have the will ...just have a look at it,i believe that it worths the effort !

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 02:08 PM   #7
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
i will fully gladly help Stiebler (if he want or need any help-tests) as much i can in sensors part becuase i believe that correct working sensors is the number one in list for having a 'realistic' gameplay (as far we can achieve )

@Stiebler : Excellent idea the asdic in shallow waters !!! as long as you are in this part in .exe ...please have a look at the 'vampire nights' issue (own crew has very large visual ranges during nights .tweaks at light factors at sim.cfg and sensors.cfg doesn't 'help' much to 'beat' this). so , i believe that a selective sensors project (meaning the game 'reads' other visuals during afternoon and other during deep night ) will solve the issue and will be an 'evolution' at final gameplay. if you have the will ...just have a look at it,i believe that it worths the effort !

bye
I seconded that. Fully agrre with makman94. A tweek/fix on visual sensors is a must have, a real necessity for sh3. We already have gone so far in mods but that vampire nigth view is yet a total immersion killer and irrealistic.

Now, coming back to the main issue here, great work Stiebler! Looking forward to this new mod. PM me if you yet need beta testers.
Old 11-06-11, 02:16 PM   #8
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Thanks a lot for the reply, Stiebler!

If one has to touch the AI_sensor.dat anyway, one could enter values for maxheight that would allow an identification

Anyway, while thinking about it, I remembered that for some sensors the value from the sim.cfg file is used if the value is 0. For sonar this is 100 m^2 in GWX. However, the other sonar parameters differ from NYGM, so it's important for those not using your mod with NYGM to (maybe) adjust the value.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 02:23 PM   #9
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

This is going to be another great addition to Sh3

Were sensor ranges effected by weather in real life, if so maybe its possible to do similar to h.sie WIP Torpedo duds fix by applying decreasing range by waveheight
And also as mentioned above with the Vampire Vision of players U-Boat (Sensors.dat) and the AI Visuals (AI_Sensors.dat) could these be decreased as light levels dropped.
So there would be different values applied to Visual sensor for Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night and possibly Fogy conditions.

Any changes required to files for your Mod to work, will be Included with the U-Boot_HAD Mod to maintain compatibility with your work
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 08:29 PM   #10
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
SH3 does not model this failure of asdic in shallow water at all.

I have been looking at the problem, and have now a functioning double-code patch that changes asdic capability according to the depth of the sea.
Sounds very interesting. Would certainly be a most welcome addition.

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 11:56 PM   #11
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Could be fun to test... I think I missed parts of it in the technical...
Explain again slowly the meters squared part, please?

I play NYGM so it wouldn't be a stretch...
Old 11-06-11, 04:20 AM   #12
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91

definitely interested.
The meaning of "minimum surface of asdic" is totaly unclear for me.

Last edited by ETsd4; 11-06-11 at 04:32 AM.
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 04:30 AM   #13
complutum
Torpedoman

Downloads: 384

interested on testing, i'm a GWX user
complutum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 05:30 AM   #14
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Thanks for the interest, those above.

But no one mentioned 1944-1945, did they? Hmmmm..

'MinimumSurface = 100.0 metres squared':
This means that the asdic must contact 100 square-metres of U-boat hull in order to send a contact-ping back to the transmitting warship. If the value is raised to 300 in very shallow waters, then 300 square-metres of U-boat must be contacted (about 17.5 x 17.5 metres.)

The value in GWX = 0.0. Maybe that explains why no GWX user ever makes it to 1944-1945.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote